PDA

View Full Version : Scanning Police Radios

VTEXTC
01-02-2003, 08:19 PM
In Calgary..anyone know how??

A

mrmattyk
01-02-2003, 08:30 PM
It's super illegal and I don't suggest you do it ever because if you get caught you're in big trouble.

legendboy
01-02-2003, 08:49 PM
I heard that they all went digital so its not just as easy as listening to the correct channel.

Luke 96 T/A
01-02-2003, 09:00 PM
Yeah.. you need a digital scanner, and a whole bunch of other stuff....
however, on the neat side, there is a digital scanner detector.....
so, you can use IT instead of a radar detector!!! works better, less falsing, etc ;-)
just very, very expensive..

FiveFreshFish
01-02-2003, 10:01 PM
I have a scanner that goes up to 1300 MHz and picked up all the police channels. There are frequencies published for all users of radio channels, including the cops.

However, that was in the days of analogue and all their confidential conversations are on digital now.

Cops were exciting to listen to, but only when something was happening. Cell phone conversations proved to be more entertaining! :D

Scott
01-03-2003, 02:19 AM
In BC the outdated RCMP still ahve analog radios and you can recieve them no problem. and as long as you can lock an analog cell phone you can pick up some Juicy conversations sometimes.

In Calgary, all the police systems are encrypted so that you cant recieve them with a normal scanner. Most cell users are digital so you cant hear whats being said. Basically my scanner picks up tons and tons of digital signals from all sorts of radio systems. Nothing you can listen to though.

Its not illegal to use a scanner. If you can pick up a radio wave, its not a crime. If you use the information you recieve for any purpose other than listening then you are breaking the law. You arent supposed to tell anyone what you hear on a scanner either

szw
01-03-2003, 02:37 AM
I read about a good one in a magazine, then went to a cool radio shop in Calgary. They said they were good scanners, but there was no way to listen in on police radio anymore. They said you could listen in on RCMP stuff still.

I'd like to get one since they're so cool, but not if I'm just gonna hear truckers all day.

VTEXTC
01-03-2003, 01:01 PM
Thanks for all your help guys
A

kenny
01-03-2003, 05:48 PM
You can still monitor police radio, all the news people have scanners that pick up the police radio, go ask them what they're using :)

Toms-Celica
01-03-2003, 10:58 PM
Kenny got the connections?

ancient
01-03-2003, 11:33 PM
Its digital you have to pick up a digital scanner .... thats it.

Scott
01-04-2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by ancient
Its digital you have to pick up a digital scanner .... thats it.

You make it sound easy, like they sell them at every corner store or something :rolleyes: