PDA

View Full Version : Is there an "intransit" auto insurance

bennyhanna
04-05-2005, 02:28 PM
If anyone know are has information about this, I would highly appreciate it.

Im thinking about buying a car in BC, and was wondering if there is some temporary insurance that I can get to transport the car. Whether I choose to drive the car or ship it out here.

Then main reason for this is not to pay taxes on the car in BC

bennyhanna
04-05-2005, 03:41 PM
ahaha

I just found out that If a buy a car through a private sale there are 0% taxes
:bigpimp:

rage2
04-05-2005, 03:43 PM
ICBC sells temporary insurance and tags.

mx73someday
04-05-2005, 03:46 PM
In BC, you can go to any autoplan/ICBC broker and get a T.O.P. (temporary operators permit), they include the insurance with the temporary registration, and it doesn't matter if you're not from BC. It's usually around $100 for 3-4 days IIRC.

Too bad they didn't offer affordable temporary insurance in Alberta. I think if you have good rapport with your Alberta insurance company, then they'll give you a temporary insurance pink slip for the duration of your trip if you're buying a new vehicle for free, however my friend went with a new insurance company and they wanted something ridiculous like $500/day for temporary insurance.

Supa Dexta
04-05-2005, 03:55 PM
If you hold insurance on a car already, call up the company and talk to them... tell them what your up to and they may let you run the other car for a day or two, to get it home... I know my parents have done this before when they wanted to use their bigger car for a trip to ontario, they allowed them to use it for a few days while covered on the other car on paper...

:)

GoChris
04-05-2005, 09:27 PM
when i bought a used car my insurance company just told me to take my plate put it on there and call em monday about the new one, and that i would be fine for the weekend

chris
04-05-2005, 10:14 PM
i just called up my insurance company, told them i was buying a car and they sent me proof of insurance. What christian said is probably the best way to go. If you want you could go to the registry here, tell them what you are doing and they would give you an intransit permit for a week

bennyhanna
04-06-2005, 10:27 AM
How will ICBC give you a temp ins permit if your not a resident?

3G
04-06-2005, 10:33 AM
I have a friend who bought a car @ Michener Auction. He bought the insurance and a "Intransit" Card he puts on the windshield, it was like 150 bucks for 3 days.

mx73someday
04-06-2005, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by bennyhanna
How will ICBC give you a temp ins permit if your not a resident?

Phone them. It's as easy as showing them your Bill of Sale and the previous owner's registration. I've done it a handful of times as a resident of Alberta.

lnspire
04-06-2005, 12:16 PM
If you are currently insured with a company and you do decide to purchase the vehicle, fax them a bill of sale and they will send you temporary insurance until they send your pink card in the mail. As for an in transit permit, bring the bill of sale, temporary insurance and your driver's licence to your nearest registry branch and they will issue you an "intransit permit" for a max of 2-3 days, given your coming from BC.

Why do I know all this you ask? Because I work at the registry :)

bennyhanna
04-07-2005, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by mx73someday

Phone them. It's as easy as showing them your Bill of Sale and the previous owner's registration. I've done it a handful of times as a resident of Alberta.

I spoke to ICBC and that is not the case

They will not issue a tempory insurance permit to any NON- BC resident with a NON BC DL