PDA

View Full Version : Schumacher to retire the end of this season

iceburns288
04-01-2005, 06:12 PM
:cry: :cry:

Ferrari boss Jean Todt may have a sleepless night tonight, given the announcement this evening that Michael Schumacher will be retiring from Formula 1 racing immediately after an unprecedented seven World Drivers Championships and over eighty wins, by far the most in the history of the sport.

"We knew this day was going to come eventually, and I am happy for Michael. His relationship with Ferrari has been very successful, and he will always remain a part of the Ferrari family," said Todt.

Schumacher was unavailable for immediate comment but the rumor of his impending retirement ran rapidly through the paddock, this weekend racing in Bahrain. Team Scuderia Ferrari has had a rocky start to the season, with both drivers, Schumacher and teammate Brazilian Rubens Barrichello suffering setbacks in the early races of 2005.

Finally, after a crowd of media gathered around Ferrari's garage area, and a visibly shaken Ferrari Technical Director Ross Brawn addressed the crowd first, "Look guys, I won't lie to you...I'm scared......Michael is probably the best driver we have...I don't know what to do...somebody hold me."

None other than Michael Schumacher himself comforted Brawn, even offering one last jump into Brawn's arms, as has been witnessed a few times on the podium of Schumacher's victories. After a long embrace and handing Brawn an officially licenced Scuderia Ferrari handkerchief, Schumacher finally spoke to a silent throng of reporters.

"I would like to thank all of members of Ferrari for all of their hard work since I joined the team nearly ten years ago. Driving for Ferrari has been a privilege and honor. That I could bring the Constructor's Title back to Italy and Ferrari makes me happy for all of the fans of the team. I have carefully considered my options, and have decided that retirement is the best course for my life at this time, winning all the time has become a little bit mundane," but Schumacher then continued...

"Over the years I have numerous rivals and challengers for the title. Mika Hakkinen was the only one who really challenged me, but at the time our car wasn't very good. Hill and Jacque may have also won championships, but the Williams was so much better at that time even a driver of my immense talent couldn't make up the difference. The drivers today don't scare me at all, I've beat them while in the throes of grief, when I was sick and feverish, and even when my car was missing half of its gears. No big deal.

When asked what Michael planned to do after retirement, he added, "After a month long holiday I will begin my new position as the head of product development at Lamborghini SPA". With that Schumacher excused himself from the impromptu press conference and disappeared back into the garage area.

A bad day for the tifosi!:cry: :cry:

civic_stylez
04-01-2005, 06:22 PM
that sucks...regardless of how many people want him to loose and retire, he is still the best driver ever...i wonder who will get the other seat at ferrari next year????

RiCE-DaDDy
04-01-2005, 06:35 PM
finally

actually whatever, Barrichello is probably gonna win then

doublepostwhore
04-01-2005, 06:36 PM
Am I the only person who thought some of his statements in that press conference sounded awfully arrogant? I mean I realise he is the best; however just because you are the best at what you do, it doesnt give you the right to bash others.

GL to him in the future, I hope he leads a long and productive life - Outside the races.

Shaolin
04-01-2005, 06:47 PM
Arrogant is right, but he can back it up.. although I wouldn't give him all the credit for putting out the good results, Ferrari had a lot to do with it.

Z_Fan
04-01-2005, 07:29 PM
LOL

Let me think here. Villeneuve won when he had the best car. Hmmm. And no talent whatsoever...right...

And clearly, for the last several seasons of Ferrari domination, they had the worst car but only won because Michael is so damn good.

ROFLMAO

If Schumacher had swapped positions with Jacques - then it would have been Jacques who had many world championships.

Now that the Ferrari is NOT the best car, he's not winning. Big surprise. Michael is an arrogant fool to think that the car he was driving didn't play a HUGE role in his success. In fact, a key role probably even more important than his driving talent.

The Ferrari was so much better than other cars, I'm a big believer that a driver not quite as perfect as Michael still could have won F1 races with it.

Mika Hakkinen only challenged Michael after the car he was driving got "good enough" to hang with the Ferrari.

*WHATEVER* :bullshit: Michael wants to spew...let him. But we all know there are several extremely talented drivers. They are all so very good, very closely matched, that we can devise that winning races (at F1 level) is largely due to the quality of the car. In fact, more car than driver.

habsfan
04-01-2005, 08:16 PM
glad to see him go personally. i've never been much of a schumacher fan, too arrogant and his little press conference just backs my sentiments up. sure its a shame to lose a driver as skilled as him, but i must say good riddance to him.

edit: im thinkin i might have to call BS april fools on this one. been searching for sources to verify this and i havent found anything.

crazydriver
04-01-2005, 10:29 PM
hmm if this is true them F1 has just lost a fan and i'll considering buying a lambo more.. now only if i has a suitcase of $350,000

Team_Mclaren
04-01-2005, 10:31 PM
IT IS April Fool guys, f1live, f1, ITV etc has noth on this what so ever!

Even tho I hatethat he keeps on winning the races (not anymore) , but if you truely know the guy and pay attention at him on/off the track, he's not an Arrogant fucker. (WTF is happening, im actually defending him... :rofl:)

iceburns288
04-01-2005, 10:50 PM
Yeah, I read the article and I found 'Schumi's remarks' funny. He's a really nice guy off the track.

EDIT: BTW it's actually an 'article' too.:D ;)

ryder_23
04-02-2005, 03:47 AM
"Look guys, I won't lie to you...I'm scared......Michael is probably the best driver we have...I don't know what to do...somebody hold me.

find it hard to believe the technical director of ferrari would sa y this..

And what z fan said...ferrari did HAVE the best car and was winning...not saying michael is a bad driver by any means, however like also pointed out, having the "best" drivers in the world, only way to get an advantage is with the cars.

iceburns288
04-02-2005, 09:52 AM
I'm still amazed that Schumi got podium in the Benetton when he only had 5th gear that one race. It's really incredible.:eek:

I think he is no doubt one of the best drivers in the history of F1, but not the best. He's had weak competition the past few years in an increasingly dominating car.:dunno:

Maybe the best::drool:
http://www.iprimus.ca/~trauttf/Gilles/Gil_Vill.jpg

Redlyne_mr2
04-02-2005, 10:08 AM
One of Shumacher f2004 went up for auction not too long ago at Sotheby's. Imagine buying that car.

iceburns288
04-02-2005, 10:18 AM
These are all customer cars from Corse Clienti (the pic was taken at Mugello at the Ferrari Historics and Ferrari World Challenge):drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/iceburns288/38_esibizione_f1.jpg

BigMass
04-02-2005, 11:00 AM
When asked what Michael planned to do after retirement, he added, "After a month long holiday I will begin my new position as the head of product development at Lamborghini SPA".

Lol i cant believe anyone would fall for this after reading that bit

nismodrifter
04-02-2005, 02:49 PM
I didn't even bother posting a reply because its so obvious....none of you actually read the article did you ahah, schumacher going to lambo....umm yeah right.

rmk
04-02-2005, 05:27 PM
april fools guys! :D