PDA

View Full Version : *The Unofficial Beyond BBQ Thread*

BerserkerCatSplat
04-06-2005, 06:28 PM
Well, the weather's starting to look good, and you know what that means!

Gentlemen, start your BBQ's!

So, here's a thread to post your best BBQ techniques and recipes!
Know how to grill a steak to perfection? Let us know your secret!
Got a spice combo that brings the ladies from all over the block? Do tell!

I'll start it all off with one of my faves:

SEASONED BBQ POTATOES

- For each serving, cube 2-3 potatoes. Red or Yellow potatoes work best. Cubes should be fairly small, around the size of the "homestyle" hashbrowns you get at Smitty's and such. Each serving should be individually seasoned & wrapped. That way, everyone can have their own flavour of taters!

- Put chopped potatoes on a sheet of tinfoil about 1ft by 1ft. Add margerine/butter and seasonings. I generally use about 1-2 tablespoons of margerine, you can adjust to taste/diet. For seasoning, I recommend seasoning salt (a must), garlic/onion powder, pepper, and chopped chives if you like 'em. You can also add some powdered Cayanne pepper for a bit of a kick!

- Wrap the potatoes in the tinfoil, turn over and wrap in another sheet of foil. (The seams should be on opposite sides to prevent the melted butter from leaking.) Shake to disperse seasonings

- Put on BBQ for approx. 30-45 minutes or until nice and soft (will vary depending on grill, I do mine on medium heat so as to keep the potatoes from browning too quickly). Turn over once or twice during grill time to spread molten butter & spices.

- ENJOY! Potatoes should be melt-in-your-mouth soft & tastylicious!

GTS Jeff
04-06-2005, 06:41 PM
throw on a slab of meat and cover it in montreal steak spice.

KAVIE
04-06-2005, 11:18 PM
I like to marinate my steaks in Corona and green peppers about 24 hours before I BBQ. Makes them soooo tender and tasty. Red Wine and Vinegar works well too.

AllGoNoShow
04-07-2005, 12:44 AM
Im with GTS. Some motreal steak spice mixed with a bunch of BBQ sauce, I mean a bunch too, overlfowing from the sides:drool: :drool: :drool:

That Potatos reciept sounds good, going to print it off and give it a shot next time I got a few hours for dinner to mess around with.

AllGoNoShow
04-07-2005, 12:46 AM
One question Berker, I know for tin foil dinners we do, we do one wrap of tin foil, one wrap of moist paper towel and another wrap of tin foil, do you bother with the moist paper towel or just 2 wraps of tin foil?

abyss
04-07-2005, 10:17 AM
MMMM, rotisserie chicken on BBQ's is SO good, brush with a little olive oil and sprinkle some lemon pepper on there and you're good to go. We decided to make it one day, but my only suggestion would be for people to use one of those meat thermometers to tell when it's done. We didn't have one so we realized it was done only AFTER it had completely fallen off the bones and spit. OMG it was soooo good. :drool:

BerserkerCatSplat
04-07-2005, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by AllGoNoShow
One question Berker, I know for tin foil dinners we do, we do one wrap of tin foil, one wrap of moist paper towel and another wrap of tin foil, do you bother with the moist paper towel or just 2 wraps of tin foil?

Hmm, I've never tried the moist paper towel, I assume it's to keep the food from drying out? Sounds like a good idea, let me know how it goes!

BerserkerCatSplat
04-07-2005, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff

Another good spice is the Spicy Pepper Medley from Club House, I highly recommend it! I usually mix it with the Montreal, but it's also very good on its own.

e_racer
04-07-2005, 03:32 PM
Has anyone seen any good deals for BBQ's any where looking to spend under $200.

BerserkerCatSplat
04-07-2005, 03:45 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=82313&highlight=BBQ

^There's one for sale in the Marketplace for dirt cheap, but you'll most likely have to spend some time cleaning it. As far as that goes, a "restored" BBQ can work very well. The one I currently use was in garbage condition when I got it, I spent one day cleaning/refurbishing it, and it works like a charm!

