PDA

View Full Version : army experience towards a career

badMotoFinga
03-31-2005, 11:22 PM
Anyone here know if Army experience would benefit in getting a good corporate career job? Buddy of mine said that his boss at Autodesk loves military experience on a resume and would hire em regardless of GPA and qualifications etc. Also in the last season of the apprentice, it seemed that when they were doing the interviews near the end of the show, the four execs mentioned that Kelly's army experience was a benefit.

Can anyone back this up? I'm talkin bout for Comp Sci jobs specifically but any feedback is fine.

Pacman
04-01-2005, 10:14 AM
I guess that all depends on which industry/corporation you want to work for.

The reason the "Big Corporations" like hiring from the army, is because they run their companies like the army. The basically want a bunch of workers that will follow orders and not think outside the box.

That's how it was when I used to work for Xerox.

AllGoNoShow
04-03-2005, 09:54 PM
I'm with Pacman on that one, they are well trained group of people who work hard and quick and do what they are told. I know my buddy is in the Army and even though he doesn't work at a corp. you can tell he has been in the Army, just by the way he acts and does things, hes straight to the point and gets it done.

sexualbanana
04-04-2005, 01:23 AM
If I were doing the hiring for a company, I would say anyone with military experience would jump to the top of the list.

Like everyone else has said, they do their work and they're straight to the point. There's no bullshit, and you know it's gonna get done.

It comes down to accountability, which is something that is at the core of military training.

marq-jt
04-04-2005, 01:53 AM
try a security job...(armored car driver)

:rofl:

jaysas_63
04-05-2005, 12:45 AM
i don't think its the best time to join the army to improve ur resume

badMotoFinga
04-05-2005, 01:09 AM
well ... maybe just the reserves then :guns:

SteveMo600
04-05-2005, 08:01 PM
I think that taking part in the army is one of the best opportunities and assets to put on a resume. Like they said, those people know how to follow directions as well as give them. The army teaches self determination and many other things that will help you in other future careers. In terms of business, army involvement is extremely beneficial.

SiG Baby
04-05-2005, 08:12 PM
Shows your hard working and disciplined :thumbsup:

AllGoNoShow
04-05-2005, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by jaysas_63
i don't think its the best time to join the army to improve ur resume
Explain your reasoning...