PDA

View Full Version : mazda RX7 FD3s

2000impreza
01-02-2003, 10:35 PM
i really like the 3rd gen RX7 but i've heard rotary engines are a real pain in the ass to maintain... and aren't that reliable. what does everyone think of the RX7 and rotary engines?

mmm... RX7
http://bellsouthpwp.net/f/l/flybye/silver%20FD7.jpg

StangGT500
01-02-2003, 11:16 PM
My brother has one: http://www.cardomain.com/id/aspirerx7

Yeah, rotary engines are a beyotch. Constantly blowing apex seals and the such. The old Turbo II's are awesome, though.

cynik
01-02-2003, 11:21 PM
I've owned two 87's, and I never had a problem with the engines in either. The one thing I saw in both is the standard problem with leaky fuel injectors, hence the fuel pump cutoff switches I had installed on both (often touted as "security options" when you check them out in dealerships or private sales).

Awesome cars, definitely the best handling car short of spending 30 grand. The last one I had (that I traded in for my lude) had 280000 km on it was still going strong, altho the logicon, power windows, exhaust and everything EXCEPT the engine was dead.

ecstasyracer
01-03-2003, 12:10 AM
what does everyone think of the RX7 and rotary engines?
I think they are the only way to go......but my opinions probly a litte biased.

Rotary's aren't necesarily bad engines. N/A enigines are very reliable, only 3 moving parts as compared to a piston engine.:) Second gen turbo II's aren't to bad either. It was just mainly the FD with its sequential turbos's that had problems. With properly tuned single turbo upgrades they can be fairly relaible. FD's are definetly one of the nicest body's ever made though.

ecstasyracer
01-03-2003, 12:20 AM
Don't forget about the 1st generations rx-7's either. With a little work they can look really good. And they are light too. Mine is a real blast to drive.

RiCE-DaDDy
01-03-2003, 01:32 AM
true u gotta pay more attention and apply more effort into the enigine but the payoff is worth it

Joe Malms
01-03-2003, 03:46 AM
Originally posted by ecstasyracer

Rotary's aren't necesarily bad engines. N/A enigines are very reliable, only 3 moving parts as compared to a piston engine.:) Second gen turbo II's aren't to bad either. It was just mainly the FD with its sequential turbos's that had problems. With properly tuned single turbo upgrades they can be fairly relaible. FD's are definetly one of the nicest body's ever made though.

well said
Finnicky cars, but definetely fun.
Oh..and you forgot about the viper-like gas consumption of the 3rd gens.

Murph
01-03-2003, 04:21 AM
the best anolagy I have heard about Rotary's is

They are the woman of the car world... with a some good TLC they will put out. :)

4wheeldrift
01-03-2003, 07:43 AM
The 3rd gen cars have an extremely well developed chassis, very rigid and well designed. Suspension geometery makes handling extremely good, the only real weak point is the sequential twin turbo rotary. The older RX-7s with normally aspirated motors are well known for being extremely reliable as long as the cooling system is maintained. Heat is the biggest enemy of rotary engines, but its nothing that can't be conquered wtih some intelligent upgrades to preserve the life of the car.

Hipermax_d
01-03-2003, 12:13 PM
i heard their pretty hard to maintain and if something goes wrong, it takes a while to get it fixed because its a different type of engine.
the mechanics have to know the engine well and how it works real well or it wont be fixed the right way.
it took a long time to make it perfect, so other manufacturers didnt make it because they thought it wouldnt sell and takes too long to design and test.

but i think the rotary is an awesome engine. i love the sound and its really small and compact.

92 Teg-B18A
01-03-2003, 12:20 PM
FD's are definetly one of the nicest body's ever made though.

:werd:

importadrenelin
01-03-2003, 01:27 PM
I've owned an FD.... Really sleek looking car and the handling is spot on. If you were going to buy one, I would probably buy one with a blown engine and have RX-7 Specialities build you a new engine with 3MM Apex Seals & a Port & Polish. The 3MM seals can withstand more abuse, but honestly if you properly tune the engine it will be reliable.
You do have to pay more attention to the rotary then a normal cylinder engine, maintenance costs can be quite $bling$ too.
Actually there is a "Reliability Mod List" you should do to a stock FD, this usually includes Downpipe, Radiator, Intercooler. This is because Stock FD cooling system is ineffective in hot weather especially if your at a track day.
Anyways I'll stop talking, all in all get a Blowmotor 7 get a Rebuild done you'll have a reliable 7 for under $22K CDN.

