PDA

View Full Version : Question about my Ford Probe Seatbelts

JessE1
03-30-2005, 11:48 AM
I have a 1991 Ford Probe. One of those stupid automatic seatbelts that move when you open or close the doors is broken. I was wondering if I would be able to tear those out and put in normal seatbelts you do up yourself. Is this possible to do with my car?

GTS Jeff
03-30-2005, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by JessE1
I have a 1991 Ford Probe. One of those stupid automatic seatbelts that move when you open or close the doors is broken. I was wondering if I would be able to tear those out and put in normal seatbelts you do up yourself. Is this possible to do with my car? I'm sure you could, but it wouldn't be safe nor legal.

Seatbelt bolts are fuckin hardcore and so is the part of the frame that the bolt goes into. You can't just drill a hole and screw down a seatbelt.

If you give more than say...3 shits...you should pay to have it fixed properly.

finboy
03-30-2005, 02:53 PM
you can probably go to your local junkjard and find a replacement, but like jeff said, seatbelt mounts have to be pretty heavy duty.

another option might be going to a 4/5 point harness and use a really good location to secure it off if :dunno:

Phy
03-30-2005, 03:08 PM
Or, you can just unhook/rehook it with the safety button or slide it around you when you get in. That's assuming that A. It's locked in the "driving" position, and B. You don't mind being ghetto about it.

My Probe had the same problem, shortly after I bought it... I think there was some potential recall problem with it or something, I took it in to Ford, they fucked with it and everything worked nice again. Check the service warnings and recalls for your model, you might luck out.

JessE1
03-30-2005, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff

If you give more than say...3 shits...you should pay to have it fixed properly.
that's the thing, I dont like these seatbelts. I just want the normal ones, but it cant be done unless a Ford Dealer does it. It will cost huge though.

GTS Jeff
03-30-2005, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by JessE1

that's the thing, I dont like these seatbelts. I just want the normal ones, but it cant be done unless a Ford Dealer does it. It will cost huge though. Well that's really the only way it'll be safe and legal. Any kind of DIY restraining system, including race harnesses aren't legal.

Actually finboy's suggestion of finding a working system at a junkyard is probably the smartest thing to do. It'd be fairly cheap and just as safe as OEM as long as you torque urrything to FSM spec and MAKE SURE YOU DON'T LOSE ANY OF THE WASHERS on the bolts. Seatbelt bolts have like 925 weird washers on them to allow the seatbelt to swing when mounted without loosening the bolt.

Good luck.

Dave
03-30-2005, 07:25 PM
I had a 91 Ford probe and just bought seatbelts from junk yard and put them in. It was very easy they just bolt right on. The only thing is that the motor keeps running when the door opens and closes, I never did get around to removing that.