PDA

View Full Version : Any Tips?

5hift
03-26-2005, 01:50 PM
Hey guys I've been trying to sell my Mom's car for almost the whole winter. What I dont get is at first I thought the car would sell within a few weeks for sure. Its a year 2000 with low kms, fully loaded and its in immaculate shape and its a good color. Its been dealer maintained and we are asking consideribly less than the suggested used price for it and what other people are asking for similar cars.

I've advertised in the Herald, on Beyond, Auto Trader and Bargain Finder and I have had barely any calls or inquiries about the car let alone people coming to see it. The only person I thought was really interested in the car lowballed me by $4000 and wouldnt budge on his offer. So what I dont get is if I'm doing something wrong, or if theres a better place to advertise or if selling a car is just going to be this tough.

Any tips/suggestions would be appriciated

I didnt put the actual car down because I didnt want this to get moved to the marketplace by moderators.

Kirbs17
03-26-2005, 03:11 PM
What are similar cars selling for on autotrader.com? Is your car in the same price range? Is it a unique/hard to move car?

5hift
03-26-2005, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Kirbs17
What are similar cars selling for on autotrader.com? Is your car in the same price range? Is it a unique/hard to move car?

Cars of the same year, model, options, engine size, kms are going for about $21,000 - $23,000. The canadian used car value for the car is $22,500 for avg kms and in good condition. I know this car is in better condition than probably any 2000 model similar to it for sale. I'm asking for $20,000 obo and the surprising thing is I thought I would at least get some offers maybe a little bit lower than this and not just one in the $16,000 range. The car has been detailed and then parked inside in a heated garage throughout the winter and only taken out when someone has wanted to look at it so I know its not something where the car could be cleaned up a bit.

Its defintely not a unique car (its a Honda) and shouldnt be a hard car to move.

shakalaka
03-26-2005, 03:50 PM
Its just your luck then I guess man. I would say just be patient. You will sell it sooner or later.

sputnik
03-26-2005, 03:57 PM
I take it that this is the car.

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69451

It looks like you are in the right ballpark compared to those on canadatrader.com. The main problem is that I see tons of 4 cyl Accords around 100,000 km selling for much cheaper ($14-16k). So unless someone is completely set on a V6 with leather you might see a lot of people going to the 2.3L and saving a few thousand dollars.