Sears has a nice looking one here for $199.99 (http://www6.sears.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&categoryId=10148&langId=-1&rrc=1&productId=158038880)

And another couple of grills for about the same price (http://www6.sears.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&categoryId=10148&langId=-1&rrc=1&productId=158138615)

I'd also check the Sears outlet store in Deerfoot Mall for cheap ones, the prices there are always good.

I think WalMart had some the last time I was in there, can't remember what the prices were like.

69cougar
04-07-2005, 03:47 PM
Dude...I would seriously wait until you have enough money to buy a decent BBQ. You can get cheapis from Home Depot, Canadain Tire etc but not only do they not cook well they also don't last. Go buy a good one from Home Depit and get a Home Depot Store card (if u can) No payments or intrest for 12 months than pay it back over the 12 months.

I got my baby for under $600 last year. As when you use the card the first time you get 10% off.

Here is what I got:

http://bbq.about.com/od/gasgrillreviews/gr/aapr032005a.htm

Mine does not have this side burner

69cougar
04-07-2005, 03:51 PM
Pic!

BerserkerCatSplat
04-07-2005, 03:54 PM
^ That's a really nice-looking grill, is it on natural gas? (The link says it has an optional natgas unit) I'd LOVE a natural gas grill!!

paulsaddress5
04-07-2005, 04:00 PM
heres what i do for a good steak, i start with some steaks, sirloin, what ever u want, i tenderize them with a fork, then some of that tenderizing power, then i use a mixture of whoshtire sauce, and soya, and marinate them over night, grill to perfection and bam

legendboy
04-07-2005, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by paulsaddress5
heres what i do for a good steak, i start with some steaks, sirloin, what ever u want, i tenderize them with a fork, then some of that tenderizing power, then i use a mixture of whoshtire sauce, and soya, and marinate them over night, grill to perfection and bam

I like this type of marinate the best too, add some pesto, cracked peper in there and your good to go.

No tenderizer tho, msg = :barf:

You just have to pick the right steak and you never need that anyways (ie rib eye)

DJ Lazy
04-07-2005, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff

:werd: Montreal Steak Spice is by far the best... :drool: :drool:

69cougar
04-07-2005, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSpl
^ That's a really nice-looking grill, is it on natural gas? (The link says it has an optional natgas unit) I'd LOVE a natural gas grill!!

Yeah I got tired of always running out of propane so now I don't have to worry about it! :thumbsup:

BerserkerCatSplat
04-08-2005, 01:25 PM
Does anyone know where I can pick up a spit for a rotisserie? Just the spit, mind you, I have the motor. I can't seem to find one anywhere, just the motor/spit pakckages...

GTS Jeff
04-08-2005, 02:12 PM
Oh here's another one.

Throw on a shitload of sausages and go nuts with the msg.

t-im
04-08-2005, 02:17 PM
Everyone should buy a Weber BBQ.
haha

Has anyone ever made that beer can chicken shit? (Something like that) Someone was telling me about it and said it tasted "the best"..

BerserkerCatSplat
04-08-2005, 06:40 PM
Got the Beer Can Chicken recipe off the Web, I have yet to try it.

Ingredients
1 can (12 ounces) beer
1 chicken (31/2 to 4 pounds)
2 tablespoons All-Purpose Barbecue Rub or your favorite commercial rub 2 teaspoons vegetable oil

You'll also need: 2 cups wood chips or chunks (preferably hickory or cherry), soaked for 1 hour in water and/or beer to cover, then drained

Instructions
Pop the tab off the beer can. Pour half of the beer (3/4 cup) over the soaking wood chips or chunks, or reserve for another use. If cooking the chicken on the can, using a church key-style can opener, make 2 additional holes in its top. Set the can of beer aside.

Remove the packet of giblets from the body cavity of the chicken and set aside for another use. Remove and discard the fat just inside the body and neck cavities. Rinse the chicken, inside and out, under cold running water and then drain and blot dry, inside and out, with paper towels. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of the rub inside the body cavity and 1/2 teaspoon inside the neck cavity of the chicken. Drizzle the oil over the outside of the bird and rub or brush it all over the skin. Sprinkle the outside of the bird with 1 tablespoon of rub and rub it all over the skin. Spoon the remaining 1-1/2 teaspoons of rub into the beer through a hole in the top of the can. Don't worry if the beer foams up: This is normal.

