PDA

View Full Version : WTB: SW20 Turbo

XylathaneGTR
04-03-2005, 04:14 AM
Well, after a few years it's finally time for me to get me some wheels. I'll cut to the chase.
I've been casually looking for an SW for sometime now, but there's not really much around...so, i hate to do it, but i had to make a WTB thread.
Basically, im looking for something along these lines:
-Must be a North American car, sorry, no JDM's please.
-5 Speed manual is a must.
-Must be a factory turbo...No Conversions or turbo'd 5sfe's please.
-Preferably a 1993, but 1991/92 Models will definitly be considered.
-I'd prefer a local car (ie: Alberta.) but again, out of province cars will be considered.
-Less than 160,000kms would be preferential, although above that, can still be considered.
-I'm looking for a car that is stock (although it seems unlikely), but i'd definitly consider modified cars.
-Rust Free / body damage / abuse free would be great...since it's a 12+ yr old car, im not expecting garage queen ferrariesque condition, but the cleaner it is, the better.
-I don't care about color. Im just looking to get into an MR2, color is a low priority.

That's about it...I've been looking around and havn't really found anything that works, so like i said, im making a call out here. Im willing to pay a finders fee if somebody sets me up with the winning candidate in my search.
Cash is pretty much ready to go as well.
Please, if there's anyone interested in selling, post what you have.
Thanks.

XylathaneGTR
04-03-2005, 06:47 PM
bumpity bumpity

XylathaneGTR
04-04-2005, 05:29 PM
pms replied.
up to the top

finboy
04-04-2005, 05:35 PM
thought about importing one? :dunno:

XylathaneGTR
04-05-2005, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by finboy
thought about importing one? :dunno:
I don't want a Jspec car. I have a bunch of reasons why, but i'd just prefer to stick with an NAspec car...
As for US...i've tried to look into it but had little success...although that would be something i'd like to consider as well...but whatever.

XylathaneGTR
04-18-2005, 02:29 PM
Unfortunatly, my hunt continues.
Please, someone help me out here.

BumpinTalon
04-18-2005, 03:44 PM
you really, really, really, really, really, really should import the MR-2. it will cost 1/3rd as much as a domestic one, will have many less kms, and probably already come with some solid starting mods.
there is no reason to not get a JDM version... motors are basically equivalent, the only difference is the steering, and it would not be that hard to swap to a LHD if it really is that big of a deal.
a domestic MR-2 turbo would be $14k plus. you can get an awesome JDM one with tons of mods and half the km for that same amount of money. or just get a stock or lightly modded JDM one for $6k. the extra $8k is pretty hard to justify... that is a LOT of money.

XylathaneGTR
04-18-2005, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by BumpinTalon
you really, really, really, really, really, really should import the MR-2. it will cost 1/3rd as much as a domestic one, will have many less kms, and probably already come with some solid starting mods.
there is no reason to not get a JDM version... motors are basically equivalent, the only difference is the steering, and it would not be that hard to swap to a LHD if it really is that big of a deal.
a domestic MR-2 turbo would be $14k plus. you can get an awesome JDM one with tons of mods and half the km for that same amount of money. or just get a stock or lightly modded JDM one for $6k. the extra $8k is pretty hard to justify... that is a LOT of money.

I've looked into importing one. I've even talked with IC about importing a vehicle a while back. Thing is, i have no idea the history of the vehicle. I remember browsing the 240sx/Silvia thread, and one guy (can't remember who right now) pulled his engine out, and the blades on the compressor wheel of his turbo were fucked. badly. I don't want to buy a car that has no history, and potential problems like that.
Secondly, looking later on a few years, i'd like to sell that car and get something newer, once im out of university (5-6 yrs for what i'm currently aiming for) and working a real job. I think i'll be having a good amount of trouble selling the RHD model to anyone, besides a hardcore MR2 enthusiast.
I guess im a little anal about the whole thing, but i'd still prefer a Domestic model over a JDM one. I'd only consider JDM as a last resort, and by then, i'd probably give up finding a domestic MR2 and just look for something else.
Anyways, search continues. If anyone here knows anything, that'd be great.
-Darren

thinmyster
04-19-2005, 08:54 AM
did you consider the one that was for sale on the boards white 91 with the trunk mount intercooler? The one max was selling?