2000impreza
01-03-2003, 11:17 PM
i was thinking of getting one with low mileage but rebuilt engine would probably be just as good. i want a car i don't have to go crazy on mods.... don't know if i'll get a RX7. if i was i'll probably just do the "Reliability Mod List" and suspension and leave it at that.

ninspeed
01-03-2003, 11:22 PM
My neighbour has one.. Hella sweet car.. he had it in the shop for a long time though.. something to do with the turbo timing.. I think about 2 months.. I dont think there are any mechanics in town that are mazda authorized to work on the FD;s turbo..

If you get one, I say go single.

ecstasyracer
01-03-2003, 11:31 PM
There have been many horror stories of mazda dealers recking the turbo's or charging for new turbo's when it was a very simple and cheap problem. So basically don't take an FD to Mazda becuase they don't know anything about them generally.

rx7_turbo2
01-04-2003, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by importadrenelin
I would probably buy one with a blown engine and have RX-7 Specialities build you a new engine with 3MM Apex Seals & a Port & Polish. The 3MM seals can withstand more abuse,

I would suggest doing ALOT more research on the 3mm seal issue before going with it. They don't seal nearly as well, and how could you accurately machine a new groove to accept 3mm seals without blue printing the rotor first. The seals on the rotor have very little room for error, playing around with their dimensions is a bad idea if you ask me. I think you'll find that the world of the rotary motor is filled with much more nonsense and misunderstanding than that of the piston world. There are plenty of really high horsepower rotaries running 2mm seals. Are rotaries less reliable? I would say the turbo's probably are, it's hard to say though with no real stats being taken on the subject. The n/a's seem to be just find. The RX-7 and the rotary motor appeal to a certain crowd, it has something to do with the desire to be a little different.

Cheers
Graham

davidI
01-04-2003, 01:44 AM
I've heard they're hard to maintain but I'd buy one just because they look sweet as hell and then I could get a license plate saying "Wankel"

importadrenelin
01-04-2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by rx7_turbo2

I would suggest doing ALOT more research on the 3mm seal issue before going with it. They don't seal nearly as well, and how could you accurately machine a new groove to accept 3mm seals without blue printing the rotor first. The seals on the rotor have very little room for error, playing around with their dimensions is a bad idea if you ask me. Cheers
Graham

You are correct, BUT really good 2MM seals are expensive, I was going to add 2MM Seals made by a very good company, I can't think of the name off the top of my head but those seals were hella expensive. Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to say thicker is better, but for the price and value 3MM are still good choices, if you have more money to spend on seals then get the Andretti 2MM Seals, I think thats the name of the company...

Hakkola
01-04-2003, 02:00 PM
3rd gen RX-7 is one of my fave cars ever, for under 80g's there's is absolutely nothing I'd rather have.

redbaron303
01-04-2003, 02:35 PM
The rx7's are sweet, all three generations of them! Everyone is right, the third are harder to maintain because of the turbo system, but if you ahve time and money you can have one the sweetest rides around!

I have first gen 7 that i think is great, I can drive it easily in the winter, and drive it hard in the summer and havne't had any real problems with mine. Mine leaks some oil and thats it. I have a few friends with 2nd gen turbos' and n/as and they're all awesome, very powerful considering they don't have pistons and are either 1.1L 12A or a 1.3L 13B rotary motor! I also have a couple of friends with 3rd gen cars, one is stock, one is moded from body to engine, and one has the engine done up quite nice. They all run good times at the track.

Maintanence, buy a shop manual or haynes manual and do some reading on the engine, it is different and I would never again take my rotor motor to see a mechanic at the Mazda dealer... they're all full of SHIT and probably don't understand that there are no pistons in that motor. The key to keeping it in pristine order is finding someone who knows rotary engines and allowing them to work on the car. Each car is a little different and you must get to know your car so you don't get screwed on the servicing. The main thing I'd say if you're buying a clean daily driver and not one you are going to modify to extremes is always check the oil, they are known to burn it off a little faster than some cars :)

As for reliability, I've found mine to be reliable... I've never filled out my cold start tank so I've had problems starting em in the winter... but once they're going they're great... Most people don't drive their cars in the winter either so it shouldn't be a problem. They'll usually start pretty quick and tend to be reliable on long distance trips, my first gen will cruise to redeer at 130-140 with no problems at all (I say redeer cause that's as far as I've gone with it...)

