PDA

View Full Version : Mercedes Recalls 1.3 Million Cars

sputnik
03-31-2005, 09:37 AM
http://money.cnn.com/2005/03/31/Autos/mercedes_recall.reut/index.htm?cnn=yes

FRANKFURT (Reuters) - U.S.-German carmaker DaimlerChrysler is recalling 1.3 million Mercedes cars as it tries to fix quality woes that are riddling its German luxury car division, it said Thursday.

Mercedes will recall the cars in several model ranges worldwide to fix problems with alternators and batteries, which do not affect the cars' safety, according to the supplier, car-parts maker Robert Bosch.

Mercedes chief Eckhard Cordes, who said earlier this year that his drive to resolve the quality problems would hit this year's earnings, said the cars Mercedes makes now are of high quality and that the recall addressed legacy problems.

"We are now producing the best product quality ever and our aim is to ensure that those vehicles in the hands of customers which are the cause of complaints achieve a standard of quality that reflects our highest expectations," Cordes said in a statement. DaimlerChrysler declined to say how much the recall would cost. Shares in DaimlerChrysler dipped after news of the recall, paring earlier gains, to trade up 0.3 percent at 34.56 in afternoon activity, in line with the blue-chip DAX index.

Mercedes said it would check, and if necessary, replace the voltage regulator in the alternator on vehicles with six- and eight-cylinder engines built between June 2001 and Nov. 2004 in the recall.

The carmaker will install new battery-control software on E-class and CLS-class models made from Jan. 2002 to Jan. 2005. In addition, it will update the braking system on current E-class, SL-class and CLS-class models, made since June 2001.

Proyecto2000
03-31-2005, 10:27 AM
thats what they get for getting involved with American Car company's. :rofl:

Hollywood
04-03-2005, 01:38 PM
Ya and people get mad at me when I bash a mercedes reliability......:banghead: 1.3 million bwahahahaha,:eek:

Neil4Speed
04-03-2005, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Hollywood
Ya and people get mad at me when I bash a mercedes reliability......:banghead: 1.3 million bwahahahaha,:eek:

Hey man,

Yes its true that of recent times that Mecedes Reliablity has been shoddy, but honestly anything made during 1960-1985 has been bulletproof, and to a simmilar extent anything made from 1985-1996 or so.

Mercedes has been really fucking up lately, its a horrible demise for a great company.

Alpine Autowerks
04-03-2005, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Proyecto2000
thats what they get for getting involved with American Car company's. :rofl:

:dunno:

The problem seems to be with Bosch supplied alternators & batteries. that has nothing to do with chrysler or benz but with a supplier.

Idratherbsidewayz
04-03-2005, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Alpine Autowerks

The problem seems to be with Bosch supplied alternators & batteries. that has nothing to do with chrysler or benz but with a supplier.

Werd, did anyone read past the title?

Redlyne_mr2
04-03-2005, 06:54 PM

Yep Bosch is the one having huge quality issues right now.

Hollywood
04-03-2005, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed

Hey man,

Yes its true that of recent times that Mecedes Reliablity has been shoddy, but honestly anything made during 1960-1985 has been bulletproof, and to a simmilar extent anything made from 1985-1996 or so.

Ya but 96 is almost 10 years old now. 10 years of poor history with expensive parts does not make a reliable company.

It has to do 100%. Who made the fully researched choice to buy and use those bosch products in there cars? Chrysler and benz.

To the end user broken down at minus 30 degree weather is not going to care that it's a bosch product that failed over a benz part. They only care that their 80k mercedes broke down, this is the bottom line.

ZorroAMG
04-04-2005, 10:51 AM
Yes, but do you think MB is the only company using Bosch as a supplier? Nope. The other companies that do have/will have the same issues, but no one will care because the spotlight is on MB.

The new MB's only have issues with the Bosch parts and issues with the command Navigation and audio combination. That HARDLY constitutes a big deal, or makes the cars POS's. It's not like BMW or Audi have been glitch free (i-drive, and audi's electrical issues). It's the price you pay to be innovators/leaders of new technology in the automotive world.

Lexus/Infiniti make good reliable products but are never cutting edge or the first to try anything. The German automakers do it first, they take it and improve on it. Of course it'll come out better the second or third time around.

In the end this will all be resolved and the world's best luxury car maker will be back on top :)

heavyD
04-04-2005, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
Yes, but do you think MB is the only company using Bosch as a supplier? Nope. The other companies that do have/will have the same issues, but no one will care because the spotlight is on MB.

