PDA

View Full Version : Earls - 16th Ave

AllGoNoShow
03-29-2005, 02:53 AM
Food 4/5
Ambience BAH
Service 5/5
Worth the money 5/5

Great service this time, didn't get what I exactly ordered but it was still fairly good. Cost us a whole $32 for the 2 of us, used the gift cards so she got a nice tip at the end of it, just about 25%. Would recommend this place for anyone looking for cheap + great dinner. Will be going back with a bunch of people from work in the near future aswell

AllGoNoShow
03-29-2005, 02:56 AM
SOmeone mind telling me why you close the other Earls thread?

Weapon_R
03-29-2005, 02:57 AM
If you're gonna give a review, at least give some better details.

Tell us what you recommend on the menu, what you thought of the ambiance (the atmosphere), and anything else you want to do.

AllGoNoShow
03-29-2005, 02:59 AM
Well all I basically eat is ribs, so with that being said, Full Back of ribs for $24.99, can't beat that. The others I were with had a few of the chicken sandwitchs there and somethign called Penne Alfredo at the 16th ave location, all VERY good, the pasta was cheap aswell.

Another plus about that odd sounding pasta was they gave you a choice of spiciness, I choose 3 (1-6) and it was still pretty spicy, so they are attending to everyones needs.

The atmosphere at 16th was much better but it wasn't as crazy. Dalhouse it was very loud, felt liek I was yelling at my freinds, wasn't the best but I have been in worse.

JAYMEZ
03-29-2005, 07:57 AM
^^ You forgot to mention the abundance of hot waitress' :D

AllGoNoShow
03-29-2005, 12:53 PM
Oh yah :) Forgot that part :P
Except they all hit on the floor manager dude

BebeAphrodite
03-30-2005, 01:15 AM
Omg.. I can't believe that you rated the food so well.
It's closer to a 2/5 and it USED to be one of my favourite restaurants when I was 16 and the food tasted better. I've been to Earls sooo many times cuz ppl keep choosing those 'types' of restaurants to go to.

For the last 2 years all the Earls I've gone to: West Ed Mall, Dalhousie, Westhills, and 16th Ave, have all sucked. Too bad I was there so often to waste food.

Crappy food, service is usually good.
For the same price I'd go to Joeys.

AllGoNoShow
03-30-2005, 01:18 AM
Ive been to JOeys, its pretty good. Although all I seem to order is ribs so its normally always good.

Ive onyl been to the 16th ave once so maybe I got lucky, it wasnt very busy.

D. Dub
03-30-2005, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by AllGoNoShow
Great service this time, didn't get what I exactly ordered but it was still fairly good.

Ummm.................thats bad service.

sputnik
03-30-2005, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by BebeAphrodite
Crappy food, service is usually good.
For the same price I'd go to Joeys.

Personally, I find Joey's menu to be much weaker than Earls.

However when I'm in the NE or on Macleod Tr, I will generally pick the Cactus Club over both.

t-im
03-30-2005, 01:24 PM
If you are that impressed by Earls, you REALLY need to try different places!!!!..

to me, Earls = overpriced garbage.

For what it is and the type of restaurant, it's disgusting and hideously overpriced...portions seem very small also.

The menu is sooo limited and it seems like everything goes up a few bucks a year, and less and less is on the menu also.

AllGoNoShow
03-30-2005, 01:28 PM
Gimie a suggestion then, must have ribs for me :), there is 7 of us going out mid april for dinner, gimmie some good places with same pricing as earls that you suggest

abyss
03-30-2005, 01:32 PM
Gimie a suggestion then, must have ribs for me :), there is 7 of us going out mid april for dinner, gimmie some good places with same pricing as earls that you suggest

Applebee's has great ribs, and steaks (for the price) plus they're not as crappy as Earl's or Joey's.

AllGoNoShow
03-30-2005, 01:37 PM
aaa, yes been there aswell, it was a much busier enviroment then 16th when I went, but that was when it first opened on Country Hills. We are also thinking about The Verve but I dont think they have ribs so Id have to settle for a steak or something.

sputnik
03-30-2005, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by t-im
If you are that impressed by Earls, you REALLY need to try different places!!!!..