If you need some more information check out www.rx7club.com It's a rotary powered forum :) For all the wankel heads out there.k

rx7_turbo2
01-04-2003, 02:58 PM
but for the price and value 3MM are still good choices,

Not really, 3mm is more expensive than the stock 2mm seals and all you really get is a sloppier weaker motor. People will argue they can withstand more detonation based on the arguement thicker is better but I have yet to see any real proof of that. What I have seen is 3mm seals blow under perfect ignition and fueling conditions just like 2mm. I will agree if you have the cash then there are better 2mm options than stock, but if it's a case of standard 3mm and stock 2mm I would save the cash and stick with 2mm. I think the real problem with them comes from having to modify the rotor. I know the topic has been discussed with a couple of machinists who after looking at a rotor have said it would be nearly impossible to find the center of the groove to machine. On a brand new rotor it might be possible, but on a used rotor you have to deal with wear and other variables, in addition to the fact every rotor is different.

Cheers
Graham

importadrenelin
01-04-2003, 03:10 PM

Not really, 3mm is more expensive than the stock 2mm seals and all you really get is a sloppier weaker motor.

Well I was comparing 3MM Seals to Aftermarket 2MM Seals not stock 2MM Seals, so yes obvously stock seals are cheaper. It has been argued that the 3MM Seals can withstand more detonation, but as you said, and from what I have seen myself there has been 3MM seals that break while the engine is seeing perfect detonation and timing, this is the same with 2MM seals as well.
I think what it comes down to is tuning and as you said once modified it is a different ball game.
Anyways to sum it up we could go back and forth for hours arguing which is better because there is soo many different varialble.

Have a good one Graham and thanks for some of the information!

Hipermax_d
01-04-2003, 08:47 PM
I would probably buy one with a blown engine and have RX-7 Specialities build you a new engine

try getting REamemiya to do your engine rebuild :drool:

rx7_turbo2
01-05-2003, 12:04 AM
I think what it comes down to is tuning

Agreed :D

Maxt
01-05-2003, 11:01 AM
My next trip to the dyno will answer the 2mm vs 3mm debate....
Looking at the mondo high horspower cars that are coming out of Japan and Australia, it appears the best seal is the stock 2mm... The downside is putting the motor together, its tougher with the 3 piece 2mm, alot of people like the single or 2 piece seals becuase its easier to keep it right when assembling the rotor.
Alot of the aftermarket seal were made to overcome specific problems in specific applications, but were not designed around street car usage like the Mazda oem seals were.
And when it really comes down to it, its how the motor is put together as well..Out of spec parts with either seals does no good.

As far as the FD is concerned, I wouldn't be scared of owning one,I think I would ditch the stock ecu and turbo's though right from day one, as I have seen what a good turbo on rotary drives like first hand..Maxt

Turbo dodge env
01-05-2003, 08:16 PM
if u didnt like rotary u could always do what my buddie did 383 stroker lol sorry all u rotary guys u wouldent stand a chance against his rx7

rx7_turbo2
01-05-2003, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Turbo dodge env
if u didnt like rotary u could always do what my buddie did 383 stroker lol sorry all u rotary guys u wouldent stand a chance against his rx7

Hahaha, you don't know what you're talking about, oh and you need to learn how to spell.

ecstasyracer
01-05-2003, 10:41 PM
Try posting that on rx7club.com and watch the 5 pages of flames u get. Oh and I'll race your buddys rx7 with the heavy ass front end around a corner any day.

mrmattyk
01-05-2003, 10:59 PM
The reason why there were so many bad reviews is that people bought the RX-7, and they didn't take care of it (so naturally it broke down on them). Most people just buy cars and drive them to the ground. It's a high-maintenance vehicle, but if it's also high-performance.

My friend has an RX7, and he babies it. It hasn't had any problems at all. Apparently they work the best with 92+ octane, but I think premium is just fine.

Initially Mazda has a lot of complaints with the RX-7 because people weren't taking care of the oil levels. The Rotary engine is like no other, and it requires special care.

