PDA

View Full Version : Electing a new pope

Melinda
04-04-2005, 11:04 AM
I know there is a pope thread already, but this question is a little different than the topics currently being discussed there.

So after the 9 days of mourning are over for John Paul II, they head into the chapel and in a sense "elect" a new pope.

What I don't understand is, this man is pretty much recognized as the "living catholic figure of God" What will eventually make this man closer to God than any of the other men under consideration for the position of being pope?

They were discussing the election process on CNN today and they actually compared it to the election of a new president. In a sense, it really is kind of like that, although they hope to have everyone agree, not just a majority thing. However, if the process goes longer than 12 days then they really will go with a majority rules, which is idential to a country electing a new leader, which (although they are a figure of power with major decision making authority) isn't anything out of the ordinary or Godly by any means.

So what makes the pope so much more special and closer to God than all the rest of the cardinals, arch bishops and others who are up for the position as the new pope, especially when just 12 days before, he was exactly like everyone else under consideration?

EDIT: Please keep in mind that this question is in no way meant to be disrespectful, just a genuine curiosity. I am not a religious person, but I do have a huge amount of respect for religions all over the world, catholism included.

BerserkerCatSplat
04-04-2005, 11:29 AM
I have to assume that while he's not really considered all that much closer to God, he has to represent the whole Catholic church. Thus, they have to choose someone who has no skeletons in his closet, and is beyond reprehension. Politicians can get away with youthful misdemeanors, but a Pope's record muct be spotless. Therein, if you feel that a person with fewer sins is "closer" to God, then the Pope is supposed to be pretty much as close to God as it gets.

sputnik
04-04-2005, 11:31 AM
He isnt considered anything more than a man. He is not believed to have any special powers or gifts from God. He is just a man chosen to be the leader and figurehead of the Catholic church.

bigboom
04-04-2005, 01:16 PM
its all based on how he gets along with all the other figures. if he has the best relationship and is the most respected then he will become pope, not because he is considered a greater religious power or anything...

ninjak84
04-04-2005, 06:12 PM
Yeah, he gets chosen based on his "street-cred" as a Catholic.
I heard the next Pope's got a Bentley on 22's. Way cooler than the Pope-Mobile.

:rofl:

Godfuader
04-04-2005, 08:00 PM
Hate to sound ignorant but I think its absurd to 'elect' someone for a religious position. Should there not be a succession procedure and not a democratic outcome. how are you supposed to feel if you dont get the top position...not as close to god? :dunno: there should be some sort of hierarchy and the next inline should be evident like kingdoms.

2) why are flags in calgary and elsewhere at half mast. Yes he was a man of stature, but only to a certain sect. The rest of the religous leaders do not get recognition. In the US there is a seperation of god and state and they have half-mast as well. I understand the respect aspect, but lowering a flag should apply to something universal like the death of a president, head of state or authority to your domestic land. *end of rant

DEREK57
04-04-2005, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Godfuader
Hate to sound ignorant but I think its absurd to 'elect' someone for a religious position. Should there not be a succession procedure and not a democratic outcome. how are you supposed to feel if you dont get the top position...not as close to god? :dunno: there should be some sort of hierarchy and the next inline should be evident like kingdoms.

2) why are flags in calgary and elsewhere at half mast. Yes he was a man of stature, but only to a certain sect. The rest of the religous leaders do not get recognition. In the US there is a seperation of god and state and they have half-mast as well. I understand the respect aspect, but lowering a flag should apply to something universal like the death of a president, head of state or authority to your domestic land. *end of rant

I agree in a way. Although you have to remember how much of a social difference this Pope made. He brought religions together, he even helped fight communsim. Although Im not the biggest pope-fan, he was a huge social power, and also was the religious leader of about a billion or so people in the world, so I think that warrants flags at half-mast.

OT- Has anyone noticed how often the flags are at halfmast now. It seems as if its over half the time...:dunno:

Seanith
04-04-2005, 08:34 PM

2) why are flags in calgary and elsewhere at half mast. Yes he was a man of stature, but only to a certain sect. The rest of the religous leaders do not get recognition. In the US there is a seperation of god and state and they have half-mast as well. *end of rant

This country was founded on the principles of a certain religion. I suggest you get used to it.

Godfuader
04-04-2005, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Seanith

This country was founded on the principles of a certain religion. I suggest you get used to it.

did not know that. would it be the same for the US

Tyler883
04-04-2005, 09:39 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

frostyda9
04-04-2005, 09:47 PM
I understand the respect aspect, but lowering a flag should apply to something universal like the death of a president, head of state or authority to your domestic land. *end of rant

Think about that... how much more universal does it get than an international organization with over a billion members? The pope also gained recognition for his humanitarian efforts, something appreciated by many people outside the Catholic following. He was a lot more than just the leader of the church. That is why regardless of creed or colour, no person should be offended to pay tribute to his life with a gesture of respect.

Tyler883
04-04-2005, 10:10 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

sputnik
04-05-2005, 07:15 AM

1) The popes are never considered "closer to God". They are only men picked to lead the vision for the future of the Catholic church. There is nothing mystical about the postition. Its no different than a church voting to hire a pastor, this is just on a larger scale. If the popes were picked in a hierarchical system like royalty there would need to be a royal (or holy) family that the next pope would come from. This would be completely ridiculous because then there would never be any effective leadership and the pope would be nothing more than a figurehead that said nothing and just looked pretty.

2) Because not everyone is a religious bigot like you are. The pope was an influential person just like Ghandi, Mother Teresa and Martin Luther King Jr. As humans we all must show respect when others are mourning the loss of people that made an impact in their lives. This small gesture goes miles and shouldnt bother you. When JFK was assassinated I would bet that there were MANY flags in Canada (and in other places around the world) that were flying at half mast.

AsianCaucasian
04-05-2005, 07:53 AM

2) why are flags in calgary and elsewhere at half mast. Yes he was a man of stature, but only to a certain sect.

Go look up the meaning of the word sect. To call the world's largest Christian Church with over a billion members a sect is pretty damn ignorant.