PDA

View Full Version : Black Car (swirl problems)

aabb88
03-31-2005, 12:28 AM
I have a black BMW.
I heard black BMW are very bad with swirl marks.
I got my car detailed last year and they did a very bad job.
After two wash with only spraying, my car again has alot
of swril marks back on.

Can anyone give me some ideas or good place to get rid of
the swirl marks.

RickDaTuner
03-31-2005, 12:30 AM
have your clear coat repainted

BlkMaxima
03-31-2005, 12:57 AM
Try a three step wax system that inludes a 1. Cleaner 2. Sealer 3. polish wax such as (mothers, meguires, etc.) Also try the black wax that turtle wax has, I used it in combination with the mothers and my maxima turned out al lot better but I guess it depends on how bad your car actually is. probably a good idea to do it by hand too!

Bonka
03-31-2005, 03:39 AM
A shop should be using abrasive compounds together with a power rotary polisher. That should get most swirl marks out.

You definitely need to invest in some sort of polisher (random-orbit) as trying to remove swirl marks by hand is near impossible without tennis elbow. It's hard enough with a polisher.

Definitely take a visit over to Autopia (http://www.autopia.org/ and http://www.autopia-carcare.com/). You'll find a wealth of information on what products to use to get rid of it.

I personally use Meg's Swirl Remover and it gives decent results although to remove most of it you'll need to do it a few times.

Swirl marks on dark coloured vehicles are just something you have to live it. It occurs when you're washing, drying, detailing, dusting...it's really unavoidable, but you can minimize it by investing some time and some good products.

By the way, what methods (step by step) are you using to wash your car?

three33
03-31-2005, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Bonka
A shop should be using abrasive compounds together with a power rotary polisher. That should get most swirl marks out.

You definitely need to invest in some sort of polisher (random-orbit) as trying to remove swirl marks by hand is near impossible without tennis elbow. It's hard enough with a polisher.

Definitely take a visit over to Autopia (http://www.autopia.org/ and http://www.autopia-carcare.com/). You'll find a wealth of information on what products to use to get rid of it.

I personally use Meg's Swirl Remover and it gives decent results although to remove most of it you'll need to do it a few times.

Swirl marks on dark coloured vehicles are just something you have to live it. It occurs when you're washing, drying, detailing, dusting...it's really unavoidable, but you can minimize it by investing some time and some good products.

By the way, what methods (step by step) are you using to wash your car?

you dont have alot of experience do youBonka?? You should not have to use any sort of compound to get them out unless they are scrathes and not swirl marks. You do however in most cases use a power polisher. They are very hard to get out by hand...but they are not that hard to avoid. If you want to wash your car and its black or any other dark color just follow a few rules. Only use touchless car washes or if you do decide you would like to do it by hand, buy a wash mit do not use the brushes at the car washes and they normally contain rocks or other dirt that will scratch your car. Use a shammy(SP?) to dry your car and rinse it before you use it. That should keep you dark vechile looking good for longer.

Your best bet is to get someone who knows what they are doing with a polisher and it shouldnt take long unless you are talking about scratches and not swirl marks. Hope that helps you. If you have any other questions pm me.

SwitchBlade
03-31-2005, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by three33

you dont have alot of experience do youBonka?? You should not have to use any sort of compound to get them out unless they are scrathes and not swirl marks.

:rolleyes:

Swirl marks are microscopic scratches in the clear coat of your paint. The only way to get scratches out is to use a compound to polish them out. You would know that if you had a little more detailing experience. However, you did get it right that you have to power polish them out.

Shammy=Chamois

I would recommend that you treat your car to a 2 or 3 stage power polish package offered by either a reputable detailing company or the dealership directly.

For future reference you can reduce the amount of swirl marks when washing by using clean sterile wash equipment as well as having no dirt on your paint surface after you have cleaned it. I would also recommend keeping your wash mit in a container free of dirt. If it does get dirty either wash it out good or buy a new one.

Bonka
03-31-2005, 01:44 PM
:rolleyes:

Heh I meant polishing compound. Regardless, judging from the first post it would be worth his while to use something stronger anyways. I wouldn't be surprised if that detail shop he took it to used the same all-in-one crap the dealerships use to to hide mircromarring only to have all of it reappear after a few washes, that is if it's washed properly.

Also a proper handwash is far superior to any touchless carwash I've seen. They do not completely clean off the grim and tend to leave a fine residue of dirt behind.

Euro_Trash
03-31-2005, 01:53 PM
Last summer on my black golf we used a buffer and it took out all of the swirls, and all of the little scratches and nicks.

Its worth it to buy a nice cloth or shammy (yes I relaize the spelling is wrong)

aabb88
04-01-2005, 12:46 AM
Thanks everyone.
I'm going to try some of the methods you all metioned.

:clap:

knox
07-26-2005, 11:01 AM
hey where did you get it done