PDA

View Full Version : TSX vs. Mazdaspeed 6

Shoebox//Racer
03-29-2005, 12:47 PM
Hey guys, just posting on my brothers behalf.

He's currently in Toronto and is looking to buy. He's been researching for a while and he's come down to the two cars:

Acura TSX and the Mazdaspeed 6.

If you guys have any opinions and or facts to point out about either and could state your decision and why you would go with it please post here. Thx.

*edit*
keep in mind he's looking at keeping them stock for the most part

oh, and please refrain from posting without giving any reasons. thanks.

Mr. Burns
03-29-2005, 12:52 PM
Mazdaspeed 6 because it is turbo. You can get alot more power out of that than you could from a TSX.

Although I think TSX's look nicer.

Chester
03-29-2005, 12:54 PM
Well his bro doesnt want a TL, he wants a TSX

heavyD
03-29-2005, 12:55 PM
TSX's are one of the best looking 4-doors available IMO.

Mr. Burns
03-29-2005, 12:55 PM
HAHA. I always confuse the two. (first post edited)

buh_buh
03-29-2005, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
TSX's are one of the best looking 4-doors available IMO. :werd:

Originally posted by mrburnsvw
HAHA. I always confuse the two. (first post edited) even when you read it?:dunno: :nut:
It says TSX in the title AND in the thread.

t-im
03-29-2005, 12:58 PM
TSX..Acura is a bit more upmarket then Mazda, and looks pretty nice.

Mr. Burns
03-29-2005, 01:01 PM
even when you read it?

Lets be clear, I may have typed TL, but at all times I was reffering to the TSX

EDIT: if you can't understand that, I refer you to my avatar.

Mokre
03-29-2005, 01:12 PM
TSX's are one of the best looking 4-doors available IMO.

FYI, this is Shoebox's bro.

I like the look of both cars; style isn't really a consideration here.

To provoke some constructive discussion, how do people feel about buying a car whose major components are mostly all-new? I'm talking about the Mazdaspeed 6 here. From the website, I gather that the engine and awd system are basically brand new (and to my knowledge, Mazda's never had an awd system before, the closest is 4wd on the tribute).

How about what you get for what you pay? Mazda hasn't announced options/packages on the Mazdaspeed 6, but I'm assuming for 35,9 it'll be pretty fully loaded, and the TSX is pretty well loaded for interior options at 36,1 after freight/pdi (MSRP)

Orbie
03-29-2005, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Mokre

How about what you get for what you pay? Mazda hasn't announced options/packages on the Mazdaspeed 6, but I'm assuming for 35,9 it'll be pretty fully loaded, and the TSX is pretty well loaded for interior options at 36,1 after freight/pdi (MSRP)

MazdaSpeed 6 is going to MSRP for 35,9? that's outrageously cheap for what that car offers. I didn't believe it at first, but I just checked the Mazda Canada website and sure enough the base is 35,9. That's a definite + for the MS6 IMO over the TSX which I always figured lacked in the performance department.

Also I heard the AWD is a FWD based system, where up to 50% power can be transferred to rear wheels, so it's not full time like Subaru's.

TurboMedic
03-29-2005, 01:31 PM
I would go with the TSX...I'm a big fan of the TL/TSX line

saiyajin
03-29-2005, 01:33 PM
does anyone know if the TSX A-spec is going to be available here?? cuz then that should maybe be an even better choice :thumbsup:

Mokre
03-29-2005, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Orbie

MazdaSpeed 6 is going to MSRP for 35,9? that's outrageously cheap for what that car offers. I didn't believe it at first, but I just checked the Mazda Canada website and sure enough the base is 35,9. That's a definite + for the MS6 IMO over the TSX which I always figured lacked in the performance department.

Also I heard the AWD is a FWD based system, where up to 50% power can be transferred to rear wheels, so it's not full time like Subaru's.

yes, 35,9 is what's listed on mazda.ca. with the moonroof it's 38,7, but that also includes leather.

35,9 is really good for what you get, IMO, but don't forget that's before freight/pdi (or pde as mazda likes to call it) which will probably hover somewhere between 900 and 1200

Mokre
03-29-2005, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by saiyajin
does anyone know if the TSX A-spec is going to be available here?? cuz then that should maybe be an even better choice :thumbsup:

It is, but it's nearly 4700 more, 2400 of which is the aero package...not really worth it.

Shoebox//Racer
03-29-2005, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Mokre

yes, 35,9 is what's listed on mazda.ca. with the moonroof it's 38,7, but that also includes leather.

35,9 is really good for what you get, IMO, but don't forget that's before freight/pdi (or pde as mazda likes to call it) which will probably hover somewhere between 900 and 1200

remote starter and keyless entry as well with the Leather package.

Mokre
03-29-2005, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Shoebox//Racer

remote starter and keyless entry as well with the Leather package.

