PDA

View Full Version : drop some quick lbs

Rockski
04-05-2005, 07:30 PM
alright, the only way i want to do this is by maximizing my workout and minimizing time. i just wanna know what part of a work out (aside from cardio, cause i know that) will help dump some weight quickly. i know proper diet as well.

gained some weight moving back down to airdrie and its not cool :dunno:

Carfanman
04-05-2005, 08:26 PM
So besides for cardio and good eating habits, you want to know how to lose weight.

In order to lose weight, you have to burn more calories than you take in. So you have to eat well to take in fewer calories, and do any exercise that will burn calories, thats basically cardio.

Weight training will get your heart pumping too, but not as much as a good half hour on the elliptical trainer, tread mill, bike, or any other cardio workout.

And if your asking which weight training workout burns the most calories per minute, that would be which ever one gets your heart rate up the most. You can easily figure that out for your self. Just do each workout, and immediatly after each one, count how many times your heart beats in a minute.

Other than that, I dont know what to tell you.

Rockski
04-05-2005, 09:11 PM
thanks.. that exactly what i though... i was just wondering i know i think it was gggunit that talks about some routine where its heavy on the squats but i was a little unsure. i know the basics about weight loss, my land lady was a body builder, but i was always in better shape then. well thanks

core_upt
04-05-2005, 09:47 PM
coke, as in "aine" not "cola"

you'll drop the weight in now time!

Rockski
04-05-2005, 10:52 PM
same as meth, but i dont want to get into another habbit

BlkMaxima
04-05-2005, 10:59 PM
Take some EX-LAX

shakalaka
04-05-2005, 11:02 PM
Man just do cardio. Run on treadmills, ellipticals and so warm up excercises. You will loose weight before you know it. As simple as that. No other way, other than going on pills and shit like ephedra which will fuck you up anyways.

JAYMEZ
04-05-2005, 11:52 PM
Ehhh. Burning more than your calorie intake is not the best way to loose weight at all... If your body is starved , it will start to eat away at your muscle and make you fat once again.

Tyler883
04-06-2005, 12:05 AM
eat at least enough calories for your BMR, anything less will slow your metabolism down.

There are some different opinions on this, but they all follow the same theme that not eating enough is bad for your metabolism.

Darkane
04-06-2005, 12:06 AM
Once you know your way around the Gym quite well and Its not busy (after supper) try Circuit training. Basically run from machine to machine or free wieghts do yer shit at higher reps and keep the heart going so it doesn't drop after the cardio.

Rockski
04-06-2005, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ_STi
Ehhh. Burning more than your calorie intake is not the best way to loose weight at all... If your body is starved , it will start to eat away at your muscle and make you fat once again.

Originally posted by Tyler883
eat at least enough calories for your BMR, anything less will slow your metabolism down.

There are some different opinions on this, but they all follow the same theme that not eating enough is bad for your metabolism.

im well aware of the not eating being bad, thanks guy. :thumbsup:

yea i really just want to lean out, so im thinking white meats twice a day, (i cant remember how my land lady whieghed it out) 3 protien shakes a day and keep fruits/vegitable intake high, also heavy on the water

~Leah~
04-06-2005, 01:21 AM
Your body only needs 1.2-1.8 g/kg of protein a day... anything more than that your body won't use and will just turn to fat... just so you know....

Toma
04-06-2005, 01:48 PM
2 words....

Atkins Diet. Nothing else even comes close.

Toma
04-06-2005, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by ~Leah~
Your body only needs 1.2-1.8 g/kg of protein a day... anything more than that your body won't use and will just turn to fat... just so you know....
uhm....no. That figure was thrown out to gym "fitness experts" ages ago, and is complete BS. They have done real medical studies published in the New England Journal of medicine and others. In one they fed a group of people 2 grams of protein per kg of body weight, and then they had a group they fed 6 grams per kg.... total calories were adjusted to 20% above BMR for both groups.

The low protien group lost muscle mass, gained body fat, and their bad choletsterol went through the roof compared to the "high protein" group.

Protein is an essential nutrient
Fat is an essential nutrient

Protein is also an appetite suppressant, and eating a lot of protein makes you less hungry.... also converting protein to energy and to fat is highly inefficient (its that damn amine molecule your body has trouble with), so it is FAR less "bad" to eat too much protein versus too much fat or carbs.

So, you can skimp on carbs with no danger.
You can cut down "bad" fats to some degree
Don't skimp on your protein. Ever.

JAYMEZ
04-06-2005, 02:47 PM
^^ But Atkins diet is harsh , and most people crash on it after and gain all the wight they lost before, perhaps a low carb intake would be better, but no carbs is just asking for trouble.

Best thing for loseing the weight , do cardio then progress to a HITT program.

Carfanman
04-06-2005, 03:01 PM
Burning more than your calorie intake doesnt mean starve. If you have 2000 calories a day, and you want to lose 2 pounds a week (the most you really should), just lower your intake to 1500, which is not starvation. And burn 2500. Also, eat six small meals through out the day, if its just 3 big ones that total your 1500 calories, you'll find yourself snacking in between, and that will cause you to lose less.

