PDA

View Full Version : Split: 5sfe turbo conversion

thinmyster
03-31-2005, 04:31 PM
would it be worth doing something like this to my NA? or just going with the swap? what else would i be looking at considering i would probably have to rebuild. but interms of my internals?

Ek9Max
03-31-2005, 04:36 PM
lots of guys turbo the 5S.

Just need the manifold (which I happend to have an extra one) and DP (wow, look at that I have an extra one of those too) and a few other things E.G coolant lines, oil lines Intercooler (yes yes, I have one of these lying around too)

Some guys even take YOUR block, mate it with teh 3sgte head and create a Frankenstein 2.2 turbo.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Ek9Max
03-31-2005, 04:40 PM
Did a bit of research. I have pretty much everythign you need. I even have 440 cc injectors for you.

As long as you dont' push over 15psi you should be fine. but that will be HUGE power gain on your 2.2 L 5s

jvillain
04-01-2005, 12:37 AM
The JDM Ceramic CT-26 is also known ( though incorrectly ) as the CT-20b. I paid $700USD for mine and it had 20,000 kms on it. This is one hell of a good deal. Compared to the USDM turbo this thing rocks hard. Mine holds boost to redline at @17psi no problem.

If you still have the stocker you would be crazy not to get this. It is as easy as turbo swaps get on these cars.

thinmyster
04-01-2005, 09:15 AM
yeah i pmed you with some more details get back to meh and we'll go from there. Ive been doing some research of my own so.. but it looks kinda complicated ill post questions in a bit but get back to me on all the specs of the turbo. How come you have so many extra parts?
anyways... Jvillian what setup do you currently have?..
would i have to do major upgrades to my clutch and tranny right away aswell?

jvillain
04-01-2005, 10:18 AM
I am running a CT-20b right now, and will be until next year. This thing spools like crazy. On a stock turbo model all you have to do is swap the turbo. Then if you want add a boost controler.

Adding a turbo to a n/a would be a lot more work but worth it if you can do it. I know there is a howto out there. I would search for it over on mr2oc and see if you can find it.

thinmyster
04-01-2005, 11:27 AM
yah i found this page link to mr2oc.com pretty good info do you guys have anything to add at all?

http://warp.scl.utah.edu/mr2/turbo5sfe.html

but do you have a 5s or 3s in your car?

stealth
04-01-2005, 03:49 PM
thinmyster you have a NA?

Honestly i feel turboing the 5s is not worth it. Thats what i thought about doing to mine, but it would be a waste of money if all you want to make is 200RWHP.

Instead i opted for the JDM Swap, it came out way more than i planned. If you do a swap, plan for AT LEAST double the price of the engine.

If you have any questions ask me.

Sam

thinmyster
04-01-2005, 03:56 PM
mmm any help i can get to make a decision would be great thanks sam keep the comments coming
Jon

stealth
04-01-2005, 04:09 PM
The parts that Max here is a very good deal.

But I would think future wise.

The 5sfe, will have more horsepower compared to a STOCK Turbo MR2 at stock boost.

With the 5sfe, you will need to rebuild your internals if you want more horsepower, to increase the boost.

For the 5sfe turbo, you will need one custom made intercooler piping, because the throttle body inlet is on the side, oppose to the front like on the 3sgte.

The 3sgte is a very solid engine.

If you only want about 200 RWHP go 5sfte.

If you want reliabilty and more power potential go 3sgte.

Sam

thinmyster
04-01-2005, 04:51 PM
200RWP sounds good to me right now and cause im in school might be the logical thing to do unless i get more problems out of my engine after install.. (but what type of problems will most likely arise?)
what if any test on my engine should i run before this?

EK9max pm me back!!!

and thanks for all the help sam we'll have to hook up so i can buy you a beer when this is all finished haha

stealth
04-01-2005, 05:34 PM
hahah still underage here 17 :)

For checks i would do a compression and leakdown test, to make sure your engine is in tip top shape.

thinmyster
04-01-2005, 06:13 PM
damn haha my bad anyway i have to hear back from ek9max.. I thought you were older consider you've already done a swap.. what exactly did you do to your 5s to get 200hp?

Ek9Max
04-01-2005, 10:44 PM
stealth did a engien swap he got a 3sgte.

thinmyster
04-02-2005, 01:33 PM
so after completion how much hp/whp would i be looking at and what would or could I top Out at? so far ive only got a turbo exhaust, hotshot headers and a cold air/ram air intake?
thanks
Jon

stealth
04-02-2005, 02:10 PM
If you build up the 5sfe, it will be alot more, but the power you will gain will be great. I dont think anyone has done that on the mr2oc.com

with the jdm swap, you will have 225hp/224ft not at the wheels of course.

with the 3sgte, you can easily get into the mid 13's with not many engine mods, you can break into the 12's without doing any internal work.

with the 5sfe, you will be lucky to break into the 14's.

with my old 5sfe i ran a best of 16.9 stock:rolleyes:

with the 3sgte this year im looking for atleast a 13.8-13.9

thinmyster
04-02-2005, 02:12 PM
building it up would require??? and how much $$$$
but just bolt on what range would i be looking at

thinmyster
04-02-2005, 02:14 PM
how much would install be of all this and is there anyone offering to help :clap: :clap:

stealth
04-02-2005, 06:42 PM
Im not sure how much building it up would cost, but im sure its way more than a JDM Swap.

As for install is easy, for the most part. Its just motor mounts, and cross member. If you were in Edmonton I would lend you a hand.

Do you have a specific price range?

davidI
04-02-2005, 06:57 PM
A few people have already sort of got at this but a 3S-GTE swap will be cheaper and more reliable in the long run. Many guys on celica.net have tried turboing the 5S-FE, some with success but most agree it has been an unreliable PITA.

thinmyster
04-02-2005, 07:45 PM
hey max could you post the kit that you are offering so that people know what im sorta getting into? hopefully i get ahold of you tonight to ask you more questions but ... I hate to ask but Could anyone help with an install to make it come to life?

Im just a little unsure ill have an answer by Sunday forsure thou
thanks
Jon

ND4SPD_HS
04-02-2005, 11:54 PM
Jon,

Let me know about the success of this project. You got nice front bumper there :eek:

Help Jon out...he's a nice guy. hope you can come up here soon during one of our meets. :thumbsup:

Would it be nice to have an Alberta MR2 meet sometime in summer? Of course, it must be in between Emdonton & Calgary :D

jvillain
04-03-2005, 03:57 PM
I have a solution for you. The Calgary sports car club runs most of their solo2 events in Red Deer at the Westerner grounds. We have clubs come out to play all the time. Pick an event, every one can come out and run or just show up to watch. You might like it.

BTW the Solo 2 Novice school is comming up soon. It is the cheapest, safest type of racing you can do. More info here.

http://cscc.speedracer.ca/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2104

thinmyster
04-03-2005, 05:47 PM
hey max pm me when your able to talk cause i wanna discuss the parts you have