For what it is and the type of restaurant, it's disgusting and hideously overpriced...portions seem very small also.

The menu is sooo limited and it seems like everything goes up a few bucks a year, and less and less is on the menu also.

Overpriced? Most meals at Earls are between $8-15. What is you preference for restaurants in that price range?

I'm not saying Earls is the best restaurant around, I just dont understand your logic.

BebeAphrodite
03-30-2005, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

Overpriced? Most meals at Earls are between $8-15. What is you preference for restaurants in that price ne range?

I'm not saying Earls is the best restaurant around, I just dont understand your logic.

Cactus Club used to be my favourite but the last three times I've gone the foods been pretty bad. So I just stick to Joeys

But... those restaurants are overpriced. A steak runs at around 25 (for the peppercorns). I rarely spend under $40/person everytime I'm there on an appetizer/meal/drink. That's pretty expensive considering it's just a mediocre restaurant.
I was appalled at my spaghettini (I think it's called)... It was just crummy tomato paste with noodles for around $12!!!
I think that's what t-im means by 'overpriced'. I'd put the price range at 12-25 (I don't eat burgers and I'm assuming it's the burgers that are probably 8 bucks).... altho $8 for a burger is still expensive.

bol
03-30-2005, 02:37 PM
Why even review Earls? lol

t-im
03-30-2005, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

Overpriced? Most meals at Earls are between $8-15. What is you preference for restaurants in that price range?

Not really, meals are more $10-$25

quesadilla's are already about $10, and those aren't very filling.

Originally posted by BebeAphrodite

Cactus Club used to be my favourite but the last three times I've gone the foods been pretty bad. So I just stick to Joeys

But... those restaurants are overpriced. A steak runs at around 25 (for the peppercorns). I rarely spend under $40/person everytime I'm there on an appetizer/meal/drink. That's pretty expensive considering it's just a mediocre restaurant.
I was appalled at my spaghettini (I think it's called)... It was just crummy tomato paste with noodles for around $12!!!
I think that's what t-im means by 'overpriced'. I'd put the price range at 12-25 (I don't eat burgers and I'm assuming it's the burgers that are probably 8 bucks).... altho $8 for a burger is still expensive.

That's what I meant, thanks for clarifying!

Burgers at Earls are $10-$12, unless you get that basic burger with no cheese or whatever then it's $8.00.. which is pretty expensive!
and the money they charge for pasta that isn't that great compared to some other more authentic italian restaurants which are comparable or a bit less in price..

max_boost
03-30-2005, 07:33 PM
Well all I basically eat is ribs, so with that being said, Full Back of ribs for $24.99, can't beat that. The others I were with had a few of the chicken sandwitchs there and somethign called Penne Alfredo at the 16th ave location, all VERY good, the pasta was cheap aswell.

Another plus about that odd sounding pasta was they gave you a choice of spiciness, I choose 3 (1-6) and it was still pretty spicy, so they are attending to everyones needs.

The atmosphere at 16th was much better but it wasn't as crazy. Dalhouse it was very loud, felt liek I was yelling at my freinds, wasn't the best but I have been in worse.

If you like ribs, they are REALLY good at Applebys. There is one in Silvercity up in Coventry Hills. I always go there for their riblet basket.

Joeys is a good place for to go as the hours are usually accomodating to Sam's schedule. Although the service sucks there most of the time and the food isnt' even that good.

I also like Cheescake Cafe.

*RSeXy*

toyboy88
03-30-2005, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ_STi
^^ You forgot to mention the abundance of hot waitress' :D

usually the norm at all joey's and earl's locations now! :D :thumbsup:

GucciBoy
04-10-2005, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by t-im

LOL - SO TRUE!!!!

Earls is one of the most over rated places to eat.

GucciBoy
04-10-2005, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by toyboy88

usually the norm at all joey's and earl's locations now! :D :thumbsup:

Meh - Ive seen just as many avg looking/ugly ones. But I dont go for the servers, now thats sad. Not saying you are :)

cman
04-10-2005, 05:18 PM
earls on 16th does have very hot waitresses, and i know 2 of them:poosie: .
i enjoy it, good for young people looking for a somewhat classy but affordable meal.