Toma
04-06-2005, 06:31 PM
^^ But Atkins diet is harsh , and most people crash on it after and gain all the wight they lost before, perhaps a low carb intake would be better, but no carbs is just asking for trouble.

Best thing for loseing the weight , do cardio then progress to a HITT program.
Their lack of will power and self control is why they are fat to begin with.

They are fat for a reason. So, no diet on the planet will make you thin permanently if you go back to the way you were that made you fat to begin with.

Atkins drops the pounds fast, then you maintain it. The diet does its job, if you are a slob with no self control, then you will be fat no matter what "diet" you do.

And, Atkins is not NO carbs. It is simply low carbs ingested intelligently.

Toma
04-06-2005, 06:34 PM
oh...sorry, my above post on protein was wrong. I rechecked the study I quoted, and they had 3 groups...
1.5 g/kg, 3.0 g/kg and 4.5 g/kg, but still the highest group fared best...

~Leah~
04-06-2005, 11:50 PM
While 4.5 g/kg of protein may not be bad... it also depends on what type of lifestyle these people are leading. It's the people that are injesting a sick amount of protein that are going to find body fat on the rise because the body just doesn't need that much, and if someone that leads a sedentary lifestyle eats that much protein, guess what... it doesn't have any muscle tissue to repair so it's just going to get stored in the body.

As well....

LOW to NO CARBS = VERY VERY BAD

Your brain needs carbs to function correctly...

Wildcat
04-06-2005, 11:57 PM
yah the atkins diet is pretty ruthless, but it does work. my dad did it and he went from like 220 to 170, now i can kick his ass, lol.

dieting isnt healthy period so take whatever you do with a grain of salt. depriving your body of what it wants isnt normal, but neither is eating like shit everyday.

~Leah~
04-07-2005, 12:01 AM
My friend Chris also did the Atkins diet and went from 290 to 177... but he won't listen to any of my advice now... his latest 2 "diets" he made up were the "Corn and Banana" diet and the "Vitamin and Water" diet... as you can see... he isn't the brightest twig on the tree...

Toma
04-07-2005, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by ~Leah~

LOW to NO CARBS = VERY VERY BAD

Your brain needs carbs to function correctly...
Sort of correct, but you are missing the vital ingredient...

Your body uses blood glucose for energy. not "carbs" you eat. So, when you are on Atkins, your blood sugar is VERY stabilized, but of course is still present at a normal level as regulated by your body. Your body can convert all sorts of precursors into glucose besides simple carbs. For instance, fat and lactic acid (which of course gets into amazing things such as faster recovery after anarobic exercise when on Atkins....) etc....

its called "gluconeogenesis".

My suggestion to any "real" nutritonist is to go actually take some biochemistry courses at the U of C. When I attended, the 2 really good ones were Bchem. 441 and 443. If they are still called the same.... excellent :thumbsup:

Toma
04-07-2005, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by Wildcat

dieting isnt healthy period so take whatever you do with a grain of salt. depriving your body of what it wants isnt normal, but neither is eating like shit everyday.
"diet" is essential. We just happen to be doing it all wrong in modern society.

Our bodies "want" caffeine and refined sugar.... no one in their right mind can say its "good for us".... and that "depriving" it of these things is bad.

Overcooked, overprocessed, overfarmed....

Back to nature if you wanna live. It's funny how cancer rates, heart disease etc are so common now, and so rare 100 years ago.

If you are bored and wanna read an interesting book... Check out "We want to live" by Aajonus Vonderplanitz if you are in the bookstore. Certainly a different perspective.

~Leah~
04-07-2005, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by Toma

Sort of correct, but you are missing the vital ingredient...

Your body uses blood glucose for energy. not "carbs" you eat. So, when you are on Atkins, your blood sugar is VERY stabilized, but of course is still present at a normal level as regulated by your body. Your body can convert all sorts of precursors into glucose besides simple carbs. For instance, fat and lactic acid (which of course gets into amazing things such as faster recovery after anarobic exercise when on Atkins....) etc....

its called "gluconeogenesis".

My suggestion to any "real" nutritonist is to go actually take some biochemistry courses at the U of C. When I attended, the 2 really good ones were Bchem. 441 and 443. If they are still called the same.... excellent :thumbsup:

Yes, but it is to my understanding that the neurons can not store glucose themselves... but that the neurons must aquire the glucose from the bloodstream, which comes from the carbs.

Have you done the Atkin's diet yourself? You seem way too one-sided on that diet....

~Leah~
04-07-2005, 01:54 AM
Oh yeah, and while your body may be able to break down the fat to turn it into glucose needed for the functioning of the brain, there is no doubt that it is making your heart work a hell of a lot harder to break it down... therefore causing a lot of heart issues with people on the Atkin's diet.

Toma
04-07-2005, 09:38 AM
Leah.... you have a lot of misconceptions about the Atkins diet. Your heart does not break down carbs. There is not one single study that has been done that has found Atkins to be bad for: Heart, Liver, Kidneys.... blah blah.

