PDA

View Full Version : Heat or ICE for sore muscle

gggunit
03-29-2005, 03:39 PM
When you have sore muscle's is it best to heat or ice the muscle... after doing heavy heavy squats one day ive been feeling this burning sensation on my lower back near my upper gluts.. so ive been icing it for a while but still feels sore .. kindha like I ripped/ tore some fibre in my lower back / upper gluts

2.4l
03-29-2005, 03:55 PM
ice.. give your back a week it will be stronger then before:thumbsup:

ryder_23
03-29-2005, 04:25 PM
I'd say use some heat on that muscle.

SUPRAPHAT
03-29-2005, 04:42 PM
Heat a dull ache, Ice a sharp pain

Always use Ice if your not sure

Jason

benyl
03-29-2005, 04:45 PM
Heat is an old wives tale. Heat will makes things worse. Ice is the way to go.

seer_claw
03-29-2005, 04:46 PM
A combination of icing and heating promotes faster healing as it improve the blood circulation in the injured areas. The heat opens up blood vessels and the cold contracts them forcing blood to flow more effectively and improving your body's natural healing.

Wildcat
03-29-2005, 08:30 PM
ice if you get your ass kicked, heat if your sore.

1badPT
03-29-2005, 08:58 PM
Ice helps reduce swelling and numbs sharp stinging pain. Heat increases circulation and relaxes muscles.

you were feeling pain in the same area not long ago gggunit - did you get it checked out?

gggunit
03-30-2005, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by 1badPT

you were feeling pain in the same area not long ago gggunit - did you get it checked out?

nah I just thought it would go away.. but its just always tense.. i really should go.

GQBalla
03-31-2005, 01:38 AM
do hot cold

heat 2 minutes cold 2 minutes! for 20 minutes so do each thing 5 times each!

its like a tub of ice cold water with ice in it and than jump out and into the hot tub you go
!!!

works wonders even though it stings your skin but it feels so good the next day!

ramminghard
03-31-2005, 02:42 AM
try a hot tub or a steam. always makes me feel better.

~Leah~
03-31-2005, 09:37 AM
You should definitely do both. 15 ice, 15 rest, 15 heat, 15 rest. As said before the ice will help with the pain, and swelling if there is any, and the heat will help relax the muscle. I play hockey every now and again, but not often, so when I do... let me tell you, my lower back is HURTIN!! I ice it when I get home, then just use a heating pad on it when I'm laying in bed at night. The next morning I always feel 90% better.

If you're feeling this much pain, your either trying to lift too much weight, and/or are not stretching properly after your workout. Either way, I'd go get it checked out.

Carfanman
03-31-2005, 10:24 AM
^or not stretching enough before the workout.

When I went to the gym I noticed that almost nobody (including myself) stretched before or after the workout.

heavyD
03-31-2005, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Carfanman

When I went to the gym I noticed that almost nobody (including myself) stretched before or after the workout.

I work out all the time and never stretch (unless I feel tight) but my body is like a machine as I never get hurt and only feel the temporary burn of a good workout. I see guys do long stretching routines but I never do and for my size/weight there aren't many guys close to my strength. Go figure.:dunno:

~Leah~
03-31-2005, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Carfanman

There's no point in stretching before a work out. In fact, it can have negative effects. If you do a cardio warm up for example (which is what you should be doing to get the blood flowing and oxygen to your muscles to warm them up) then decide to stretch right after that.... your body cools down and basically you just wasted the last 10 mins of your life cuz now you're back to where you started. I like to stretch during my rest periods in between sets... that way you can kill 2 birds with one stone. But to stop and slow down your heart rate after you started a workout is pointless. There was something else I wanted to say... but I can't remember now... oh well, I'm sure I'll post it later.

~Leah~
03-31-2005, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

I work out all the time and never stretch (unless I feel tight) but my body is like a machine as I never get hurt and only feel the temporary burn of a good workout. I see guys do long stretching routines but I never do and for my size/weight there aren't many guys close to my strength. Go figure.:dunno:

Oh yeah, and you're gonna be hurtin when you're older, bud, let me tell you! These guys doing stretching routines are smart as hell. Everyone should be doing them. If you don't keep your body flexible and limber, you're not going to be very mobile come the age of 60. Stretch stretch stretch!!

heavyD
03-31-2005, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by ~Leah~
Oh yeah, and you're gonna be hurtin when you're older, bud, let me tell you! These guys doing stretching routines are smart as hell. Everyone should be doing them. If you don't keep your body flexible and limber, you're not going to be very mobile come the age of 60. Stretch stretch stretch!!

Thanks for the advice but you can't teach an old dog new tricks. I've not encountered any problems in the last 8 years besides I'm lazy when it comes to cardio and stretching. I'll deal with 60 when it comes.;)

BTW: I'm already past half way to 60 anyway.

~Leah~
03-31-2005, 02:26 PM
Haha yeah, I noticed that, but in this case you CAN teach an old dog new tricks. It's never too late to start... better late than never.

heavyD
03-31-2005, 03:23 PM
Haha yeah, I noticed that, but in this case you CAN teach an old dog new tricks. It's never too late to start... better late than never.

HAHA. I'll keep it in mind when I work out tonight. Ya never know.:burnout:

WillChan
03-31-2005, 05:50 PM
For sore muscles, follow "PRICE" steps
Protection
Rest
Ice
Compression
Elevation

straight from my kines friend's textbook

~Leah~
03-31-2005, 06:10 PM
That's more for injuries.....

It's past the point of needing ice... if we must quote KNES text books... why don't we look at the shitty scan I did of my Care and Prevention of Athletic Injuries text...

Carfanman
03-31-2005, 08:15 PM
ok... I cant see crap!

EDM
03-31-2005, 10:20 PM
heat if your muscle is tense and feels more contracted then it should

ice for soreness and pain.

WillChan
04-01-2005, 12:51 AM
That's more for injuries.....

It's past the point of needing ice... if we must quote KNES text books... why don't we look at the shitty scan I did of my Care and Prevention of Athletic Injuries text...

I stand corrected, my advice was for injuries of soft tissue damage.

Tyler883
04-03-2005, 10:32 PM
The cold can help reduce the swelling and pain.like when you twist your ankle.

The heat is likely to help alot more by improving circulation and relaxing the muscle. Like when you have a pulled or overworked muscle.

IMO, you should consider doing the same stretches that people with chronic back pain use, they are designed to help restore the proper curve in the lumbar area. Things as simple as lying on your stomach are both viewed as theraputic and first aid for sore lower back pain.

brian88
07-18-2008, 03:53 PM
When you have sore muscle's is it best to heat or ice the muscle... after doing heavy heavy squats one day ive been feeling this burning sensation on my lower back near my upper gluts.. so ive been icing it for a while but still feels sore .. kindha like I ripped/ tore some fibre in my lower back / upper gluts

I guess it depends on what you are inclined and are comfortable. On my personal experience, I usually go for warm baths and soak in some bath salts (http://www.sfbsc.com/bath-salt) that has epsom salts in them.

E46..sTyLez
07-18-2008, 03:55 PM
Way to bump a 3yr old thread...:thumbsup: