PDA

View Full Version : Shaw Online Bandwidth Check

koopkoop2
03-24-2005, 06:12 PM
Can someone please give me the link to the page where I can check my bandwidth usage, with Shaw.

tictactoe2004
03-24-2005, 06:53 PM
https://secure.shaw.ca/register.asp

make your account and log in, i'm pretty sure thats the page, I'm at work right now, so I cant check at the moment... but that should be right

koopkoop2
03-24-2005, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by tictactoe2004
https://secure.shaw.ca/register.asp

make your account and log in, i'm pretty sure thats the page, I'm at work right now, so I cant check at the moment... but that should be right

Yep, I've registered, scoured the entire site and can't find it. Apparently, under the section titled "My Shaw Internet Services", there should be a link titled "Modem Usage". I don't see this link, but I was reading on another fourm that this link is only enabled after your first BW abuse warning. I don't know if this is true or not, but I would still like to be able to monitor my usage regardless of my abuse status.

Can anyone verify any of this?

KoukiS14
03-24-2005, 07:01 PM
Hmm i always thought that your Modem Usage was available all the time. I never really even knew about it til Shaw called me. If you can't find it perhaps you should email shaw's tech support and get it activated.

xDiMSuMx
03-24-2005, 08:09 PM
http://secure.shaw.ca
right under the balance there's a link for it

that's where mine is

koopkoop2
03-24-2005, 08:55 PM
Nope. It's not under my balance.

Xtrema
03-24-2005, 08:56 PM
Not everyone gets it. And thank god that you don't so you have another excuse to go over.

Ed the SOHC
03-24-2005, 09:15 PM
You only have that option if you get warning about a bandwidth issue or you can ask them to turn that feature on for you.

koopkoop2
03-25-2005, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by Ed the SOHC
You only have that option if you get warning about a bandwidth issue or you can ask them to turn that feature on for you.

Excellent.

I've been in violation a few times, but only by a few gigs.I thought the system was automated and the moment you went over, it automatically delivers an e-mail and flags your account for follow-up. Although, I don't know if any of these e-mails have ever been sent becasue the account is under my Dad's name and he is the sole user of the account's e-mail.

I might be wrong and it may be heavily reliant on a manual process because he would've asked me, if Shaw had ever inquired about such a matter.

BTW, the BW limit is 20Gb/ month, right?

To the people that have had calls from Shaw, would you mind posting a quick response - with your usage for the month of the warning?

vietdood
03-25-2005, 01:05 AM
i went over my bandwidth and cut off my internet so the cable light on the modem just kept blinking and i had to talk to one of their representatives about half a year ago.

i'm fcuking flagged right now. my internet keeps cutting out every 20 minutes for 5-10 minutes because they don't want me going over. i'm only at 22gb down and 5gb up for this month and they're already trying to cut me.

xDiMSuMx
03-25-2005, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by koopkoop2

BTW, the BW limit is 20Gb/ month, right?

To the people that have had calls from Shaw, would you mind posting a quick response - with your usage for the month of the warning?

i don't think there's an actual set limit
i'm over 50 gb every month

the time they did call me about using too much, i was over 120gb

KoukiS14
03-25-2005, 09:13 AM
The bandwidth limit "guidelines" are 6gig down and 2gig up per month. These are only guidelines and are not enforced. When i was called for my 80gig down and 120gig up month they told me of this "guideline". I repeatedly go over on my downstream (20-40gig/month) but rarely go over on the upstream. I havent been called since. I was also told they are more concered with the upload usage.

koopkoop2
03-25-2005, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by KoukiS14
The bandwidth limit "guidelines" are 6gig down and 2gig up per month. These are only guidelines and are not enforced. When i was called for my 80gig down and 120gig up month they told me of this "guideline". I repeatedly go over on my downstream (20-40gig/month) but rarely go over on the upstream. I havent been called since. I was also told they are more concered with the upload usage.

Thanks for the replies. Yours, and the one above it,are reassuring
becasue I have always thought the limit was 20 Gb / month. I've always hovered around that mark, but now I think I'll start pushing it a little more:D :rofl: :rofl:

WillChan
03-29-2005, 12:12 AM
This site (https://secure.shaw.ca/policy/Use-Policy.asp/) was what I was referred to when I went over on my bandwidth usage. Point number 8 states the exact numbers for bandwidth usage. Since the lowest number stated is 50 gigs, I'm assuming that they expect residential customers to use less than the 50 gig one (which is the enhanced residential service I think).

hub714
04-02-2005, 05:00 AM
for normal internet users (not Xtreme-I) the "guideline" is 20gb but you can go to about 25-30 and it SHOULD be ok...they called me at 35 once

for Xtreme-I its 50 hard limit. they call you once you're like...1mb over (it happened to me last time)

EDM
04-02-2005, 09:57 AM
woo mine looks like a bell curve skewed to the left :nut:

d-UNiT
04-02-2005, 12:05 PM
yeah i was wondering what happened when i woke up at 5am and saw my cable modems cable light completely off, and being unable to connect to the internet.. WTFFFFFFFFFF

i guess ive been downloading too much "stuff"

but yeah it went back on at like 930 but i dunno i still couldnt connect to the internet

Stealth13
12-06-2009, 01:22 PM
Wow thats weird, Im at over 200gb download this month and they haven't said a word. I just have the normal high speed too

beecue
12-06-2009, 01:27 PM
:rofl: How did you manage to bump a 4 year old thread?

mekeni
12-06-2009, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by beecue
:rofl: How did you manage to bump a 4 year old thread?

:werd: :confused: :nut: :rofl:

BrknFngrs
12-06-2009, 01:39 PM
This thread highlights why we need to get a group of people together to share hi-def tv series, etc (the bandwidth hog type stuff) so everyone isn't killing their bandwidth getting hi def stuff others already have. ;)

Benny
12-06-2009, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Stealth13
Wow thats weird, Im at over 200gb download this month and they haven't said a word. I just have the normal high speed too

Yeah that was back in the good old days when they actually gave a half a shit about how much bw you used. I haven't gotten a call from shaw in YEARS haha.

Stealth13
12-06-2009, 02:59 PM
I have never got a call once and we go over it by at least double every month

dollarbillz
12-07-2009, 11:33 AM
I have extreme and download maybe 200gb one month and like 50gb the next month then back to 250gb etc... if you don't have constant spikes you should be good