red99600
03-29-2005, 05:43 PM
im looking to get a JDM engine that is in good condition,
primarily JUST the transmission w/ LSD

does anyone know where i can get one?
thanks

chris
03-29-2005, 05:46 PM
jdm source, talk to shoaib, wat kind of engine are you getting?

red99600
03-29-2005, 05:57 PM
looking for just the tranny unless someone wants just the block...
oh, for a 93+ mr3 transmission

finboy
03-29-2005, 06:21 PM
JDMsource

Redlyne_mr2
03-29-2005, 08:36 PM
Get a 3rd gen 3sgte if you have the cash, dont waste it on a 2nd gen.

GTS Jeff
03-29-2005, 09:50 PM
There's no definitive way of knowing whether the engine is in good condition or not without taking it apart.

finboy
03-29-2005, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
There's no definitive way of knowing whether the engine is in good condition or not without taking it apart.

:werd:

if you have the time, always have a reputable shop go through the motor with a fine tooth comb so you find any potential issues.

stealth
03-30-2005, 01:04 PM
I got mine from JDM Source.

Redlyne_mr2
04-03-2005, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by stealth
I got mine from JDM Source.
BTW I didn't mean to bash the gen II Sam, It's still an awesome engine, hell that's what I have in my car right now but If I was ever to do a swap why would I choose a gen II when a gen III makes the car so much more fun. :D

jvillain
04-03-2005, 03:43 PM
I'll play.

When you drop in a JDM engine you can no longer just walk into your local Toyota dealer and have them haul up the part number on the computer. You have to come up with the number and give it to them. Then depending on the part, you may be waiting for the part to come from Japan. If you are out of town and not near your tools or your computer god help you.

If you can find a good condition USDM engine and tranny the swap should be doable in a day with no extra costs. A JDM swap is a lot more hassle and cash.

The 3rd gen builds more power if you leave it stock. Of course it isn't really stock. Stock is the USDM engine. Really it is a mildly modified USDM engine with fuel issues.

If you are planning on doing almost anything to upgrade the engine you are gonna end up replacing all of the parts that gave you the extra power to begin with. The vast majority of the extra power that the 3rd gen has comes from the CT-20b and the jacked up boost. A boost controler is what #1 or #2 on every ones list? If you are going to go beyond a CT-20b there is no real benefit.

The one thing that is a major benifit is the upgraded tranny. Not all of them came with LSD though so this may not be that big of a benifit. If you know how to drive and you get a tranny with no LSD you have gained nothing. Of course if you eat syncros it is a different story.

Lets face it, the reason that JDM swaps are so popular is that there is a large supply of them available with low milage for relatively cheap because of Japans emissions laws.

Allright let the flaming begin. :eek:

stealth
04-11-2005, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

BTW I didn't mean to bash the gen II Sam, It's still an awesome engine, hell that's what I have in my car right now but If I was ever to do a swap why would I choose a gen II when a gen III makes the car so much more fun. :D

HEHE yea i know what u mean.

When i started the swap I thought the swap would be cheaper. Plus im a highschool kid with no money lol.

It turns out. I could have bought a JDM GEN III Clip for the price it cost me to buy my engine + missing parts.

Or could of just bought a JDM Mr2 and swapped engines.