I'm not *that* lazy.

biggie_82
03-29-2005, 01:43 PM
TSX

Shoebox//Racer
03-29-2005, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by biggie_82
TSX

"If you guys have any opinions and or facts to point out about either and could state your decision and why you would go with it please post here. Thx."

thx for the helpful post biggie. care to elaborate a bit for us?

gpomp
03-29-2005, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Shoebox//Racer

"If you guys have any opinions and or facts to point out about either and could state your decision and why you would go with it please post here. Thx."

thx for the helpful post biggie. care to elaborate a bit for us?
TSX

Orbie
03-29-2005, 01:49 PM
Hmm...I just looked at the estimated performance stats for the MS6 on the Mazda.ca website and if it truly is 0-60 in 6.6s that's pretty horrid considering what the car is packing. Obviously these are still just estimates but seeing as stock WRX's, Accord V6's, Altima V6's etc. can run in this time frame, without a 6spd, AWD (in the latter) and no where near as much torque or power it doesn't seem so great now IMO. But I guess we won't really know the potential of the car until it starts going on sale, still looks like a good deal though.

Shoebox//Racer
03-29-2005, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by gpomp

TSX

duncan... when you get back to calgary... you get a five across the eyes.

civicrider
03-29-2005, 01:55 PM
id say TSX they look sicker and they go pretty good!:thumbsup:

Hash_man
03-29-2005, 02:27 PM
TSX for sure... I would buy a Honda/Acura before a mazda any day, i feel they are much better cars. Plus the TSX looks so damn nice, outside and inside, and they drive quite nicely too.

BokCh0y
03-29-2005, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Hash_man
TSX for sure... I would buy a Honda/Acura before a mazda any day, i feel they are much better cars. Plus the TSX looks so damn nice, outside and inside, and they drive quite nicely too.

fuk yeah :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

heavyD
03-29-2005, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Hash_man

I agree. Acura build quality > Mazda quality. The TSX has 200 hp which isn't slow by any means. If you really want turbocharged AWD I would suggest something proven like a WRX which is comparatively priced.

awd
03-29-2005, 04:02 PM
TSX by a longshot -- I don't even consider the two cars comparable.

If I was to ditch the WRX for a new car it would be a TSX, TL or a Legacy GT.

menace3
03-29-2005, 04:07 PM
TSX. no comparison on those two.. just look at the depreciation when years come by.

Deetz
03-29-2005, 04:23 PM
Tsx for sure. I seen the Accords in Japan fixed up (TSX here) adn they really do have some performance potential right out of the box. The suspension is a great design as is the engine and chassis. The 6 speed has a lot more jam than the auto version.

Hollywood
03-29-2005, 05:14 PM
Mazdaspeed 6 because it is turbo. You can get alot more power out of that than you could from a TSX.

Although I think TSX's look nicer.

The Mazda 6 is ford crap. TSX all the way. Too much new ford stuff to fail quality standards.

And no, it's not easy to mod what so ever. Probly one of the more complicated cars to mod in a long time. Due to it's new and complicated direct-injection fuel system, to mod the car you need to add additional injectors with a injector controller, which is kind of ghetto IMO. Dont expect too much aftermarket support as far as fuel mods either and such because it would be too much effort for one limited car.

eb0i
03-29-2005, 05:24 PM
^agreed.

I rented a mazda 6 before and have driven a TSX as well and all I have to say is that mazda 6 was crap in performance/interior/exterior. I'd go with the TSX, it looks so damn sexy especially the pearl white one :drool:

hampstor
03-29-2005, 09:44 PM
TSX :D

However, for a few grand more you can get a G35 Sedan... why choose FWD when you can go RWD :love:

ZCracer
03-29-2005, 10:16 PM
I have a TSX right now and absolutely love it. I considered the 6 along with the G35, 325, and IS300. For the money the TSX offered the best bang for the buck, you'd be hard pressed to find a nicer interior, and nicer standard equipment.
Here's a picture from a day or two after i bought it.
http://img232.exs.cx/img232/7776/200409190152fk.th.jpg (http://img232.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img232&image=200409190152fk.jpg)

Feel free to PM me with any specific questions.

heavyD
03-30-2005, 08:42 AM
I'm shocked that 14 people voted for the Mazda.:dunno: Yet none of them post any reasons why. I have a recent car & driver that chose the TSX over such cars as the Legacy GT, Audi A4 1.8T Quattro, & Volvo T5 turbo in a four car comparison. I don't even think the Mazda 6 belongs being mentioned amongst these cars.

BlueGoblin
03-30-2005, 09:46 AM
I would go with the TSX for all of the reasons posted above, plus; the TSX in red with the beige leather interior reminds me of one of my favourite current model four-doors, the Alfa 156.