Hold the bird upright, with the opening of the body cavity at the bottom, and lower it onto the beer can so the can fits into the cavity. Pull the chicken legs forward to form a sort of tripod, so the bird stands upright. The rear leg of the tripod is the beer can.

Tuck the tips of the wings behind the chicken's back. Set up the grill for indirect grilling and preheat to medium. If using a charcoal grill, place a large drip pan in the center. If using a gas grill, place all the wood chips or chunks in the smoker box or in a smoker pouch and preheat on high until you see smoke, then reduce the heat to medium.

When ready to cook, if using a charcoal grill, toss all of the wood chips or chunks on the coals. Stand the chicken up in the center of the hot grate, over the drip pan and away from the heat. Cover the grill and cook the chicken until the skin is a dark golden brown and very crisp and the meat is cooked through (about 180 degrees F. on an instant-read meat thermometer inserted in the thickest part of a thigh, but not touching the bone), 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours. If using a charcoal grill, you'll need to add 12 fresh coals per side after 1 hour. If the chicken skin starts to brown too much, loosely tent the bird with aluminum foil.

Using tongs, hold the bird by the can and carefully transfer it in an upright position to a platter.

Present the bird to your guests. Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes, then carefully lift it off its support. Take care not to spill the hot beer or otherwise burn yourself. Halve, quarter, or carve the chicken and serve.

Yield: 2 to 4 servings

ramminghard
04-08-2005, 06:50 PM
beer can chichen is very tasty

tictactoe2004
04-08-2005, 06:55 PM
all I can say is this...

I could do shot after shot of bullseye BBQ sauce.... mmmm god I love summer... I'm thinking about buying that INSANE BBQ from costco? Anyone know if these are any good? They're about $1000

69cougar
04-20-2005, 10:32 AM
No more BBQ ideas anyone??

:dunno:

legendboy
04-22-2005, 08:25 AM
here's last nights dinner :love:

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/dixon/bbq1.jpg

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/dixon/bbq2.jpg

habsfan
04-22-2005, 09:02 AM
^ that is some seriously nice looking dinner :drool:

fuck im hungry now

BerserkerCatSplat
04-22-2005, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by smartcar
How did you manage to keep the motor but wreck the spit? I have one somewhere (not sure where), the motor got ratched (left it out all winter), not sure where I put the spit, but I really can't imagine how you would wreck it.

Oh, I didn't wreck it. The BBQ had the motor on it when I got it, but the previous owner apparently lost the spit. :banghead:

If you come across your old spit, let me know! I'll take it off your hands post haste! :D

BerserkerCatSplat
05-07-2005, 02:28 PM
Bumpage, anyone try anything new lately?

paulsaddress5
05-08-2005, 08:36 PM
nope but wtf is that tomato thing that legendboy is sportin, looks damn good.

legendboy
05-09-2005, 08:31 AM
Thats a medium sized tomato, hollowed out a bit. Throw in some thinly silced garlic, pesto, freshly grated cheese, parsley, oregano, basil..(whatever taste you want) top it off with some parmesan and bake. Very tasty :drool:

AsianCaucasian
05-09-2005, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by legendboy
Thats a medium sized tomato, hollowed out a bit. Throw in some thinly silced garlic, pesto, freshly grated cheese, parsley, oregano, basil..(whatever taste you want) top it off with some parmesan and bake. Very tasty :drool:

I just got very... very... hungry... And it's 8:30 AM.

paulsaddress5
05-09-2005, 08:57 AM
cool ill have to give it a try

BigDannyCool
05-12-2005, 05:28 AM
BBQ'ers don't give away their techniques and recipes.

BerserkerCatSplat
05-12-2005, 01:00 PM
^Are you serious? It's not like we're competing here. I don't see the problem with passing along recipes.:dunno:

Gondi Stylez
05-24-2005, 09:53 AM
^^ looks like it is stuffed with chesse