The new MB's only have issues with the Bosch parts and issues with the command Navigation and audio combination. That HARDLY constitutes a big deal, or makes the cars POS's. It's not like BMW or Audi have been glitch free (i-drive, and audi's electrical issues). It's the price you pay to be innovators/leaders of new technology in the automotive world.

Lexus/Infiniti make good reliable products but are never cutting edge or the first to try anything. The German automakers do it first, they take it and improve on it. Of course it'll come out better the second or third time around.

In the end this will all be resolved and the world's best luxury car maker will be back on top :)

Bosch is the Nippon Denso of European cars and make everything from spark plugs, O2 sensors to injectors, etc. So even though it's not really MB's fault it still doesn't help consumer confidence as people will see "MB" and "recall".

As much as I like Japanese cars I have to agree that the Japanese in general really don't invent anything. They just take other nationalities inventions/ideas and perfect them. They didn't invent cars, radios, TV's, and contrary to popular belief Sony/Nintendo didn't invent home consoles either as that was by an American company called Atari.

ZorroAMG
04-04-2005, 03:19 PM
^agreed, it certainly doesn't help their image, but they will bounce back. At least they're correcting their mistakes.

M_Power
04-04-2005, 07:35 PM
At least they're correcting their mistakes.

:werd:
Its not like GM who has issues and says lets put out 10 more cars with the same problems.

Hollywood
04-04-2005, 10:07 PM

Yes but when you pay 80k for a benz over 22k for a neon to have the same electrical bosch parts fail makes the benz worse cause you paid 80k for substandard parts purchaced by the mercedes company.

Originally posted by heavyD
As much as I like Japanese cars I have to agree that the Japanese in general really don't invent anything. They just take other nationalities inventions/ideas and perfect them. They didn't invent cars, radios, TV's, and contrary to popular belief Sony/Nintendo didn't invent home consoles either as that was by an American company called Atari.

So they japanese perfect the parts, big deal. It they take the idea's and perfect them that makes them more perfect cars I guess.

It's not that I dont respect bmw and mercedes, when I see all the bad things going on with the cars locally and in the press, it discurages me when the price to fix off warrenty is costly.

ZorroAMG
04-05-2005, 01:02 AM
Actually, the difference in average cost for a repair between german and japanese isn't all that big. Shit I think ford charges 90/hr for labor now:nut:

I do agree that the same problem in a 22k car in a 80k car gets blown out of proportion and looks much worse for the more expensive cars, I guess euro afficionados have to simply pay a cost to be the boss :D

How are you enjoying the GS430 btw?

/////AMG
04-05-2005, 05:30 AM
Atleast it happened, and it was because of an ex guy that it happened. :thumbsup:

http://www.mbcanada.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=7961&view=findpost&p=86199

/////AMG
04-05-2005, 05:32 AM
Sorry, scroll down a little mroe and there a better article posted

direct link:
http://www.mbcanada.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=7961&view=findpost&p=86606

Hollywood
04-05-2005, 09:45 AM
Actually, the difference in average cost for a repair between german and japanese isn't all that big. Shit I think ford charges 90/hr for labor now:nut:

I do agree that the same problem in a 22k car in a 80k car gets blown out of proportion and looks much worse for the more expensive cars, I guess euro afficionados have to simply pay a cost to be the boss :D

How are you enjoying the GS430 btw?

Oh for sure, Lexus parts are expensive too no question about that. Lexus, BMW, Mercedes are all very close on the common repairs cost wise, so on all the cars you will end up paying at sometime, it's just how often per brand.....

What is a 100k service (average Timing belt change) on a mercedes CLK430, and BMW m5, BMW m3?

I love my new gs. And I love v8.:love:

heavyD
04-05-2005, 09:56 AM
And I love v8.:love:

You haven't driven in my Eclipse with the FPgreen yet. I finally installed the FMIC and it is "hold on for dear life" fast.:bigpimp:

Alpine Autowerks
04-05-2005, 04:25 PM

What is a 100k service (average Timing belt change) on a mercedes CLK430, and BMW m5, BMW m3?

$ 0 (zero) for the belt change...

they have chains.

the recall is for a alternator voltage regulator change or a software update for most of the affected cars, rather have that than the Toyo Tundra recall for the brake hose rubbing on the exhaust.
Nippon Denso is the Bosch of Japan they are the biggest licensee of Bosch patents

nhlfan
04-05-2005, 04:31 PM
:eek: maybe i better trade all five of mine in :bigpimp:

ok thats :bullshit: