PDA

View Full Version : E36 Stereo

Loose
04-06-2005, 01:26 PM
I'm trying to figure out how to put together a system for my car. Nothing crazy, just a simple clean system.

Right now the car has a Sony deck, and factory speakers. It sounds ok. The first thing needed is a bit more low end. At first I wanted JL Audio stealth boxes, but they're going to cost $750, more than I want to spend.
http://www.jlaudio.com/stealthbox/3series.html

Now I'm trying to design a sub box that fits between my rear strut brace and seat backs, but it is VERY tight. As box like this would be able to house 2 8" woofers.

Anybody have some good suggestions for a box that is not intrusive, and will fit with the strut brace? Also, does anyone have any comments on how sealed the trunk is? It looks like bass will have a hard time making into the cab unless you pull out the rear speakers completely. Has anyone done this, and how did you like it?

SteveMo600
04-06-2005, 01:45 PM
I installed a decent stereo in my E36 last year and I did have a few problems.

The trunk is extremely enclosed making it difficult for the bass to travel through to the cab. I only had 1 12" Rockford in there but the sub sounded much better in my previous car. Upgrading the stock speakers is probably the best upgrade you can make in that car because the stock speakers lack a lot of bass. My suggestion would not to put a box between the brace and the back seat cause it is way too tight (I tried that). I would first of all put a couple nice sets of speakers (High end components if you have the cash) in the car (Front are 5 1/4" and rear are 4") in order to improve SQ. Not exactly sure what type of music you listen to or your budget, but if you're looking for a lot of bass, you'll need to spend a good penny on a powerful sub and amp or else rip out the back seat.

bol
04-06-2005, 01:50 PM
I put a set of Focal polyglass components, eclipse headunit, eclipse 4-channel amp and an eclipse 10" in my E36 and it sounded great. The rear speakers were removed to let more bass into the cabin(and you don't need them anyways.)

Things I would do differently next time:
Cut out the kickpanels to accept 6.5" speakers(more mid bass.) and put a 12" recessed into the spare tire area.

I think with bigger woofers in the kickpanels it would have been perfect - the recessed sub is just preference for trunk space.

Look for high quality - not quantity.

SteveMo600
04-06-2005, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by bol
The rear speakers were removed to let more bass into the cabin(and you don't need them anyways.)

Is that the case for all cars? If you've got a sub is it better to have high quality front speakers and then remove the rear ones?

bol
04-06-2005, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by SteveMo600

Is that the case for all cars? If you've got a sub is it better to have high quality front speakers and then remove the rear ones?

Rear speakers mess up the imaging and are only installed in cars to have a rear fill for passengers in the back... with them gone you'll notice MUCH better imaging and things will sound way more natural(up front at least, people in the back will only hear bass.)

To have rear speakers *properly* it costs a lot of money and you have to get into things like calculating the delay between the front and back. Some high end head units can do this and there are devices made specifically for it but 99% of the time, you don't need rear speakers.

With high quality components and subwoofers the days of having 6x9's in the rear deck for some bass are gone.

Loose
04-06-2005, 04:31 PM
I'm looking for quality. I'm not a bass head. Any recommended components sets? (Sub $200)

bol
04-06-2005, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Loose
I'm looking for quality. I'm not a bass head. Any recommended components sets? (Sub $200)

Sub $200 is hard. I *really* liked my Adire Kodas(6.5") and wish I had bought those again. I like my Focal Polyglass as well but both of those are way more than $200.

Keep in mind that you'll need an amp to run any set of components to their potential. Headunit power is useless.

ACS-e36
04-06-2005, 04:40 PM
just upgrade to the OEM HK(harmon Kardon) system. its ALLOT better than the premium nokia speakers. bass hits harder and deeper and the treble is crystal clear. i would not reccomend replacing the factory amp with aftermarket because you would need to FINE tune it. and even then its difficult because theres a total of 10 speakers.
as for headunit i would get the OEM bmw CD43 headunit found optional in z3 models. it had indash CD and its OEM so it all matches. ive gone through allot of headunits and they have all annnoyed me because it just doesnt flow with the interior.

if your looking for a sub. theres Infinity basslink thats plug and play. no splicing of wires.

Loose
04-06-2005, 04:49 PM
200 is to cheap, eh? I should go for a shopping trip I guess and see what's out there. Whatever I get will probably be from A&B sound, as I get really good prices there.

t-im
04-06-2005, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by ACS-e36
as for headunit i would get the OEM bmw CD43 headunit found optional in z3 models. it had indash CD and its OEM so it all matches. ive gone through allot of headunits and they have all annnoyed me because it just doesnt flow with the interior.

Brandon, do you have that headunit for your car???? Did it right in and just plug/play nothing else?
My cd changer sucks ass and I don't want a aftermarket deck

bol
04-06-2005, 04:53 PM
200 is to cheap, eh? I should go for a shopping trip I guess and see what's out there. Whatever I get will probably be from A&B sound, as I get really good prices there.

You can't really do a good/decent system for much less than $2k...

Good speakers/headunit/amp/sub/cables are going to cost you pretty much $2k on the dot(maybe a little less, but not much.)

Otherwise you're best left leaving it alone because buying lesser components/sub/amp/whatever will only cost you more in the long run when you replace them.

My 2cents. I've done this a few times so I've learnt from my mistakes.

SteveMo600
04-06-2005, 04:57 PM
$2000 is quite a bit of money. A lot of people are just looking to improve upon the stock system and don't have that kind of cash. I looked around and found some good deals and spent less than $1000 on my stereo and I'm very happy.

Car stereo is dangerous cause you can always spend more and more on it.

bol
04-06-2005, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by SteveMo600
$2000 is quite a bit of money. A lot of people are just looking to improve upon the stock system and don't have that kind of cash. I looked around and found some good deals and spent less than $1000 on my stereo and I'm very happy.

Car stereo is dangerous cause you can always spend more and more on it.

Depends what you're looking for. Most peope just want more bass.

Loudness? Quality? Low price? Pick two - you can't have all three.

ACS-e36
04-06-2005, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by t-im

Brandon, do you have that headunit for your car???? Did it right in and just plug/play nothing else?
My cd changer sucks ass and I don't want a aftermarket deck

sure do! ill show you some time

t-im
04-06-2005, 05:02 PM
Show me friday, I'm pretty sure i'll see you that night
i need better deck for my car haha

Originally posted by ACS-e36

sure do! ill show you some time

Loose
04-06-2005, 05:26 PM
I've done systems before, and frankly they are a huge waste of money IMO. I also know that a properly set up system inexpensive system is better than a poorly set up expensive system.

When you add it all up, $2k sounds about right:

$350 Deck
$200 Front speakers
$600 4 channel amp
$300 Subwoofer(s)
$200 Box
$200 wires, etc.

Total: $1850 for average gear.

See, I told all y'all, waste of money
:D

ACS-e36
04-06-2005, 05:36 PM
I've done systems before, and frankly they are a huge waste of money IMO. I also know that a properly set up system inexpensive system is better than a poorly set up expensive system.

When you add it all up, $2k sounds about right:

$350 Deck
$200 Front speakers
$600 4 channel amp
$300 Subwoofer(s)
$200 Box
$200 wires, etc.

Total: $1850 for average gear.

See, I told all y'all, waste of money
:D

:werd: been there. done that. money that could be put to much better use in the car. cheaper/easier alternative is upgrading to HK. all plug and play and sounds GOOD

Tuner1
04-06-2005, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by bol
Loudness? Quality? Low price? Pick two - you can't have all three.

LOL, sound like what I try to tell people about so many parts for their cars...only I come off as the bad guy when I try to help them :dunno:

Can't wait to hear the Kodas in my E36 :D

Rob

bol
04-06-2005, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by E36S50B32

LOL, sound like what I try to tell people about so many parts for their cars...only I come off as the bad guy when I try to help them :dunno:

Can't wait to hear the Kodas in my E36 :D

Rob

Pick any two is almost always true, hehe.

I can't believe you haven't installed those yet!