XylathaneGTR
04-20-2005, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by thinmyster
did you consider the one that was for sale on the boards white 91 with the trunk mount intercooler? The one max was selling?
Yup, talked to him about it, asked 3 times to see the car in person, and Max said he just "gave up on it, since no one wanted to invest the amount of time/work/money to make that car nice agian (interior, new paint, etc) and he didn't want to go through the trouble with me of having me inspect it, etc."
So, my search continues.
Cash is pretty much ready to go, finders fee if someone finds me the winning candidate.

thinmyster
04-20-2005, 10:34 PM
wow is that all it needed? you can easy swap and interior in there and most of the cars our gen need new paint jobs anyways?

XylathaneGTR
04-21-2005, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by thinmyster
wow is that all it needed? you can easy swap and interior in there and most of the cars our gen need new paint jobs anyways?
Well, he was telling me the engine setup was good to go, as with trans. There was a small bit of rust, alignment was out, rear tires bald, shitbagged interior, new paint needed, and a couple other small things.
I would've liked to see it, but i guess Max just wasn't havn' it.
PMs replied, back to the top *sigh*

XylathaneGTR
04-22-2005, 06:46 PM
back up, again.

XylathaneGTR
04-23-2005, 07:44 PM
There has to be something...
back up top.

XylathaneGTR
04-26-2005, 04:15 PM
a bumpity bumpity bump.

Bigchuckers
04-26-2005, 06:37 PM
I got a buddy with a turbo MR2 he imported from Japan and I believe he just got a bigger turbo. The car has a bit under 100,000kms, Ill ask him about it.

XylathaneGTR
04-27-2005, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Bigchuckers
I got a buddy with a turbo MR2 he imported from Japan and I believe he just got a bigger turbo. The car has a bit under 100,000kms, Ill ask him about it.
I'd prefer to get a domestic car. but thanks anyways.

ND4SPD_HS
04-27-2005, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by XylathaneGTR
Im willing to pay a finders fee if somebody sets me up with the winning candidate in my search.

Thanks.

Have you seen this? :thumbsup:
http://forums.780tuners.com/showthread.php?threadid=26056

Hope I got a finders fee :angel:

XylathaneGTR
05-05-2005, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by ND4SPD_HS

Have you seen this? :thumbsup:
http://forums.780tuners.com/showthread.php?threadid=26056

Hope I got a finders fee :angel:

Yup. I've talked to them already as well. Girl named Christa is selling it, as they're moving away.
I asked to come take a look at it as i'll be in edmonton for a short amount of time, and they havn't called me back, responded to any emails/pm's.

Anyways, my search continues, again.
The last MR i just looked at doesn't seem to be working out.
This is harder than i thought.

XylathaneGTR
05-05-2005, 11:35 PM
Hmmm, i need a car, soon.
Money is ready to go.
There has to be something...
Any help on a good clean car would be good.
-Darren

Lo)2enz0
05-05-2005, 11:56 PM
glad to hear you have your heart set on a sw20 darren. But its been a month since you started this thread, personally talk to christian at import concern, all of my friends who have dealt with him have had great experience's and the car's come in awsome condition.

As for the comment about tanner's s13 that has the blades bent, I have been in his car and its still one of the smoothest running ca18's that I have been in, better than mine in some cases. But as long as you buy through the auctions or broker stock you will know what your getting. One of the guys from edmonton imported this insane rx-7 and he thought it would just be a pile of crap and the sad thing is, its faster than a GT-R. Why don't you talk to that guy who bought that sw20 from IC (the white one with the crazy spoiler and lip kit) that goes to your school? Sounds like his is in great condition

XylathaneGTR
05-06-2005, 03:39 PM
I havn't seen an SW20 at our school yet, Laurier...I wasn't aware that someone bought one.
I've been looking before i started this thread, and havn't found anything.
I did talk to import concern quite a while ago about importing a 180, but nothing ever really happened out of that...
One of the reasons i'd prefer a domestic car over a Jspec car is value, and resale ability. Currently, i probably won't be keeping the car for a long long time, use it as a fun university car, and when a real job comes along, upgrade. I doubt any dealerships (respectable ones, at least.) would take a JSpec car as a trade in, and a JSpec car probably wouldn't hold much value with someone besides a tuner looking for that exact, specific car.
Where as the domestic models seem much higher in value.

thinmyster
05-08-2005, 02:41 AM
does it have to be turbo aswell?