A human beings blood glucose level ALWAYS stays in a range. So, even during starvation, our body will attempt to maintain homeostasis and do whatever it can to maintain blood sugar.

So, even if you eat ZERO carbs (which is very unusual, and strange), you would still have fairly normal blood sugar levels if you were otherwise healthy....of course this could take a few days (usually 36 or so hours)

Your brain can switch to ketones for energy to some extent.... I think I read somewhere that it can use upto 60% of its energy from ketones....but it is not that relevant since blood sugar is always present lol.

As for me and Atkins....lol. I invented that diet on my own lol ;) Sitting in one of my classes may years ago, having just studied adaptations to starvation and other pathways, and I thought i had thought of something big.

I run home, tell my dad, and he says "congratulations 'Dr. Atkins' " lol. But anyway.....

Proper Atkins (not some bastardized "no carb" version), ALWAYS results in weight loss, improved blood work, higher energy levels, faster recovery and healthier disposition in general....

Out of all the diets out there, I think he hit the mark, though he probably got there by accident.

~Leah~
04-08-2005, 01:40 AM
DIETS ARE SHIT.

plain and simple... no more needs to be said. Eat a healthy, balanced diet, and make that your lifestyle... for the rest of your life.

SUPRAPHAT
04-08-2005, 03:29 AM
haha the true words of a person who has never had to lose weight before.

You really need to get out more!

Jason

~Leah~
04-08-2005, 11:48 AM
I've never had to lose weight before? Riiiight... obviously you would know right? Because we're such good friends. No... I've never had to lose 50 lbs ever...

Carfanman
04-08-2005, 12:12 PM
what did you do to lose your 50 pounds?

codo
04-08-2005, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Carfanman
what did you do to lose your 50 pounds?

i bet its probably just liek she said diets are shit cause you are usually eating things you dont want to then you go on binge eating and stupid shit and also she probably lost weight by eating a well balanced diet and excercise and NOT sitting on beyond forums and whoreing it up all the time

Carfanman
04-08-2005, 12:37 PM
Wow, thats hilarious coming from you. looks at most of your posts.

codo
04-08-2005, 02:27 PM
oh im a whore but im not on beyond all the time and i wasnt talking bout you being the one sitting on beyond forums all the tim i was actually hinting it

~Leah~
04-08-2005, 02:51 PM
To lose 50 lbs... I changed my eating habits, and went to the gym. I used to eat A LOT of pasta... like every meal. I cut that back to a couple times a week. Ate more veggies and fruits and lean white meats... and did a lot of intense cardio and weight training. Working at a gym made it a lot easier to motivate myself to get there... just show up a couple hours before my shift and I'm good to go.

Carfanman
04-08-2005, 03:25 PM
How long did it take?

Congratulations. When did you do this?

~Leah~
04-08-2005, 05:03 PM
I did it about a year ago... it took me mmm... October 2003 to May 2004 I believe... something like that

bigbadboss101
04-09-2005, 01:02 PM
I have seen friend who lost a lot of fat, and got in good shape in a few months. They eat better food, at the right time. Reducing intake of high 'bad' fat food, refined sugar and carb, and increase intake of fruits and veggies, and good protein. I am trying to get to that point, and learning to be discipline.

Really it's more important to lose fat than weight. It's good to lose water weight, and fat weight. But personally I have been at 198 and learner than when I was at 188. Sometimes I low muscle weight and end up being lighter yet I also have a soft belly. The more muscles you have, the more calories you burn while you are at rest. So, from what I have read and seen, its about eating lot of good food (don't cut intake ridiculously), a good combo of cardio and resistant traking, and proper rest :-)

canuckmuscle
04-11-2005, 08:12 PM
Diet is more important than anything! Give this a try. Make up a spreadsheet and put in the calories, carbs, fat and protein. It may sound really tedious and perhaps a little weird. but put the info in there once and then you can copy and paste it for each day. You'll be surprised at how much you really eat!!!!! not too mention how out of balance your diet may be. The important thing to remember is that everyone is very different, so try things and see what works best for you. losing weight doesn't have to mean losing out on fun.

~Leah~
04-11-2005, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by canuckmuscle
Diet is more important than anything! Give this a try. Make up a spreadsheet and put in the calories, carbs, fat and protein. It may sound really tedious and perhaps a little weird. but put the info in there once and then you can copy and paste it for each day. You'll be surprised at how much you really eat!!!!! not too mention how out of balance your diet may be. The important thing to remember is that everyone is very different, so try things and see what works best for you. losing weight doesn't have to mean losing out on fun.

There's online websites you can sign up for to do the same thing, less work on your part! I like www.fitday.com

Tyler883
04-13-2005, 03:09 PM
I like fitday so I bought the full program.

IMO, If you are going to spend the time to enter your data into a computer, you might as well spend the few bucks to get the full features.

So I tried the website service for a month and then bought the program.

My opinion on the program is overall pretty positive, but I was disappointed that my website data would not import into the program.