PDA

View Full Version : Amp Wont Stay On

marco_wezo
03-31-2005, 10:38 AM
I have a Clarion APA200, I just took my car out of storgae and when I went to play my stereo the amp didn't come on. I checked all the voltages at the amp and noticed that I had 12.7 when the amp was off and when I turned it on it dropped down to 7.4. I was wondering if anybody has experienced this problem and if the had a cure. I'm also running a 1 Farad stiffening cap and the voltages are good there also. I ran the amp in the house and it worked fine?

SWX
03-31-2005, 02:30 PM
Let the car run for a while or hook it up to a charger it could just be that the battery is weak from sitting and needs to be charged.

fresh
03-31-2005, 05:06 PM
Battery or ALT.

marco_wezo
03-31-2005, 05:20 PM
I put a brand new 120 amp alternater in last fall and I just put a 1000 cranking amp Optima battery in. I let the car run and the voltage wire slowly went back up to 12V them when I put the trigger wire on it went back down to 7V. I looked at the cd player and there is nothing wrong with it so I'm confused? I think that it might be the tranformer in the amp because I had to boost the car when I picked it up. Anymore suggestions?

BumpinTalon
03-31-2005, 05:29 PM
you might have a short somewhere, making the amp draw too much current and then killing your voltage. check everything between the amp's outputs and whatever you are driving with it, especially at the terminals on the devices connected to it, just to make sure nothing is laying across them or anything that could cause a short.
if there is no short, your amp might be broken. what kind of amp are you using and what are you powering with it?

marco_wezo
03-31-2005, 05:33 PM
Yesterday I replaced all the power,ground and trigger and it still did the same thing, I relocated the amp from its rack just to make sure and it still did the same thing? Anymore suggestions

BumpinTalon
03-31-2005, 05:38 PM
the power, ground & remote aren't what you should be checking, you should be checking the speaker wires themselves. that is where the problem could be. if there is no apparent short in the speaker wires, then the amp broke sometime while it was in storage (maybe got condensation on the inside that wrecked some components).

marco_wezo
03-31-2005, 05:50 PM
I checked the wiring for the subs and they were fine, but that will cause the amp power to pulsate. I think the transformer is gone.

BumpinTalon
03-31-2005, 05:53 PM
probably ya, take it into a shop to get it tested or fixed.