PDA

View Full Version : Custom Color on Factory Order Car

max_boost
03-31-2005, 03:49 AM
Has anyone ever ordered a vehicle and requested the manufacturer to paint it a different color? Is such a request possible?

For example some colors are specific to the US market and not available in Canada, would it make a difference if it was a factory color or not?

Redlyne_mr2
03-31-2005, 07:45 AM
Yea you usually can for additional costs, Porsche used to offer that. I know Mercedes has their Designo option which means you can pretty much chooses any ext/interior combination for an additional cost.

RickDaTuner
03-31-2005, 08:01 AM
you can but i would be that the dealer would get what ever car you wanted in what ever color was available, then it would be shipped here. Upon arival it would go to a body shop to be painted to your specifications

me&you
03-31-2005, 04:11 PM
It will depend on the make and model. For example, Porsche has a system (can't remember the proper name), BMW has Individual-series, MB has one, but it's not Designo (those are in-house designs that often influence the truly custom orders).

If you're looking at a Civic, forget it. As far as I know, there isn't a Japanese brand that will do it, even Acura on the NSX or Lexus.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you better be sure of your choices. When ordering, you will have to put down a very sizable deposit (larger than usual), and it WILL NOT be refundable.

Most likely easier to go to a high-quality local shop and have them do it. If you do this, make sure to document it well to minimize suspisions that the car was painted because of an accident.

What are you looking at?

max_boost
03-31-2005, 05:00 PM
I'm looking at the SLK55

For American consumers MBUSA has a special package 'Granite designo' I am just after the exterior color. It's a darker silver, metallic gray, similar to what I have on my 330 right now. The rest of the silver colors offered by MB is too light for my taste.

I haven't contacted any salesguy yet, trying to decide if it would be better for me to order out of province, or in province, or even across the border with the strong dollar.

Fuji
03-31-2005, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
I'm looking at the SLK55

For American consumers MBUSA has a special package 'Granite designo' I am just after the exterior color. It's a darker silver, metallic gray, similar to what I have on my 330 right now. The rest of the silver colors offered by MB is too light for my taste.

I haven't contacted any salesguy yet, trying to decide if it would be better for me to order out of province, or in province, or even across the border with the strong dollar.

You're BLING. Just buy the car and paint it a custom color right away. What's money? :bigpimp: ;)

buh_buh
03-31-2005, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Fuji

You're BLING. Just buy the car and paint it a custom color right away. What's money? :bigpimp: ;) OEM paint is better than aftermarket paint foo!

BumpinTalon
03-31-2005, 05:56 PM
last I checked OEM paint is still provided by DuPont or House of Kolor or somebody, and I would actually say a premium DuPont or HOK paint from a good shop is better then your average factory paint job... I've seen a Benz or two with orange peel on them, and they were pretty new.
Before you try and order across the border, check and see if the car is legal as-is and then make sure it is legal for import. I don't think MB is under trade protection, like Toyota supposedly is, but it is good to check anyway since whatever money you save buying from the States will probably disappear when you try to import it .
I would just buy a car off the lot and spend $5k on a really really good paint job here in Calgary.

max_boost
03-31-2005, 09:08 PM
Yah thanks for all the good info.

Reason I'm looking to even cross border ordering is, there was a guy who bought an STi in Montana, about 6-7 hours away from here. All said and done, it came out to $44K for a brand new STi (taxes, duty, exchange, etc.) and full warranty as Subaru honors it.

Amazing deal!

ZorroAMG
04-01-2005, 01:11 AM
Sam, you can get the car with just designo exterior if you want. You don't have to go with the expensive desinger interior.

Good choice, the R171 AMG is going to be a great little car!

JordanLotoski
04-01-2005, 02:39 AM
man the slk 55 is like 83,000:eek: your insane with your cars man thats for sure

id so get this instead and save the 20k

http://www.canadatrader.com/result/detailinfo.aspx?ID=6953621&pgno=1

ZorroAMG
04-01-2005, 10:30 AM
Yeah you'd save 20k, until your first oil change and tune up. Dude, ferraris are very special cars in that you not only need big money to buy them, but you need bigger money to maintain them. They are definitely NOT daily drivers and a 348 would be slower than the five five anyhow.

Still a hot italiana, though!

CRXguy
04-01-2005, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Yah thanks for all the good info.

Reason I'm looking to even cross border ordering is, there was a guy who bought an STi in Montana, about 6-7 hours away from here. All said and done, it came out to $44K for a brand new STi (taxes, duty, exchange, etc.) and full warranty as Subaru honors it.

Amazing deal!

I like the sound of this! haha

:thumbsup: