PDA

View Full Version : MR2 Project

2.2vtec
01-02-2003, 01:26 PM
I'm really interested in just buying the shell of a 91-94 mr2. Does anyone know where I can start looking and approx. cost. I really really want to start on a project mr2 with a twin turbo. How hard would that be and do you suggest I should just stick with one turbo? Thanks for your advice.

jdmakkord
01-02-2003, 01:29 PM
uh hope you have a lot of money to spare

2.2vtec
01-02-2003, 01:39 PM
yeah maybe I should just stick with the one turbo. The twin would be really costly.

jdmakkord
01-02-2003, 02:10 PM
there isn't exactly tons of room under the hood of a mr2

ninjak84
01-02-2003, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by jdmakkord
there isn't exactly tons of room under the hood of a mr2

That doesn't mean it can't be done...
Try looking overseas for the shell, it'll be much easier to find. If you don't want to, then talk to the Police about finding ones that are junked with blown motors, or confiscated. You can buy great project cars for dirt cheap from our local Cops.

jdmakkord
01-02-2003, 02:53 PM
I didn't say it was impossible, but those projects overseas have tons on money behind them

legendboy
01-02-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by 2.2vtec
yeah maybe I should just stick with the one turbo. The twin would be really costly.

Thats not what would be costly

Redlyne_mr2
01-02-2003, 03:29 PM
no point in going with a twin turbo setup...not enough room and its basically just plain enificient all you need is the right turbo and you'll have all the power you need. Shells are hard to come by especially in Canada. visit www.mr2faq.com then go to the message board section , there is a classified section which may lead you in the right direction. You can find the n/a 2nd generation mr2's for fairly cheap (9-13g's)but there is more work to that swap than just the engine. You'r best bet is to keep an eye out for a high mileaged mr2 turbo then do a jdm swap...225hp(2nd gen 3sgte) or 245 hp(3rd gen 3sgte) right out of the box.

RiceCake
01-04-2003, 01:54 AM
Redlyne_mr2's definately got a lot of hookups and knowledge about mr2s :)

The cost of doing one as a project though is gonna be costly, mr2s are :bigpimp: but damn they're rare and the engine bay is really tight on them. Good luck in whatever you do though. :)

3S-GTE
01-04-2003, 02:20 AM
Ok I've done the jdm swap and even change the turbo to an upgraded version of CT26. U know what after driving it for a month. I feel i want more. So there goes the JDM convertion. So right now my engine is out again getting machined to handle more boost. Ryan is right just get a better turbo to do the job. As u can see some twin turbo supra likes to go single turbo. So all i can say is save money for a better turbo. and actually thats a start. U'll need bigger injector, supra fuel pump, good intercooler, standalone ecu, good clutch and more . So after that u prolly have around 400 hp and up.