PDA

View Full Version : 92 Golf or Jetta??

working_on_iy
04-05-2005, 07:27 AM
Hey guys, I`m a newby here. I was wondering what you guys think I should get between the 92 Golf or Jetta. I can easly get parts for both cars. But to me every penny counts! I have a shit job making about 7,50 an hour, for now!.... I hope u guys could help me out. wich would be a better mod or more compatibal to other engines or are they basicly the same shit in a different pile? thanks guys!

Euro_Trash
04-05-2005, 07:36 AM
Get a 92 2.0L 16V golf. Jetta's are just golfs with extra baggage

itsnotaDUB
04-05-2005, 10:07 AM
for sure get a golf, they really do look much better....

Mr. Burns
04-05-2005, 10:20 AM
I say Jetta, but I am biased. Both cars are sweet.

three.eighteen.
04-05-2005, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by mrburnsvw
I say Jetta, but I am biased. Both cars are sweet.

how can you be biased when you own one of each? (sorta)

Euro_Trash
04-05-2005, 01:43 PM
Thats exactly wut I was thinking ^^^

working_on_iy
04-05-2005, 01:51 PM
lol, thanks guys, what about engine mods.. this is the 1st car I wanna modify, I was stuck between the two. but what kind of mods would I be able to do? would I be able to stick in a beefyer motor in there? anyways, keep on posting guys, thanks for the help!

working_on_iy
04-05-2005, 02:56 PM
Also, when I buy the used car.. (If I still have enough cash) would it be worth getting the engin rebuilt? and would a port polish make a big difference?

I know alot of these questions are probably obvious but like I sayed. Its my 1st mod. I am also a registerd aprentice and ive ben working at a tgarage for about a year. I am STARTING to know my shit but hey, that why you guys are here right?:)

Euro_Trash
04-05-2005, 03:01 PM
I would save up and drop either a VR6, G60 or 1.8T in there, and then start modding that motor. Even a 2.0L 16V would be a good swap.

Euro_Trash
04-05-2005, 03:02 PM
And a G60 or a 2.0L 16V shouldn't take too much work to put in, VR6's I have heard are pretty easy swaps, just take a little more time and patience, plus you should swap in new axles and stuff for the 5-bolts if you go VR6

Mr. Burns
04-05-2005, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by three.eighteen.

how can you be biased when you own one of each? (sorta)
LOL I didn't think about it that way because my GTI is just a beater for now.

itsnotaDUB
04-05-2005, 04:03 PM
golf and jetta came with the same engines so its really up to body style.

Weapon_R
04-05-2005, 04:05 PM
Are you planning to modify the car? I think the older Golfs (and newer ones too) are much sportier. I also think they are one of the nicest hatches you can get.

If you have other commitments that require the versatility, get the Jetta. If you are interested, my uncle is selling a 1992 Jetta with 190k for around 2k

otto
04-05-2005, 04:06 PM
JETTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

BokCh0y
04-05-2005, 04:08 PM
jetta........

knees scrapin'
04-05-2005, 05:46 PM
Either as a mod platform is a good start.

You need to buy a 90+. For a few reasons. First and formost Central Electric, in late 89 VW introduced this as the standard wiring systems thru out the entire VW line up. This translates into relative stupidity in transplanting engines. For example it took me and a good friend 4 hours from start to finish to put a G60 supercharged Corrado engine into a 91 Jetta :thumbsup: . Next the "Big" bumpers" thing. They add alot more depth to the front and back ends. Mirrors are mounted on the glass not on the door itself, negating the 2nd window in the front door.

In terms of ext styling parts GTI/Golf have alot more favor on the aftermarket scene. As a start look for a filter, cam and exhuast and you'll be flyin'.
You should be able to find either with ease. Recentlty my friend picked up a 90 gti 16v for 1k:D . In wicked good shape. Just needed a few minor items.

Check out www.clubveedub.com or www.vwvortex.com if you haven't already.

