PDA

View Full Version : Cheap new car?

iblizzard
04-01-2005, 03:04 AM
I've been tossing around the idea of getting rid of my car and buying brand new. I need something I won't have to worry so much about what might go next. Not that my car is unreliable, but with how much driving I do... and my car being just over 250000kms, things are bound to start wearing down..

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to what I might want to look into. I'm looking for something VERY VERY cheap (but new, so I still get the warranty). I'm not looking to lease, and I'm not too interested in buying used, but if the car is right and I still get a good warranty with it, I might consider it. As for options and specs, I'm not too picky... I'm more interested in price/economy than power/luxury.

It's not guaranteed that I'll be doing this yet, but I just want to look into it as an option... any info is appreciated.

djayz
04-01-2005, 03:21 AM
smart car...you pay more than expected in the beginning but youll get all that back on gas 4.2L for 100km

iblizzard
04-02-2005, 11:48 PM
That's what I've been looking at, but isn't there currently a really large waiting list just to get them in?

Other ones I'm looking into are:
Kia Rio
Hyundai Accent
Toyota Echo Hatchback
Chevrolet Aveo
Pontiac Wave
Toyota Echo Sedan
Mitsubishi Lancer
Hyundai Elantra
Saturn Ion
Chevrolet Optra
Toyota Corolla
Chevrolet Cobalt
Kia Spectra
Dodge Sx2.0
Pontiac Pursuit

You can tell the price range I'm looking at right now... it'd be the base model with few options... floor mats and maybe (depending on how much it is) the power pack.

Xtrema
04-03-2005, 02:16 AM
What's VERY, VERY cheap? Under $10K? $20K?

Sunfire/Caviliers if you can find them are out the door cash $11K bare bones.

Smart, you are looking @ $17K and dealer gouging with high interest and low stock.

My opinion on your list:

The Koreans are nice and have good warranty but I believe they are unsafe in a crash (forgot where I read the crahs report). And by Koreans, I include Aveo, Optra and Wave.

Toyotas are solid buy. Echo hatch is build in Japan and the quality is very well done. Corolla is built in Ontario is also a good choice but either by process or design, doesn't feel as solid.

Ion/Colbalt/Pursuit are basically the same car. Jury is still out on many things but at least the platofrm is solid.

Lancer is ugly and so is Sentra.

Dodge neon isn't a wise investment at all. Interior is all ugly plastics.

lancer04
04-03-2005, 04:35 AM
imo the toyota corolla's a good buy for a decent price , toyota's in general , honda's are nice but they are in same price range as toyota and I think u'll get more bang for your buck with toyota.

I would stay away from hyundai and kia , Korean cars u don't really want to invest in if ur lookin for liability...but pricing they are incredibly cheap though I have heard some bad stuff about them

if u were to get a lancer ( i have one of my own ) i would sugguest the 03 one , the 04 look is hurt , I despertly want to trade mine for a 03 cause of the exterior , mitsubishi just messed it up with the new look , but they are good cars with a nice warranty , i haven't had problems with mine yet.

all in all , I think toyota's are best for the price and vehicle

hope that helps

djayz
04-03-2005, 04:41 AM
well yah smart car is a bit pricey if your looking at cars in that range

i would say the toyota hatchback would be your best bet...my neighbor bought one not too long ago and hes had not a single problem with it and he told me its awesome on gas. Plus its a solid built car as mentioned above. itll also hold its value if you decide to sell it down the road unlike a cavalier or sunfire. But then again the cav and sunfire are sorta like disposables now adays.

1badPT
04-03-2005, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
The Koreans are nice and have good warranty but I believe they are unsafe in a crash (forgot where I read the crahs report). And by Koreans, I include Aveo, Optra and Wave.

what no love for kias or hyundais :D

03 aerio
04-03-2005, 09:17 AM
If you can get over the looks the Suzuki Aerio has more HP(155) and TQ(152) and room than most of your choices on there for under 20k and with 100000km warranty:thumbsup:

statick
04-03-2005, 09:26 AM
IMO go with an echo hatchback, you should be able to get one at around 13 grand-ish. 42 mpg in the city, 60 on the highway. also quite reliable, and comes with a decent warranty.

if u can toss out a tad more money, i would second the suzuki aerio, optional awd:thumbsup:

A790
04-03-2005, 10:21 AM
Ech hatchback. Good looking cars, great options and great mileage!

Fobby
04-03-2005, 11:39 AM
what? no mazda 3?

Stratus_Power
04-03-2005, 12:24 PM
agree, echo hatch

Redlyne_mr2
04-03-2005, 12:55 PM
With all of these cars you have to consider finance rates as well. The interest rate you get can dramatically affect the total price you pay for the car. Look for manufactures that are offering subvented rates such as 0% financing and cash back incentives. In terms of low interest rates and good warranty Kia or Hyunday might be your best bet however I would look at Misubishi. With all of the incentives they are offering plus their awesome warranty you might be able to pick up a nice lancer cheaper than you could get an echo for as Toyota interest rates are always high.

Weapon_R
04-03-2005, 12:58 PM
I just saw the 4 door civic dx sedan for 0 down, $198/month. Its also got incredible gas mileage (5.5L/100 on highway) and its better than any of those cars listed.

Also, the smart is readily availlable. I saw one at the Driving Force a little while ago, 16k out the door. Literally brand spankin new.

Redlyne_mr2
04-03-2005, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
I just saw the 4 door civic dx sedan for 0 down, $198/month. Its also got incredible gas mileage (5.5L/100 on highway) and its better than any of those cars listed.

You never see anyone get that sort of payment unfortunately. That would have to be a lease payment as well for it to be that low and buddy wanted to finance instead of lease. :)

ExtremeSi
04-03-2005, 02:04 PM
My sis bought an Echo hatch half a year ago and it's been great. Not a single problem, and it doesn't feel like a cheap car.
However, like Redlyne_mr2 said, the interest rates are always high. But the resale value on Toyotas is probably the best out of that whole group.

t-im
04-03-2005, 02:16 PM
I gotta say Hyundai has made great strides in the last few years, and are worth a look at

i'm pretty sure they have really great incentives (low interest rates, etc) and still have that really good warranty.

Last time I glanced over Hondas, they had insane finance/lease rates (2 yrs ago) Accords were 7.7%??????...which I think is ridiculous.

Smart car is good, but it depends on the purpose you need it for, and it's kinda pricey. With Smart, I say testdrive it first and see if you like it, because it's certainly different (I personally don't like the way it drives and wasn't expecting it to be like that)

Xtrema
04-03-2005, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by t-im
Last time I glanced over Hondas, they had insane finance/lease rates (2 yrs ago) Accords were 7.7%??????...which I think is ridiculous.

Interest rate dealer charges on a vehicle shows how well the car is selling.

Rates don't go low til it's time to clear them, either overstock or model change.

Also, most 0% financing are deceptive since they keep the price @ MSRP which is usually means you pay an extra $3K for the average $30K car.