I enjoyed the quote comparing an RX7 to a woman.

rx7_turbo2
01-05-2003, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by mrmattyk
The reason why there were so many bad reviews is that people bought the RX-7, and they didn't take care of it (so naturally it broke down on them). Most people just buy cars and drive them to the ground. It's a high-maintenance vehicle, but if it's also high-performance.

My friend has an RX7, and he babies it. It hasn't had any problems at all. Apparently they work the best with 92+ octane, but I think premium is just fine.

Initially Mazda has a lot of complaints with the RX-7 because people weren't taking care of the oil levels. The Rotary engine is like no other, and it requires special care.

I enjoyed the quote comparing an RX7 to a woman.

Most owners agree the turbo models run best on higher octane fuel (which is becoming harder to find in this province) The non-turbo models run better on 87 octane. Rotaries need oil because they inject a small quantity into the combustion chamber for lubrication. Many people don't know this and claim their RX-7 is using oil as if it were a bad thing, it's supposed to do this. For various reasons many owners choose to ditch the oil metering pump and just run premix like a two stroke motor, believe me if you get behind one that's running it you'll smell it.

James
01-06-2003, 05:07 AM

I know a Stock Turbo Probe that more than "stood a chance"
:thumbsup:..It was Raining, i'll cut him Some Slack, no sense in Bragging! :tongue:

yakish
01-06-2003, 06:43 AM
the car uotside is :thumbsup:

4wheeldrift
01-06-2003, 07:41 AM

Try posting that on rx7club.com and watch the 5 pages of flames u get. Oh and I'll race your buddys rx7 with the heavy ass front end around a corner any day. I personally know a guy who did a 350 conversion on a second gen RX-7, and the car only gained 50 pounds in the process. You'd be surprised how light a modern aluminum block 350 is.

Taloness
01-06-2003, 12:23 PM
Just getting caught up after my internet-absence...

Graham - Good argument. Well put.
Max - Glad to hear that you will dyno again - I may join you with my Franken-7 this year!

I'm sure that there are a few of us that would take on your buddy's non-rotary RX7, Turbo Dodge . . . we'll see who is at Race City this summer!

Turbo dodge env
01-06-2003, 03:58 PM
And uhh sorry james but that wasnt a strocker engine that the probe raced that was a bone stock 350 so there wouldent be much point in bragging about that my other buddie has the stroker and he can murder bobby ( the guy u met with the 350 ) sorry to disappoint u but wasnt the same car

Joe Malms
01-06-2003, 09:44 PM
And uhh sorry james but that wasnt a strocker engine that the probe raced that was a bone stock 350 so there wouldent be much point in bragging about that my other buddie has the stroker and he can murder bobby ( the guy u met with the 350 ) sorry to disappoint u but wasnt the same car

thats okay, cause the ones we can line you up with arent stock either.

rx7_turbo2
01-06-2003, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
I personally know a guy who did a 350 conversion on a second gen RX-7, and the car only gained 50 pounds in the process. You'd be surprised how light a modern aluminum block 350 is.

Overall weight isnt the issue. Because of the shape of the rotary it sits very low and back. The 350 sits up much higher and farther forward. As for the V8 vs rotary debate it's been done a million times, my point was that saying a v8 will automaticaly beat a rotary is just ignorant, do some research.

Turbo dodge env
01-07-2003, 01:43 AM
man turbo 2 i know what im talken about compleatly and i never once said that a v8 will beat a rotary automaticaly all i know is that this rx7 would walk al over any rotary ive ever seen or heard of and as to where the engine sits on a v8 i think that u need more info too and all u rotary guys that get all temprimental when people do v8 swaps give it a rest its there damn car so why do u care and if they kick ur ass when there done how can u bitch ??? just curious

ecstasy_civic
01-07-2003, 01:54 AM
hmmm as for that comment about
all i know is that this rx7 would walk al over any rotary ive ever seen or heard
i can think of a handfull here in calgary that you couldnt say that about.

all u rotary guys that get all temprimental when people do v8 swaps give it a rest its there damn car so why do u care and if they kick ur ass when there done how can u bitch ??? just curious
dont get me started:banghead:

rx7turbo_2
do some research
:werd: especially since you obviously have no idea the potential of a turbo rotary:rofl:

300rwhp
01-07-2003, 03:00 AM
turbo V8 rx-7 hahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!

finboy
01-07-2003, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by 300rwhp
turbo V8 rx-7 hahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!! :poosie:
best of both worlds :rofl:

that would be the pimp shit

Joe Malms
01-07-2003, 04:48 AM
man turbo 2 i know what im talken about compleatly and i never once said that a v8 will beat a rotary automaticaly all i know is that this rx7 would walk al over any rotary ive ever seen or heard of

you sure dont know what you're spelling about
lol
Looks like Cleatus needs a bit more edjumacation.
Please use some fucking punctuation.

