PDA

View Full Version : Very Weird Computer Problem...Power Supply?? *need some ideas*

Weapon_R
03-31-2005, 11:14 PM
Hey guys,

Yet another computer hardware problem..

Ok, here goes:

I disconnected my main computer to retrieve a file on my older system. When I came to plug in the main (newer) system again, it would not start up at all. The light on the back of the PS was flashing, but no power.

I thought it was the power supply, so I decided to pull it out and replace it with one from my older system. Small problem - the new power supply has the standard wide plug and a smaller one that plug into the motherboard, while the one from my older computer does not. I decide to plug in the old PS anyways, and the computer starts up but the monitor wont show anything.

So then I install the PS from the new computer into the old one, and again, it starts up. I decide to move the new PS into the new computer, and leave the one smaller plug unplugged. Again, the new computer starts up. Once I plug in the small plug, it shuts off.

Then I decided to plug in the small plug first, and then the wide one after. It started up and is functioning like normal, but now my new videocard won't work (I am forced to use the integrated one, which i'm doing now to type this to you guys).

Do you guys think its the power supply or the motherboard that is causing these problems? Normally, I would have pointed to the PS, but because my video card wont work i'm left to wonder if its actually the MB or something more serious than a PS.

Any ideas? Sorry for the long rant, its been a long day.

Zero102
03-31-2005, 11:33 PM
It does sound like a power supply problem to me. Is this on a P4 computer? Does the small plug have 2 black, and 2 yellow wires?

Weapon_R
03-31-2005, 11:38 PM
Its an athlon XP 3000 and yes, the small plug has 2 black wires and 2 yellow wires.

Davetronz
03-31-2005, 11:43 PM
Start with PSU, then replace motherboard if necessary.
But to me it sounds like PSU.

BerserkerCatSplat
03-31-2005, 11:50 PM
Sounds like a PS problem. These kinds of things are kind of tough to troubleshoot, but you'll probably have to replace the PS and hope it works. If it doesn't, it may be time to hit Memory Express for a new mobo!

Zero102
04-01-2005, 11:45 AM
I thought the AMD power connector was different than the P4 one? Perhaps I'm wrong.

clapbak
04-01-2005, 02:52 PM
hows the capasators on the motherboard? leaking? puffy? enlarged??? that maybe your problem..

ricosuave
04-01-2005, 07:04 PM
memory express can test the ps for free i think