PDA

View Full Version : JDM VR-4 Is it worth it?

The Rider
04-01-2005, 05:11 AM
Hi all,

I was looking at importing a JDM 89 Mitsu Galant VR-4 for around $7200 with taxes and everything. From what I can see the car is in really good shape and has been well maintained. It also has a few upgrades like aftermarket suspension and a Recaro seat. Just curious if this is a reasonable price or if I should just be trying to find a vr-4 locally (I believe these were available in the US if not here as well, no?). The car is through http://www.jns-imports.com/ does anyone have any experience dealing with these guys? Are they pretty reputable?

My biggest concern is probably that it was completely re-painted 3 years ago. Is there a way to determine absolutely whether or not this was related to a crash? Thanks for all your help.

Sean

By the way, what do you think of the Galant VR-4 in general?

benyl
04-01-2005, 08:33 AM
The Galant was not available here. Mitsu didn't come to the Canadian market until last year. They did have some rebadged cars under some Chrysler makes though, but the Vr-4 wasn't one of them.

seems expensive for a 15 year old car. But it would be unique. I would check the states to see what they have to offer. Then you don't have to deal with driving on the wrong side of the car.

heavyD
04-01-2005, 08:36 AM
I'm not sure how you can check for accidents but VR4's aren't easy to come by in the U.S. and weren't available in Canada so I don't think you will be able to find one in N.A. The car is basically a four door version of the 1G Talon/Eclipse so it is capable and does come with some options that the Talon/Eclipses didn't get. That price is acceptable because it's a niche car but I'd like to see interior pics.

BlueGoblin
04-01-2005, 09:32 AM
You could try to arrange for an independant mechanical inspection for the car in Japan, but I don't know what sort of success you might have with that.

If you brought it here though, I suspect that most parts - even a new bodyshell if necessary - would be available here for it. The Dodge 2000 GTX sold in Canada was nothing more than a rebadged Galant. It even came in an optional awd, but 135 hp non-turbo, configuration. I would guess that that one will have all the parts that you might need if there was a bodged collision repair that needs tidying up. The US did get the VR-4, so you might be able to get a Vr-4 there and bring it up.

I always really liked the Gallant VR-4 - better than the talons. Fast four-doors appeal to me. you probably will not be alble to get much of a better price on one by bringing it up from the US, or by trying to turbo an awd dodge 2000gtx found here.

GSR Zero
04-01-2005, 10:13 AM
The Galant was rebadged as a Dodge 2000 GTX in the standard and Premium trim. I had one for 5 years and absolutely loved it. If you have a chance to get your hands on a VR-4 go for it. A word of warning though. Even though I loved the car and would buy one again just for the fun of it, my Galant was expensive to maintain. I had an '89 Premium which had the stock adjustable air ride suspension which of course failed and was way too expensive to fix/replace.

Anyways, go for it! But I'm sure if you look into some more VR-4s from the States you'll find a better deal. Let us know if you pick it up. Would love to see it.

Boosted_TL
04-01-2005, 10:27 AM
$7K is an average for that car. Guys want $6K for their 87 Supra Turbos..... The Galant is a very nice car, 4G63T Motor with AWD, is a strong motor, but needs love. Maintain it correctly and dont leave anything unturned. I think you would be very happy with the car. I also think you would have the only VR4 in Calgary which is an added bonus.

On another note, its from Japan and it has been repainted. Could be good, could be bad. A few of the imported cars I would say are shady, with mixed VIN numbers and written off title's.

You will not find one locally, the only thing close is a 1G DSM. You would have a DSM with 4 doors and would be one hell of a sleeper.

I would say its worth looking into. Whats the auction grade ? Get someone here locally who can translate Japanese, request more pictures and that kind of stuff.

As the guy above said, also look into the US, right hand drive is not the greatest.