If it would walk all over any rotary you know, you apparently don't know that many, pal.

As for the whole v8 arguement, i think its cool. Its something different. But you trailer park boys need to open your mind and realize the world doesnt revolve around your pushrod engines.

Turbo dodge env
01-07-2003, 04:54 AM
sorry guys no offence intended i never ment to piss anyone off and i juss get a little riled up sometimes juss a contrivertal person i guess and as to my shitty spelling and grammer ur all right i do suck at it sorry agian never ment any offence to any of u and i do like rotary dont get me wrong im juss not to familiar with any that have been heavaly modified so sorry again to anyone i offended

James
01-07-2003, 04:59 AM
Not Bad, only 9 spelling mistakes! :thumbsup: j/k

Joe Malms
01-07-2003, 05:00 AM
A good example of what a turbo rotary is capable of

http://flathat.woodstream.net/ColumbusRacing/RX7_nocab_vs_03Cobra.WMV

mods for 03 cobra Car on left:
Factory supercharged, Lightening pulley(more boost), X-pipe, Magnaflow Cat-back, Diablosport chip, intake, and 4.10 gears

mods for 94 rx7-Car on right:
gt35/40 bb turbo (not a huge turbo) (bigger injectors, mgmt system)
straight piped, intercooler, 15psi

I will give you the advantage in terms of sound. Haha..some (ie. alot of) rotaries sound like poo.

mrmattyk
01-07-2003, 05:27 AM
I never get tired of that vid. Hey Joe, I gotta ask you something.

Am I right in telling my friend he should not supercharge his RX-7 (He says he found a supercharger) but Turbo it instead?

Joe Malms
01-07-2003, 05:43 AM
He's gonna custom fit one on there?
Thats alot of work
If its a kit, its not bad. What model is his?
You can't just go and turbo the n/a models if its a 6port engine.
And if you do, its a fair amount of work.

mrmattyk
01-07-2003, 06:04 AM
Originally posted by Joe Malms
He's gonna custom fit one on there?
Thats alot of work
If its a kit, its not bad. What model is his?
You can't just go and turbo the n/a models if its a 6port engine.
And if you do, its a fair amount of work.

1987 GX
That's all I know, I can find out more though..

thanks for the response

Maxt
01-07-2003, 07:38 AM
I've had the oppertunity to cruise with Cobra kit cars with engines ranging from 302's to 429's in my rx-7, I think it was more of an eyeopener for them than a eyeopener for me...
I'll run against anything...Maxt

4wheeldrift
01-07-2003, 07:52 AM

Overall weight isnt the issue. Because of the shape of the rotary it sits very low and back. The 350 sits up much higher and farther forward. As for the V8 vs rotary debate it's been done a million times, my point was that saying a v8 will automaticaly beat a rotary is just ignorant, do some research. I can think of a few people who would debate the disadvantages of putting a V8 in there, and its not as much as you seem to think. Having ridden in a 350 powered 2nd gen on the road course and in solos, I can tell you that when done properly there isn't the disadvantage you seem to think. Its quite possible to get the 350 low in the engine bay and to the back (and I've seen it done).

rx7_turbo2
01-07-2003, 09:13 AM
I can think of a few people who would debate the disadvantages of putting a V8 in there, and its not as much as you seem to think. Having ridden in a 350 powered 2nd gen on the road course and in solos, I can tell you that when done properly there isn't the disadvantage you seem to think. Its quite possible to get the 350 low in the engine bay and to the back (and I've seen it done).

