PDA

View Full Version : insurance reform sucks ass

vietdood
04-01-2005, 12:47 AM
i've been shopping around for insurance the last 4 days due to meloche monnex is charging me an extra $1200 totalling to $2800 on my 240sx because they said it's rare and has gone up in value. after calling around to almost 2-3 dozen insurance companies, i've gotten quotes anywhere from $3200-$6000 for full coverage. these quotes are all ALOT higher then quotes i've gotten last year before october. now that i compare the numbers, it seems the insurance reforms caused the insurance companies to raise their premiums for full coverage to compensate for the cheaper insurance rate for PLPD. insurance companies are bastards :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns:

Speed_69
04-01-2005, 12:53 AM
my insurance expires in the middle of april, hopefully my premiums have gone down alittle bit. i've decided to skip the full coverage insurance this year and just get PLPD now. i just find that collision and comprehensive converage is complete bullshit now because my premiums will still have a high chance of raising if they have to pay out of their pockets. so yea insurance companies are bastards!!

Zero102
04-01-2005, 11:38 AM
Keep in mind collision and comprehensive coverage rates have been frozen for like 2 years now......

TurboMedic
04-01-2005, 11:53 AM
My premiums have gone down, and you cannot beat meloche monnex for rates, I've tried! I spent an afternoon phoning around to at least a dozen insurance companies, and as soon as I told them who I was through, they claimed that it was unlikely I would find anyone cheaper.....

thinmyster
04-01-2005, 12:19 PM
i keep insurance all year round.. but just parking ins in the winter that way i stay with my company and rate etc. not collision in the summer either. I pay just over 100 for full coverage except collision for my Mr2 two speeding tickets and im 20? im pretty happy

QuasarCav
04-01-2005, 12:23 PM
1994 Z24 = 122/month PLPD

1993 Integra = 248/month full coverage

Thats not too bad for a 21 year old.

TD forever.

TurboMedic
04-01-2005, 02:23 PM
I pay for both cars and a house (cars are 2002 GTI full coverage incl. glass, and an 89 accord EX-i, pl/pd), and my rate is $150/month, and I'm 24....

EDIT: monnex is TD

abyss
04-01-2005, 03:15 PM
Meloche Monnex quoted me over twice what my rate was now. :thumbsdow

Mr. Burns
04-01-2005, 03:20 PM
I pay $260/ mo for My 03 Jetta GLI, and my house insurance.

This is through Co-operators.

EDIT: I am 24/m with some tickets and 1 at fault accident

QuasarCav
04-01-2005, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by TurboMedic
I pay for both cars and a house (cars are 2002 GTI full coverage incl. glass, and an 89 accord EX-i, pl/pd), and my rate is $150/month, and I'm 24....

EDIT: monnex is TD

:eek:

That is really good. I've had my license for only 2 years and I have one 45km/hr over ticket.

Phy
04-01-2005, 03:51 PM
Not the greatest customer service from Meloche, though. (This is an understatement.)

I'd go back to AXA if I hadn't got rearended a couple months ago. (My at-fault, apparently, because I was backing out, although how I was supposed to see the other guy through a pickup truck I'll never know.)

TurboMedic
04-01-2005, 04:05 PM
Hmm, I've never had any problems with Monnex and service...I've had my car repaired twice through them, no hassles (I had an old lady smoke me in an intersection, and I hit a hideabed that fell off a truck on the highway......), and my premiums stayed rock solid....both were no fault but still....I think I'm under a group rate too though, based on my line of work.....

lint
04-01-2005, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by TurboMedic
Hmm, I've never had any problems with Monnex and service...I've had my car repaired twice through them, no hassles (I had an old lady smoke me in an intersection, and I hit a hideabed that fell off a truck on the highway......), and my premiums stayed rock solid....both were no fault but still....I think I'm under a group rate too though, based on my line of work.....

I'd agree. No problems with Monnex whatsover.

I pay around $130/month for 2 cars. Hard to beat.

Tyler883
04-03-2005, 12:11 AM
I've been with 'The Personal' for 8 years now. My wife is with TD.

The TD is about the only place that will come close to my premiums at The Personal, but they are still about 20-40 dollars per year higher than the personal, so I haven't switch to the TD yet.

The Personal kinda pissed me off last year. Its a bit of a story so if you're interested please read on:

For most of the time that I was with The Personal, my payments were a payroll deduction that my employer was happy to administer for me. However, my current employer hands me a paycheque the last day of the month, now. Sometimes, I don't get it deposited until the afternoon of the 1st or 2nd. My insurance payment - that is now coming out of my bank account - bounced twice in a 6 month period - both cases the insurance company charged me a 20 dollar fee and processed the payment a week later.

Anyway, they sent me a 15 day notice of cancellation, which only gave me about 3 or 4 days from the time that I received the notice. I didnt have time to find another insurance company, yet if I let my insurance lapse it was going to cost me a fortune to re-insure.

Eventually, they allowed me to pay the policy in full with a certified cheque and allowed me to stay on with them. And, I've made new arragements where the payments come out of an account that won't bounce.

You know, I'm ok with anyone that wants to judge me for bouncing a payment. That part, I'm guilty of. And, The Personal has every right to insist that it doesn't happen again.

If only they had called me, we could have resolved this without me being days away from having my insurance cancelled.

I feel that the notice of cancellation was an unessary and hardline tactic to someone that they are still willing to do business with. Even if I deserved it, it still pissed me off.

Xtrema
04-03-2005, 01:50 AM
At first I thought TD/Monnex has the best rates. But once I've added all the options, it's no better than my AMA rate.

Doesn't give me a reason to switch.

The whole point of privatizing a mandatory service is just bad news. It's not like we have an option to not buy insurance. Priavte company has a mandate to make money to please investors. Government just look for balance books. Who do you think can give better rates, just check BC, and Sask.

I also firmly believe that in every accident, unless weather is involved, the party at fault should be charged with criminal offense no matter what. Why should careless/mindless driving be treated with anything different than pointing a gun a bank teller?

More attention = less accidents = less jobs for blood sucking injury lawyers = lower insurance rates.

Tyler883
04-03-2005, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
I also firmly believe that in every accident, unless weather is involved, the party at fault should be charged with criminal offense no matter what.

Gee, if that was true, then whats stopping me from taking my chances with another criminal offense.......hit and run!

elmo909
04-07-2005, 07:04 AM
My premiums before reform: $8,000 a year
My premiums after reform: $1,800

I'm not complaining.

No collision either, both cars are a 1991 FORD TEMPO. I have a clean record.

TurboMedic
04-07-2005, 02:32 PM
Thats fantastic...for you only....I paid through the ass already for the last 9 years I've been driving.....so you're welcome....I never got a break like that, and still haven't.....

shad0w4life
04-11-2005, 09:37 PM
Crazy 23 clean record(unless they don't kill the lame tickets I got)
195 a month Full coverage from Lanes Insurance(they use ING), collision adds on like 1200$ or something crazy

01 Mustang Convert (v6)