Hollywood
03-30-2005, 10:00 AM
I'm shocked that 14 people voted for the Mazda.:dunno: Yet none of them post any reasons why. I have a recent car & driver that chose the TSX over such cars as the Legacy GT, Audi A4 1.8T Quattro, & Volvo T5 turbo in a four car comparison. I don't even think the Mazda 6 belongs being mentioned amongst these cars.

Well I'd take the mazda over the volvo. Volvo is even worse ford crap. Plastic'orama car.

awd
03-30-2005, 01:19 PM

Fanboys.

I don't get it either.

Mokre
03-30-2005, 01:24 PM

I don't trust Car and Driver at all. They suck up to the manufacturers so badly. The vast majority of magazines like Car and Driver get free "promotional" models, so long as their write reasonably nice things about them. Even their 10 Best awards are somewhat stacked.. (How, with the spate of engine, transmission, and fit-and-finish problems, did the Ford Focus get on last year's list?)

finboy
03-30-2005, 03:46 PM
personally, considering that this car is pretty experimental for mazda, i would go for the TSX as it has already been out for a couple years and any small issues have most likely been fixed by now.

Xtrema
03-30-2005, 08:35 PM
TSX

Proven Honda performance and value. But beware, gas mileage isn't that great for a 4 banger.

Problem with MS6

1. It's a Mazda
2. Interior material is cheap
3. Turbo is experimental
4. Style not as elegant as TSX, borderline rice.

TypeS
03-30-2005, 11:06 PM

i think your thinking of the normal mazda 6, what hes talking about is the mazdaspeed 6....MUCH different.

I'd take the TSX because every time I see one i do a double take...they are gorgeous cars

RSRT-4
03-30-2005, 11:15 PM

Lets be clear, I may have typed TL, but at all times I was reffering to the TSX

EDIT: if you can't understand that, I refer you to my avatar.

Good because the mazdaspeed6 is not in the same league as the tl

autospeed
03-30-2005, 11:59 PM
I say its too early to judge the mazdaspeed 6. Based on previous info, a lot of people are saying the tsx, and while it is a nice car... I really want to see what mazda pulls with the new mazdaspeed 6, can't just call it all ford crap, untill its been driven and tested, it might or might not be great but i'd give it a chance first.

heavyD
03-31-2005, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by TypeS

i think your thinking of the normal mazda 6, what hes talking about is the mazdaspeed 6....MUCH different.

I'd take the TSX because every time I see one i do a double take...they are gorgeous cars

I know what the Mazdaspeed 6 is. I'm just not that impressed by it.

Skyline_Addict
03-31-2005, 12:31 AM
i think the mazdaspeed looks amazing. but, i picked the TSX because we have yet to see how the 6 will really compete with cars in it's class.

el_fefes
03-31-2005, 11:44 PM
Personally I like the look of the MSP6 although I agree it's probably not in the same class as the TSX. I'd take the MSP6...personal choice. AWD is also a big plus.

Weapon_R
03-31-2005, 11:58 PM
I'd have to go with the rest of the herd and say TSX. For proven reliability, resale value, performance, looks, comfort and design. I think it has the upper hand on anything that Mazda can offer.

The fun factor would most likely go to the Mazda however.

Hollywood
04-01-2005, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by autospeed
I say its too early to judge the mazdaspeed 6. Based on previous info, a lot of people are saying the tsx, and while it is a nice car... I really want to see what mazda pulls with the new mazdaspeed 6, can't just call it all ford crap, untill its been driven and tested, it might or might not be great but i'd give it a chance first.

Beneath all the fancy bells and whistles of the mazdaspeed 6 lies a plain jane mazda 6, with fords reliability issues, plasticy interior, rattles, early rusting, engine problems....

No matter what one cant deny it. Does not even matter what the test results are.

TSX on the other hand, predictable well engineered honda. If it was me and I was considering the TSX I might spend the little extra for the TL. Man is that a great looking car.

gpomp
04-01-2005, 10:13 AM
who are all these people voting for the mazda???

Fobby
04-01-2005, 04:57 PM
me. I like mazda. it's a personal choice due to that fact. No reason to support why, because all of you will probably slam it down with the whole ford crap, and reliability issues. Honda now is not what honda used to be.

Hollywood
04-01-2005, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by Fobby
me. I like mazda. it's a personal choice due to that fact. No reason to support why, because all of you will probably slam it down with the whole ford crap, and reliability issues. Honda now is not what honda used to be.

Good idea. Hater's 4theWin!:thumbsup: :D

Inthered
04-01-2005, 09:13 PM
I voted for the TSX since my dad owns one. We test drove the regular 6 and the TSX. The 6 felt like shit. It went pretty good, but the quality and handling of the TSX was in another league. I've had the chance to bag the living shit out of the TSX and it preforms very well on extreme cornering if that's what you like doing (with the VSA traction assist off of course). The whole chassis of the car is really solid and the car is built well.

Alexs
04-02-2005, 02:17 AM
I really like Mazda6 GT Wagon, and I wish they had a turbo model as well on it.