PDA

View Full Version : Airmiles

el_fefes
04-05-2005, 07:04 PM
There's probably a lot of people here who have airmiles accounts... what do you guys do with the miles? Any trips? I don't have that much...I'm probably gonna pick up a couple of CD's or something

Kobe
04-05-2005, 07:07 PM
Dads best friend owns a little company, has millions of airmiles.. gave us some once, first class airfare :)

they usally fly for free cause of it..

t-im
04-05-2005, 07:24 PM
We use ours for airline tickets???????????

el_fefes
04-05-2005, 07:33 PM
:rolleyes: well you you can redeem other things as well smart ass.

www.airmiles.ca

t-im
04-05-2005, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by el_fefes
:rolleyes: well you you can redeem other things as well smart ass.

www.airmiles.ca

uh I know that smartass :rolleyes: , but I personally don't think any of those things are worth using airmiles for. I'd rather go buy half of those things and slowly save up my airmiles.

If you have no use for yours, transfer them to someone in your family who has a large amount, and try to get a ticket out of it.

max_boost
04-05-2005, 07:41 PM
X-Box and lots of Shell gas vouchers

I use to be an Air Miles freak, I had the BMO Air Miles Credit Card, American Express Air Miles Credit Card, BMO Chequing/Savings Account, racked up Air Miles like crazy. My gf thought I was insane :rofl:

But I no longer rack up nearly as much points now since I canceled all of the above, just use the regular card if I gas up at Shell.

import_azn
04-05-2005, 08:12 PM
i got air/hotel/car rental for 5000 pts for a week in vancouver.
its worth it
:thumbsup:

Xtrema
04-05-2005, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by import_azn
i got air/hotel/car rental for 5000 pts for a week in vancouver.
its worth it
:thumbsup:

That's about the equivalent of $1000. But still not too shabby.

BTW, el_fefes, just keep in mind that each airmile is worth about 20-23 cents when you buy airline tickets ($200 Calgary-Vancouver return requires 950 airmiles).

Just to show you how much a scam is to use airmile for anything other than plane tickets:

Ipod mini 4GB Blue:

Future Shop = $250
Airmiles = 3300 miles = $660

So instead of trading 3300 miles for a $700 plane ticket, you got an Ipod that's worth only $250 (that's MSRP, some may sell for less).

And I did a lot of calculations, using this formula, only some specials are worth commiting airmiles to. I'll say 99% of nontravel related stuff is really a scam to off load their liability of you storing up too many airmiles. It's way cheaper to buy it with cash elsewhere.

I don't go out of my way to collect airmiles any more. Only collect whenever I happen to be in the shop that takes it - Shell, Sport Check, Boston Pizza and Safeway.

1badPT
04-05-2005, 10:54 PM
Some of the ticket deals are good - I use mine for the movie theatre night out packages quite often and the occaisional ATP tickets, comedy club tickets etc. Buying electronics with airmiles is usually a shitty deal because Airmiles doesn't really update their costs like a store does, so they price the electronics at the price they first came on the market at. I've never redeemed airmiles for an airline ticket :dunno:

Kobe
04-06-2005, 02:49 PM
while on this topic.. the guy i was taking about just went 2 rome on his airmile points with his wife, to go the popes funeral..

:angel:

sputnik
04-06-2005, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

And I did a lot of calculations, using this formula, only some specials are worth commiting airmiles to. I'll say 99% of nontravel related stuff is really a scam to off load their liability of you storing up too many airmiles. It's way cheaper to buy it with cash elsewhere.

I don't go out of my way to collect airmiles any more. Only collect whenever I happen to be in the shop that takes it - Shell, Sport Check, Boston Pizza and Safeway.

:werd:

Airfare is still the best way to use your Air Miles.

Melinda
04-06-2005, 03:34 PM
I used some to go to Vancouver last year, but you still have to pay airport takes and stuff, so for me it still wasn't free. Cut back on the costs a little, but not 100% free

joseph
04-06-2005, 03:52 PM
Using mine to fly to Toronto this summer. Almost totally free:D

......almost:cry:

abyss
04-06-2005, 03:55 PM
My boss got a month long trip to New Zealand with his....helps when you put $150,000/month worth of bills on it ;)