Cheers, Chris.

working_on_iy
04-05-2005, 08:37 PM
yo thanks guys, specially Chriss, that shit helped. I usualy hate hatch backs but theres something bout the GTI that I like.So just to make sure. The G60 comes out of a vw carrado? Il look it up but, how is it ebtter then the GTI's original engine? lol, I know this might seem newbish, and it is but hey, you gotta start somewhere right? Thanks alot guys!!:clap:

working_on_iy
04-05-2005, 08:59 PM
BTW, Any clue where I could pic one up? How much (aproximately) would they be runing for. And they would fit in a 1991 Golf GTI?

knees scrapin'
04-05-2005, 10:46 PM
The G60 engine which is from the 1989 to early 1992 Corrado is a direct replacment to the Golf/Jetta platform. When you get into the VR6 and 1.8t motors the subframes, engine mounts and ecu becomes a little tricky.

Basicly the G60 motor is derived of two things. One is the actual motor which is a transverse mounted 1.8 liter 4 cylinder block with a 8valve head, motor code PG. Next comes the heart of it all the G60 supercharger, which is stock VW all the way. This helps the motor produce above 150 bhp at 11 psi(stock). Unfortunetly this system is notorious for blowing these units without proper attention.

Do not be afraid of this motor, with a few minor mods the supercharger can easily produce over 250 bhp. Or you can do what I did and forget about the G60 supercharger and go turbo. The motor is built very well with a very good ecu setup, oil squirters, forged crank, low compresion from factory and sodium valves to name a few.

You can find em for around 1k if you look har enough try the websites I posted before for all the info you need.

Chris.

working_on_iy
04-06-2005, 01:52 PM
Sick, so the stock GTI motor can be turboed?
I did somehtingning and for the litle cash I got, it would be alot of saving up to get a g60 and instal it and take proper care of that supercharger. I read up on them and now I know abit more. But you know, money talks! lol thanks

Kor
04-06-2005, 03:33 PM
The 16v is a very succesful turbo motor, and doesnt cost a lot to build.

Swapping in a VR6 or 1.8T is going to cost a lot.

Euro_Trash
04-06-2005, 04:23 PM
Yea go 16V turbo, easy to swap, easy to build up. G60 turbo or SC doesn't stand a chance to a 16V turbo

knees scrapin'
04-06-2005, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Euro_Trash
Yea go 16V turbo, easy to swap, easy to build up. G60 turbo or SC doesn't stand a chance to a 16V turbo

Really,:rofl:

My Corrado G60 t3 didn't do to bad against a 16v turbo GTI. But I do agree a SC G60 doesn't hold up as strong as the turbo motors.

The thing is a G60 motor is built to handle boost stock(I have seen em all the way to 28 psi with a rotrex charger), with tthe squirters, ecu and lower comp. The 16v on the other hand is not able to boost more than 10psi without grenading.

These are my own personal opinions on what I have seen run, so take it for what its worth. Gold.:D

Euro_Trash
04-06-2005, 07:20 PM
Thats interesting, you usually see G60's pushing around 220 WHP, if that. Usual numbers are 200 whp. Now, I am looking at a few 16vT on vortex: one of them pushing 300 whp, another pushing almost 500 whp, another 296.2 whp, 274.2 whp, etc. Its all about what you build your motor with, and how much money you put into it.

So umm.....
:rofl: :rofl:

MrMiyagi
04-06-2005, 07:37 PM
I think 1992 was the last year the golf was made in Germany. I beleive (but I could be wrong) that the golf of that year was made in Brazil or Mexico.

But I've owned a 1992 jetta and it's a pretty gutless, rust-prone car that costs a lot to fix. My 2 cents.

working_on_iy
04-06-2005, 08:20 PM
Really? my buddy picked one up last year for 2500 (some upgrades) but it doesent have a dimes worth of rust on it. its got about 185km in ontario. He has some problems now thow. Shes dying on him.. like its not getting enought fuel or something, suspected fuel pump. But Ive read alot on the G60 motors and they have some stock sensors that were no good. Is this a comon thing on all VW, and even GTI's?

FiveFreshFish
04-06-2005, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by MrMiyagi
I think 1992 was the last year the golf was made in Germany. I beleive (but I could be wrong) that the golf of that year was made in Brazil or Mexico.

Aren't the new Golfs or GTIs made in Germany for a few years now? The Jetta is still made in Mexico along with the New Beetle.