XylathaneGTR
05-09-2005, 03:17 PM
I'd prefer if it was a turbo, although right now im looking at anything.
Bump.

Weapon_R
05-09-2005, 03:29 PM
Don't bother with an imported one. Fad-mobiles will wear off in a year or so and their prices will come crashing down.

If you haven't already, check this guy out. It's overpriced, but you should be able to get him down. It does have some mods, but it looks clean enough to consider. Your original criteria is way too stringent.

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=85183

XylathaneGTR
05-09-2005, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Don't bother with an imported one. Fad-mobiles will wear off in a year or so and their prices will come crashing down.

If you haven't already, check this guy out. It's overpriced, but you should be able to get him down. It does have some mods, but it looks clean enough to consider. Your original criteria is way too stringent.

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=85183
I've checked that car out already, and saw it in person last week and took it for a test drive...It's a dream. Great guy too, even came by my house to let me see the car.
Unfortunatly, it won't do, for reasons i won't disclose. If it weren't for that 1 thing, this car would be on my driveway already and this thread would be closed.
my search continues.

xcelr8
05-10-2005, 12:24 AM
http://www.canadatrader.com/result/result.aspx?searchtype=adv&kw=&dp=&age=&kfr=1&kto=2000000&category=4000&mk=TOYOTA&md=MR2&yfr=1984&yto=2005&pfr=0&pto=9999999&postal=&distance=&city=&pro=AB&dm=1&type=province

there is two mr2s there
ones a 93 and the other a 91
although it isnt in calgary... but still in AB

XylathaneGTR
05-10-2005, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by xcelr8
http://www.canadatrader.com/result/result.aspx?searchtype=adv&kw=&dp=&age=&kfr=1&kto=2000000&category=4000&mk=TOYOTA&md=MR2&yfr=1984&yto=2005&pfr=0&pto=9999999&postal=&distance=&city=&pro=AB&dm=1&type=province

there is two mr2s there
ones a 93 and the other a 91
although it isnt in calgary... but still in AB
Yeah, those two (yellow, blue) Have been there for a while now.
I have no idea where the hell beaumont is though, i tried looking it up, and nothing.
Just for straight practicality reasons, i'd prefer to find a local car, (student, hard to find time to road trip elsewhere for a couple days to see/inspect out of town cars.)
But yeah, might have to consider going after one of these two,

I never thought finding the right car would be this hard.

LastLude2K1SE
05-10-2005, 09:14 AM
Beaumont is only about 10 mins south of Edmonton, kinda like Airdrie is to Calgary.

There is also a Mint Red 1992 for sale in edmonton but it's 21000obo.

"Excellent condition. NEVER winter driven. Only 110,000 kms. RED, T-Top, Tom's Replica Kit, Intake, Wheels/Tires, Sports Suspension, 5-spd, Leather Int, Power Locks/Windows/Mirrors, Alarm, call for more details. Asking $21,000 o.b.o. Serious inquiries only please =) Ph 780) 906-5676.

http://members.shaw.ca/elenang/MyMR2/ "

Forcefed
05-10-2005, 09:33 AM
:drool: Nice Car ^^^

jaylo
05-10-2005, 12:18 PM

I've checked that car out already, and saw it in person last week and took it for a test drive...It's a dream. Great guy too, even came by my house to let me see the car.
Unfortunatly, it won't do, for reasons i won't disclose. If it weren't for that 1 thing, this car would be on my driveway already and this thread would be closed.
my search continues.

what was wrong w/ it?

XylathaneGTR
05-10-2005, 01:48 PM
If you'd like to know, PM. I won't say it publically because it's none of my business anymore.

XylathaneGTR
05-10-2005, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by LastLude2K1SE
Beaumont is only about 10 mins south of Edmonton, kinda like Airdrie is to Calgary.

