PDA

View Full Version : Need some JDM mr2 info, model designation etc.

Redlyne_mr2
04-05-2005, 09:54 PM
I'm missing out on the fun, my car is taking too damn long and I want an mr2 to drive again. I'm thinking about importing one and I have a few questions.
What JDM model is the turbo?
How do the electric fogs work? Do they break down after time?
Is the stereo and climate control any different?
Is there a drivers airbag?
Is there cruise control as standard?

Im assuming the suspension components and everything else is the same. I'd be using this car for a summer daily driver so the performance aspect is not as important. I'm sure the JDM model is a bit quicker though than a stock usdm MR2.

Max, how does the JDM handle 92-94 octane as opposed to 110?

Thanks Guys

thinmyster
04-05-2005, 10:22 PM
you have way too much casual money!!
but your planning on importing one and driving it in the summer as a daily driver and just usuing you other one on off days and on the track?
mmmm how long is it going to take to get the car finished?

Ek9Max
04-05-2005, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
I'm missing out on the fun, my car is taking too damn long and I want an mr2 to drive again. I'm thinking about importing one and I have a few questions.
What JDM model is the turbo?
How do the electric fogs work? Do they break down after time?
Is the stereo and climate control any different?
Is there a drivers airbag?
Is there cruise control as standard?

Im assuming the suspension components and everything else is the same. I'd be using this car for a summer daily driver so the performance aspect is not as important. I'm sure the JDM model is a bit quicker though than a stock usdm MR2.

Max, how does the JDM handle 92-94 octane as opposed to 110?

Thanks Guys

-The Mr2 GT is the turbo model.

-My electric fogs work awesome. They point with th esteering wheel. I don't use them much thouhg, since I don't want them to break.

-My car came without a stereo, I think it's the same. the climate controls are different thouhg. I can set a temp (20C) and set it to "auto"

-mine had an aftermarket steering wheel, so no airbag for me

-I didn't have cruise..... Oh well, I got power folding mirrors. :)

-My car handles 91 octane just fine. I'm running low boost htough (6-8 psi). and when I turn the boos tup it'll be on the ct20b and SDR ems....

Just get your mr2 running man. Dont' be so lazy.

Redlyne_mr2
04-05-2005, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by Ek9Max

-The Mr2 GT is the turbo model.

-My electric fogs work awesome. They point with th esteering wheel. I don't use them much thouhg, since I don't want them to break.

-My car came without a stereo, I think it's the same. the climate controls are different thouhg. I can set a temp (20C) and set it to "auto"

-mine had an aftermarket steering wheel, so no airbag for me

-I didn't have cruise..... Oh well, I got power folding mirrors. :)

-My car handles 91 octane just fine. I'm running low boost htough (6-8 psi). and when I turn the boos tup it'll be on the ct20b and SDR ems....

Just get your mr2 running man. Dont' be so lazy.

Hehe its not me being lazy, I have to manage the time that its at the shop in Red Deer vs. the time it takes for my parts to come in vs. the time it takes for the bodyshop to do the paint job. Believe me if I had everything my way it would be done.

Jon, yeah i want the jdm mr2 to use as a summer car, where as my original one will stay as a track, super nice day, weekend car. Plus I want to own a nice clean stock body mr2 to go with my mofidied one. I have a pile of extra aftermarket parts so I could even do a few small mods:D

71 mgb
04-06-2005, 01:21 PM
the radio has a shorter fq mine only gose up to 87.9fm, you can get a device that extends it.. i dont have cruise on mine but i do have every other option, and no airbag, mine is a 90 GT

i will find out later today how it like 91oct and 10-11psi of boost as i just put in a blitz sbc i-d :clap:

hope this helps

jdmsource
04-06-2005, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by 71 mgb
the radio has a shorter fq mine only gose up to 87.9fm, you can get a device that extends it.. i dont have cruise on mine but i do have every other option, and no airbag, mine is a 90 GT

i will find out later today how it like 91oct and 10-11psi of boost as i just put in a blitz sbc i-d :clap:

hope this helps
i have a jdm deck in my car and it sux with no radio, where can i find the extender for the frequency? and what is it called? cuz i thought i was SOL!

dj_Twin_turbo
04-06-2005, 04:43 PM
The GT AND the GT-S are turbo models. Difference being the GT-S is a "stripper model" without power options, etc.

The NA models are G and G-Limited

Japanese cars had airbags as options all the way through 99 I believe. They were never stanard equipment.

Redlyne_mr2
04-06-2005, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by jdmsource

i have a jdm deck in my car and it sux with no radio, where can i find the extender for the frequency? and what is it called? cuz i thought i was SOL!
I think you can buy them on ebay.

thanks for the info guys.

jdmsource
04-06-2005, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

I think you can buy them on ebay.

thanks for the info guys.

thanks ryan! and btw sorry for butting into ur thread

jvillain
04-07-2005, 10:19 AM
so I could even do a few small mods

Isn't that how this project started out?

Japan does not measure octane the same way that we do. The 110 they run over there is roughly equivelent to 95 octane here.

Redlyne_mr2
04-08-2005, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by jvillain

Isn't that how this project started out?

Japan does not measure octane the same way that we do. The 110 they run over there is roughly equivelent to 95 octane here.
Oh wow I never knew that, lol and I will resist and keep this one fairly stock.

thinmyster
04-08-2005, 10:59 PM
wanna throw an engine lid my way ryan? if you have an abundance

jvillain
04-09-2005, 08:25 AM
I snarfed this off a scoobydoo board but it spells it out pretty well.

Theres three different ways to display the AKI (anit-knock index, aka- Octane) of gasoline:

RON- Research Octane Number, what Japan uses.
MON- Motor Octane Number
(R+M)/2- Average of the 2, what the US uses.

For both RON and MON, the engine is operated at a constant speed (RPM's) and the compression ratio is increased until the onset of knocking. For RON engine speed is set at 600 rpm @ 150f and MON is at 900 rpm @ 300f. MON is a more stressful testing environment.

Generally RON will always be a higher rating than MON and thus higher than (R+M)/2.

For pure compounds the differences between RON and MON range from 0 to more than 15 numbers...you cant compare the two different AKI directly, ie- Japan has 108 Octane... we only get 93 Octane..... your not comparing Apple to Apples...those gas's could be the same exact formula!!