If you do your research and custom fab motor mounts and alike I will agree it is possible to mount a 350 in a more optimum position. Most of the kits I have seen don't do this however. All the V8 conversions I've seen in person or on the road have been a monstrocity (sp?).

turbo dodge env, that's what I meant, before you go shooting your mouth off about stuff do a little research first. I'm not a big fan of swapping a V8 into an RX-7 but that's just me, if it's not my car I shouldnt care, I'll just try my best to build a car better using the rotary.

finboy
01-07-2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Joe Malms

you sure dont know what you're spelling about
lol
Looks like Cleatus needs a bit more edjumacation.
Please use some fucking punctuation.

If it would walk all over any rotary you know, you apparently don't know that many, pal.

As for the whole v8 arguement, i think its cool. Its something different. But you trailer park boys need to open your mind and realize the world doesnt revolve around your pushrod engines.

no pushrods here, just good old SOHC :angel:

Joe Malms
01-07-2003, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Maxt
I'll run against anything...Maxt
thats the spirit!
haha

ecstasyracer
01-07-2003, 05:08 PM
I can think of a few people who would debate the disadvantages of putting a V8 in there, and its not as much as you seem to think. Having ridden in a 350 powered 2nd gen on the road course and in solos, I can tell you that when done properly there isn't the disadvantage you seem to think. Its quite possible to get the 350 low in the engine bay and to the back (and I've seen it done).

Just trying to mount a V8 low in the chassis isn't good enough. Ever looked under the hood of an rx7? Except for the small intake manifold, the farthest the engine comes up isn't very far off the ground, and about 12 inches below the cowl. And thats where the heaviest part is. This is just one advantage that rx-7's have and most people don't realize it. Now a V8 on the other hand has a lot of weight higher up and is just naturally a lot taller. Its impossible to mount a V8 low enough to get the same effect.

2M6
01-07-2003, 05:32 PM
The heads are quite heavy and high up on a V engine.

4wheeldrift
01-07-2003, 06:21 PM

Just trying to mount a V8 low in the chassis isn't good enough. Ever looked under the hood of an rx7? Except for the small intake manifold, the farthest the engine comes up isn't very far off the ground, and about 12 inches below the cowl. And thats where the heaviest part is. This is just one advantage that rx-7's have and most people don't realize it. Now a V8 on the other hand has a lot of weight higher up and is just naturally a lot taller. Its impossible to mount a V8 low enough to get the same effect. The height of the motor has a negligible impact on polar moment of rotation, only on center of gravity. Using a custom oil pan you can get the motor VERY low in the chassis, low enough that the difference in elevation is negligible. Trust me, I've seen it done and it works very, VERY well. And as for the heads being heavy, ever felt aluminum heads? VERY light compared to old school cast iron ones. If you doubt a 350 powered RX-7 can handle just as well as a rotary powered one, come to a solo 2 sometime and see a properly done RX-V8.

ecstasyracer
01-07-2003, 06:57 PM
If you doubt a 350 powered RX-7 can handle just as well as a rotary powered one, come to a solo 2 sometime and see a properly done RX-V8.

I had planned on participating in lots of solo 2's this summer anyway, but i guess now I'll get to see this handling wonder.

ecstasy_civic
01-07-2003, 08:43 PM
but i guess now I'll get to see this handling wonder.
:werd:

Maxt
01-07-2003, 09:37 PM
I have seen and talked to the guy with the chevy crate motor in the seven, nice guy... He has done alot to get that motor livable in that car, for what he spent on it though, he could have done a 3 rotor for half the price...In the end if you want a camaro, buy a camaro, its cheaper to buy a car whole, then build it piece by piece.
The orange thing that has the small block in it, is a handling nightmare, the weight of the motor has the back end jacked up like a cat in heat, it was beside me one day on 12th street, it was bump steering from every little road imperfection, its an accident waiting to happen, no doubt the guy put alot of work into it, but it needs twice as much to make it a decent car.
How much of a wieght difference is there? well the other day I picked up a 13b and put it on end with my bare hands, and I ain't that big of guy...Maxt

4wheeldrift
01-07-2003, 09:47 PM
I have seen and talked to the guy with the chevy crate motor in the seven, nice guy... He has done alot to get that motor livable in that car, for what he spent on it though, he could have done a 3 rotor for half the price...In the end if you want a camaro, buy a camaro, its cheaper to buy a car whole, then build it piece by piece. Tried to make a camaro handle really well? it involves an absolutely sick amount of work to do it. Cheaper than putting a V8 into an RX-7 and doing the job properly? Probably, but by the time you are done cutting up everything and anything to fix the problems with the suspension geometry, motor placement in the chassis etc, dropping a 350 into an RX-7 with a dead motor that you pick up for song is a viable alternative.