"Excellent condition. NEVER winter driven. Only 110,000 kms. RED, T-Top, Tom's Replica Kit, Intake, Wheels/Tires, Sports Suspension, 5-spd, Leather Int, Power Locks/Windows/Mirrors, Alarm, call for more details. Asking $21,000 o.b.o. Serious inquiries only please =) Ph 780) 906-5676.

Wow, beautiful car, Although 21 is a little more than i'm able to spend right now.
I've never seen any roadsigns for beaumont, i was just in edmonton this past weekend too.

jaylo
05-10-2005, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by LastLude2K1SE

Very nice car, but I doubt that someone would actually pay 21,000 for the car. How did u find this car?

XylathaneGTR
05-12-2005, 11:37 PM
back up top

XylathaneGTR
05-24-2005, 06:54 PM
bizzzzzump.

xcelr8
05-25-2005, 09:50 PM
1991 TOYOTA MR2 TURBO, red with black leather INT. 7 speaker AM/FM, CD, cassette, pw, pdl, AC, T-top, 5 speed manual, 2 dr, 2 seat, 90,000 KM. $15500. obo. Calgary. Tel: 403-238-5428

found from buysell

XylathaneGTR
05-26-2005, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by xcelr8
1991 TOYOTA MR2 TURBO, red with black leather INT. 7 speaker AM/FM, CD, cassette, pw, pdl, AC, T-top, 5 speed manual, 2 dr, 2 seat, 90,000 KM. $15500. obo. Calgary. Tel: 403-238-5428

found from buysell
Buysell.com?
Hmmm....think i'll have to check up on that.
Thanks!
-DirtyD

Redlyne_mr2
05-26-2005, 04:59 PM
Theres a 91 turbo for sale in Nova Scotia, 35K original kms, $13K. I would buy a ticket down there, check out the car and ship it or drive it back. Killer car for a killer price.

d-UNiT
05-26-2005, 05:18 PM
if i see any come through in the finder ill let ya know

XylathaneGTR
05-27-2005, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Theres a 91 turbo for sale in Nova Scotia, 35K original kms, $13K. I would buy a ticket down there, check out the car and ship it or drive it back. Killer car for a killer price.
I'm unable to take a trip out anywhere right now due to school and work.
Do you think i could send a broker after it?

Redlyne_mr2
05-28-2005, 12:15 PM

I'm unable to take a trip out anywhere right now due to school and work.
Do you think i could send a broker after it?
Yeah im sure you could, I know my buddy found a 944 turbo s in NB for a really good price.The broker, got the car here, took his cut as well, all for the asking price of the car.

ND4SPD_HS
05-28-2005, 05:26 PM

I talked to the guy....chassis has 215,000 kms. with 35,000 kms of swap 2nd gen 3SGTE engine.

$13,000 CDN for a low mileage MR2 turbo seems to be to good to be true. If it has the original "untouched" engine. I would jump on it :D

Cheapest I can find here in alberta is that $21,000 with 110,000 kms. mins condition. :banghead:

xcelr8
05-31-2005, 10:33 AM
91 Toyota MR 2 Turbo, 5spd, new $3000 paint job, from dealer ship, white, no mods, 150,000kms, exc condition, $12,500 obo Tel: 403-703-8861

XylathaneGTR
05-31-2005, 05:33 PM
Talked with Owner on sunday about that red one from buysell, it's sold. my search continues.
Guess i could give that white one a call.

XylathaneGTR
06-02-2005, 12:16 AM
:love: bump

XylathaneGTR
06-04-2005, 03:36 PM
Still looking.
Never thought this would take this long.

Primer_Drift
06-04-2005, 04:14 PM

My sister currently lives in halifax, corrosion is a HUGE problem out there.. regardless of how many K on the car it would have to be meticulously cared for to avoid serious rust issues.

Not local but you could send a broker to look also, looks pretty mint. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4553109142&category=15289

XylathaneGTR
06-04-2005, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Primer_Drift

My sister currently lives in halifax, corrosion is a HUGE problem out there.. regardless of how many K on the car it would have to be meticulously cared for to avoid serious rust issues.

Not local but you could send a broker to look also, looks pretty mint. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4553109142&category=15289

Wow, that one does look clean. I think i might have to give broker a call about that.
Thanks for all the help everyones put into this thread.
Who knew buying a fucking car is this hard?