PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding traffic tickets

AllGoNoShow
03-28-2005, 07:38 PM
Ok guys so everyone posts about how to fight a ticket, how to get out of a ticket when the cop pulls you over. How about a discussion on just avoiding them in the first place?

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=45280

is the link that started to get me thinking. The best advice I think the article gives if you don't have the option of not dirivng is the following;

The best strategy to avoid the long arm of the law is not to catch the eye of a watchful patrol officer. This means becoming a member of what Meyer calls "the faceless, nameless many." In other words, "don't drive a red car; don't drive a flashy car; don't tailgate; don't do more than one illegal thing at a time."

happydude
03-28-2005, 08:12 PM
Besides not breaking traffic laws, I've always found that just treating the police officer politely and with respect gets you further than anything else. In the two times I've been pulled over I got let off with a warning once and the other time he just gave me a ticket for 10 over, rather than the 32 over that I was doing (trying to get home after work at 2am).

All you really have to do is treat them with respect, acknowledge what you did, and be pleasent, and more often than not they'll be leniant. I imagine after having to deal with assholes all day, a police officer looks favorably on someone who doesn't freak out or treat them like shit.

AllGoNoShow
03-28-2005, 08:16 PM
have you heard the dude who owns a IROC camaro talk shit about he got out of his traffic tickets on a call in radio segment?

Nismo S13
03-28-2005, 08:21 PM
agreed, iv been pulled over many of times, and ussually if u are nice to them they ussually cut you a brake, but if u get the cop thats just a general DICK, and i know you've all heard of one. just keep your mouth shut and fight the ticket down the road. if you keep your mouth shout by the time ur due in court the cop has allready forgoten the situation that got u both to the court room in the first place, were as if u yell at him and piss him off, he will make sure to write a good amount of notes on what happened and youll most likely lose. just my too cents, oh yeah, and for those really bad tickets i suggest you take them too Points, they fought three tickets for me in total of 1200bux and 15 demerits, and won all them exept for one, which happened too be the most minor.

AllGoNoShow
03-31-2005, 04:54 PM
I guess rage would agree with that aswell, doing 235 km and the cop knocked it down to 200km/h :) Lucky for him

youngbex
04-01-2005, 03:30 PM
or just book shit when he tries t pull you over

talonboi
04-04-2005, 01:55 PM
whut if the rcmp pulls me over in city limits and it says i was pulled over at/ or near strathmore? :dunno:

Phy
04-04-2005, 02:43 PM
Luck plays a big part, too - there was the time I got the lights-and-siren doing 100 down an 80. I didn't feel safe pulling over on the side of that particular road, so I continued up into the closest residential street, and the cop just drove off. But, it's not something you can rely on. You might luck out and get a decent or generous officer, or you might get a steely-eyed vindictive bastard whose dog was run over by a "Type R" Civic last week. :rolleyes:

And it's probably a good idea to drive like a saint during the last week of the month.

AllGoNoShow
04-04-2005, 02:49 PM
Actually according to some of the cops I know and I think one of the officers on the board here, there is no end of the month quota, its the same thing all month around for tickets, they dont have to meet any standards or anything.

Phy
04-04-2005, 02:54 PM
Yeah, I'm always hearing that, and sometimes I hear the opposite. Toeing the line near the end of the month couldn't hurt, in any case.

paulsaddress5
04-04-2005, 02:56 PM
i heard if they lose sight of you when they are pulling you over than they are not allowed to give you a ticket, someone confirm this?

MidnightDreamer
04-04-2005, 02:57 PM
lol... on my way home I was running up country hill about 70ish kph... I was starring at the green light in front of me and it looked like it might go yellow any sec... I keep my speed and it turns yellow, at this point I'm pretty sure I can make it through if I punch it, but for some strange reason, I decide to jump on the breaks... It wasn't a really hard stop, but it was a quick one. As soon as I came to a stop, I looked to my right, and there was a cop car sitting right there waiting to make a left turn. I can't belive I didn't see him there before... The dude even pointed at me like "you are damn lucky boy..." lol... I think I might have ESP or something... But yea, sometimes it's just dumb luck that you don't get busted... But then again, I shouldn't have been speeding at the time anyways, it was on 10ish at night... but in all seriousness, 20 - 30 over dep. on if it's a highway or not isn't too bad at 2 or 3 in the morning... I'm sure most cops realise that and would ride your ass too hard.

chris
04-05-2005, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by youngbex
thats when you get a free ride in the back of a cruiser and your licence cut up. I worked with a guy who did this last year, believe me, you don't get very far

A790
04-06-2005, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by youngbex

You might be able to outrun that Crown Vic, but you can't outrun radio waves or helicopters...