ecstasyracer
01-07-2003, 11:32 PM
The orange thing that has the small block in it, is a handling nightmare, the weight of the motor has the back end jacked up like a cat in heat
Thats the one with the jigsawed hole in the hood for the carb right? I think I heard that car has a bigger displacement engine than 350cubic inches. Something around 400 i think. And he obviosly hasn't tried to make it lighter. That car is a disgrace, EVEN to V8 rx7's.

rx7_turbo2
01-08-2003, 01:00 AM
In the end if you want a camaro, buy a camaro, its cheaper to buy a car whole, then build it piece by piece.

Bingo, why spend that much money getting a V8 in, why not use the money to rebuild and port the rotary? It just never made much sense to me. I will agree that orange one looks like an absolute nightmare.

300rwhp
01-08-2003, 02:03 AM
"Thats the one with the jigsawed hole in the hood for the carb right? I think I heard that car has a bigger displacement engine than 350cubic inches. Something around 400 i think. And he obviosly hasn't tried to make it lighter. That car is a disgrace, EVEN to V8 rx7's."

it is the air cleaner that actualy pops out of the hood, a 400 i susually just a stroked 350

Maxt
01-08-2003, 07:45 AM
Tried to make a camaro handle really well? it involves an absolutely sick amount of work to do it. Cheaper than putting a V8 into an RX-7 and doing the job properly? Probably, but by the time you are done cutting up everything and anything to fix the problems with the suspension geometry, motor placement in the chassis etc, dropping a 350 into an RX-7 with a dead motor that you pick up for song is a viable alternative.
I doubt a decent suspension setup for a camaro is cheaper than doing a v-8 swap and a suspension job in the seven to handle the v-8, the camaro would be about half the work as the 350 is already present..

A 400 small block is the same external dimensions as a 350, it has a larger bore and stroke, and siamesed cylinders, but thats about it..Maxt

4wheeldrift
01-08-2003, 07:54 AM

I doubt a decent suspension setup for a camaro is cheaper than doing a v-8 swap and a suspension job in the seven to handle the v-8, the camaro would be about half the work as the 350 is already present..

A 400 small block is the same external dimensions as a 350, it has a larger bore and stroke, and siamesed cylinders, but thats about it..Maxt Except in limited production models, only the newer than 94 models came with a 350 under the hood from the factory. Most came with the chev 305s, which just aren't that great of a motor. There really isn't that much required suspension wise on a RX-7 that needs upgrading with a V8 in there unless you are going for simply stupid amounts of power out of your V8. The guy who is using his for solo has not done a lot to the suspension beyond springs and shocks and the car handles extremely well, but he's got a pretty mild V8 in it.

Maxt
01-08-2003, 09:34 PM
Umm , yeah ok...
Next time you see that car, have a good long look at it, there isn't one bit of the stock suspension left in it, plus its got rear toe elimanators, adjustable end links, mazda speed bushings, camber adjuster plates, yada yada yada, stock suspension my ass...
His motor is Gen II 350 375hp crate motor, which retails for approximatley 4000.US, or 7500 canadian, plus the ancillery devices, tranny, custom driveshaft, cooling system,labour and other junk figure on 10,000 in powertrain alone..
Its funny guys that do the 350 swap into the rx-7 always have the same idea that the rotary is to expensive to make fast or get big horsepower, and then they drop 10 fucking grand plus on a motor swap, What the hell is the logic behind that, really to start getting 'exotic' horsepower levels out of a v-8, you end up spending a ton on speed parts, to get 1hp/cid unless you do the engine build all yourself and know the ins and outs of motors, which very few do..Stock block turbo rotary will make 400hp, the bottom line is the average joe doesn't have the brains or the ambition to do it..
Recheck your camaro stats, there were alot of years where there were 3 levels of 350's available, a 350 being special order,now thats funny...

