Make Mercedes-Benz
Model P8
Engine Location Mid
Drive Type Rear Wheel
Price 200000 (EST)

Engine Configuration V
Cylinder 8
Aspiration/Induction Normal
Displacement 6.30 L | 384.4 cu in. | 6300.3 cc.
Power 500.00 BHP
Torque 516.00 Ft-Lbs
HP to Weight Ratio 6.0
HP / Liter 79.4

Gears 7
Transmission Automatic

Weight 3000 lbs | 1360.8 kg
Seating Capacity 2

Mercedes-Benz wants to fight Ferrari and Lamborghini at their own game, with plans to build a mid-engined supercar to take on the 360 Modena and recently launched Gallardo.

Rather than opting for another front-engined, rear-drive supercar -- such as the 460kW SLR -- for the second stage of the duo's road car partnership, Mercedes-Benz and McLaren are seeking to deliver a smaller, lighter, more focused mid-engined model to slot between the $370,000 SL 55 AMG and the $1 million SLR in performance and price.

Known as the P8, the new Benz supercar is officially a concept, which means styling, engineering, logistic, production and cost proposals for the two-seater are under way.

But it is already clear that both Mercedes-Benz and McLaren management are desperate to put it into production. And the word is that as well as a regular coupe, there will also be a convertible.

"Yes, we are looking at a mid-engined road car," Mercedes boss Jurgen Hubbert told US publication AutoWeek. "But there is no decision on production."

The P8's two-seater body is expected to use a mixture of carbon fibre, thermoplastics and aluminium to keep weight down. And its slinky shape is tipped to largely be driven by the wind tunnel, with aerodynamic efficiency high on the agenda to ensure adequate downforce, as well as the need to feed air to vital components.

The P8's engine is believed to be a new 6.3-litre naturally aspirated V8 that will also be used in future AMG models, expected to deliver about 400kW. A 530kW-plus twin-turbocharged version is also in the pipeline. The top speed of the P8 is believed to be more than 320kmh.

The P8 is expected to cost more than the Ferrari 360 and Lamborghini Gallardo with which it will compete, meaning something in the order of $450,000 seems likely.

As well as generous equipment levels, the Benz/McLaren supercar has many safety features, starting with front, side and curtain airbags. Benz's Pre-Safe system, which "prepares" the car for a crash while helping avoid it in the first place, will be included.

The rear-wheel-drive supercar is planned to be built alongside the gullwing-doored SLR at the McLaren Technology Centre in England from late 2007. However, the car is still awaiting approval from Mercedes and McLaren board members.

Even if it gets the go-ahead, there is no word yet on whether the P8 would be built in right-hand drive. Given Benz's move to make the SLR only in left-hand drive, it appears unlikely. So the P8 may be confined to Australian race tracks and motor shows.

http://www.conceptcarz.com

Boosted_TL
04-01-2005, 02:37 PM
Interesting.......

:hitit:

/////AMG
04-01-2005, 03:04 PM
Very old news, still don' tknow if it will happen.

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38327&highlight=Mercedes+Supercar+McLaren

M_Power
04-01-2005, 03:42 PM
damnit, i searched and found nothing
:closed:

Justanotherguy
05-14-2005, 09:06 AM
As a 2003 SLR owner I would have to say it is a bad idea. Although I would trade my 2004 XLR caddy for it.:english: :english:

Neil4Speed
05-14-2005, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by M_Power
[IMG]Rather than opting for another front-engined, rear-drive supercar -- such as the 460kW SLR -- for the second stage of the duo's road car partnership, Mercedes-Benz and McLaren are seeking to deliver a smaller, lighter, more focused mid-engined model to slot between the $370,000 SL 55 AMG and the $1 million SLR in performance and price.[/url]

$370,000 SL55? I don't think so, I know that the SL65 is around 269k, I think SL55's are in the mid-hundreds.