4wheeldrift
01-09-2003, 08:02 AM
Umm , yeah ok...
Next time you see that car, have a good long look at it, there isn't one bit of the stock suspension left in it, plus its got rear toe elimanators, adjustable end links, mazda speed bushings, camber adjuster plates, yada yada yada, stock suspension my ass... Ok, so the car has a built suspension. But none of what he has done to it does shit for getting the power to the ground. The geometry of the stock RX-7 suspension is already extremely good in terms of getting the power down so why mess with it? Everythere there is for handling.

His motor is Gen II 350 375hp crate motor, which retails for approximatley 4000.US, or 7500 canadian, plus the ancillery devices, tranny, custom driveshaft, cooling system,labour and other junk figure on 10,000 in powertrain alone..
Its funny guys that do the 350 swap into the rx-7 always have the same idea that the rotary is to expensive to make fast or get big horsepower, and then they drop 10 fucking grand plus on a motor swap, What the hell is the logic behind that, really to start getting 'exotic' horsepower levels out of a v-8, you end up spending a ton on speed parts, to get 1hp/cid unless you do the engine build all yourself and know the ins and outs of motors, which very few do..Stock block turbo rotary will make 400hp, the bottom line is the average joe doesn't have the brains or the ambition to do it..Yeah, and by the time you are done upgrading everything but the internals to keep your rotary from self destructing, you've spent close to $10k anyways, so you really aren't any further ahead. Both cars end up with 400hp, they just get there different ways.

Recheck your camaro stats, there were alot of years where there were 3 levels of 350's available, a 350 being special order,now thats funny... Re-read my post. I was referring to the '82 to '92 camaros, the ones that I consider most likely to end up as a project car by the same people who would make a gen 2 RX-7 into a project car due to financial constraints or out of wanting to try something different. That generation of camaro was only available with a 350 in certain limited run packages (IROC-Z), all the rest came with 305s. After 1992 the 350 became the standard V8.

rx7_turbo2
01-09-2003, 12:06 PM

Yeah, and by the time you are done upgrading everything but the internals to keep your rotary from self destructing, you've spent close to $10k anyways, so you really aren't any further ahead. Both cars end up with 400hp, they just get there different ways.

Like what? I can think of the ussual things regarding fueling but even with a standalone engine management $10k is pretty high. And you are further ahead because you don't have an akwardly positioned and heavy 350 sitting under the hood throwing the dynamics of the car off.

three.eighteen.
01-09-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by 300rwhp
turbo V8 rx-7 hahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!

yeah like those rotary mustangs...:rolleyes:

Joe Malms
01-09-2003, 02:31 PM
Yeah, and by the time you are done upgrading everything but the internals to keep your rotary from self destructing, you've spent close to $10k anyways

and what exactly would this include to amount to a rather large 10k?
do you actually have any experience first hand with these cars or are you talking out of your ass?
There is no way 10K worth of parts is needed, especially for the 2nd gen's.

300rwhp
01-09-2003, 03:57 PM
"yeah like those rotary mustangs..."
who said anything about a rotary mustang?

Maxt
01-10-2003, 07:29 PM
Ok, so the car has a built suspension. But none of what he has done to it does shit for getting the power to the ground. The geometry of the stock RX-7 suspension is already extremely good in terms of getting the power down so why mess with it? Everythere there is for handling.

Yeah, and by the time you are done upgrading everything but the internals to keep your rotary from self destructing, you've spent close to $10k anyways, so you really aren't any further ahead. Both cars end up with 400hp, they just get there different ways.

Re-read my post. I was referring to the '82 to '92 camaros, the ones that I consider most likely to end up as a project car by the same people who would make a gen 2 RX-7 into a project car due to financial constraints or out of wanting to try something different. That generation of camaro was only available with a 350 in certain limited run packages (IROC-Z), all the rest came with 305s. After 1992 the 350 became the standard V8.
Everything he did to the suspension was to get the car to the power to ground after the swap, when it was first done, it lifted the rear wheel in the corners, and didn't hook worth a pinch..Yes the stock suspension(with the stock motor) handles well, with 550 lbs of motor hanging to far forward it does not, get it yet?
Spend 10K on what, fuel pumps? I barely have 10k into my car, including the damn car...

I re-read your post, you said prior to 94, which I took as anything before 94, If you were referring to 82-92, you are still out to lunch, Iroc's with 350's are a dime a dozen, 69-81 are even more common..Maxt