PDA

View Full Version : Clay Bar

gggunit
04-07-2005, 07:50 PM
Do you clay your car once a year? or longer? Every spring I polish and wax my car and was wondering If I should be claying again this year

dj_Twin_turbo
04-07-2005, 07:55 PM
run you hand along the paint, if it doesn't feel smooth, time to claybar !

FiveFreshFish
04-07-2005, 08:03 PM
Twice a year.

STONER1
04-09-2005, 02:31 AM
most waxes only last 60 to 90 days waxing twice year is not good enough IMO but thats just me.

C4S
04-09-2005, 02:34 AM
Um .... once a year should be ok ..

If you park your car outdoor all the time ... can clay your car every 2 or 3 months.. :thumbsup:

dinglenuts
04-09-2005, 02:04 PM
where do you suggest buying a clay bar in calgary?

BokCh0y
04-09-2005, 02:08 PM
i've never clayed my car before but have heard about it. but what exactly does it do? and what are the benefits?

EDIT: NVM I found my answer.

Originally posted by Kor
http://www.advanceautoparts.com/english/youcan/html/ccr/ccr20030401cb.html

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=83152

gggunit
04-10-2005, 10:23 AM
^ BIG TIME.. makes your paint so smooth i mean ridiculsly (sp) smooth..

only thing is wont claying that much remove my clearcoat? or be bad for the paint.. (once a year)

A2VR6
04-10-2005, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by dinglenuts
where do you suggest buying a clay bar in calgary?

I think crappy tire has a few of them there, they do the job well! :thumbsup:

dinglenuts
04-10-2005, 10:55 AM
picked up mothers clay bar kit $24.00, mothers 3 step cleaner polish wax $38.00 I hope it turns out decent so I can stop freaking out about my crappy looking car.

gggunit
04-12-2005, 03:23 PM
Is there a place where you can just pick up the clay bar from? my clay bar is getting old and aint white any more..

Rahulio1989300E
04-22-2005, 11:58 PM
I personally recommend the Mother's bar, it comes with the Showtime spray which is basically a high lubricity fluid to help keep you car clean between washes.

Claying your finish is good because it removes things like industrial fallout that cannot be removed by regular washing...
Over time, this fallout can cause many problems such as oxidation...

What you are supposed to do it take your bar and flatten it like a silver dollar pancake... (3 to 4 inch diameter circle)

The Showtime Detailing spray is good for 3 things...

1.) Providing a very slippery surface for the clay to slide on, if you marr the clay bar against the finish of your car, sure you will clean it a bit faster, but you will be left with many large indentions in your clear coat....... so just spray enough Showtime spray to leave a nice thick coat of liquid on the car before gently gliding the clay over the surface of the paint.

2.) Helping you keep your car looking great between washes.. for example, my car is very heavy and the manufacturer has to use large brakes to stop the car...... this produces a lot of brake dust (at least the brake pads I have now do...) About 4 days after my weekly car wash, the front wheels already have a very visable layer of brake dust on them, this really ruins the whole clean look of the car since it is the only thing that looks dirty after 4 days! I take the Showtime stuff out of the trunk spray down the front 2 wheels and wipe clean...

3.) Bird poop, this organic crap (duh) is very bad for your paint, if left on for more than 7 days, it dries out and starts to eat away at your paint... At the first sign of bird poop, I go back to the trunk take out the Showtime detailing spray and towel, and clean away....

I am a very big fan of Meguiars products, but at Autozone and Pepboys in my area, they only carried the Mother's Clay kit...
(contains clay bar, paint cleaner, and Showtime deatiling spray)
@ Autozone for $15.99 before tax..... (in my area)

I will buy the Meguiars one next time, but I have heard that the white clay bar that originally came with the kits was not that great..

Meguiars now makes a red clay bar and a blue clay bar, They are the same thing except that I believe the red one is sold in a kit with the Meguiars Quik Detailing Spray. The blue bar is sold as a replacement (sold by itself).

Both the red and bluw Meguiar's bars are said to be the best out there.....

streetarab
04-28-2005, 07:51 PM
i was at a carshow and heard some old guys talkin about usin it on windshields and such, could i use it on my windshield? sounds like it would work but has anyone done this before?

gggunit
04-28-2005, 08:16 PM
^ yup use it on your windshield.. i used it on my head lights too

sullygully
05-05-2005, 10:53 PM
I just clay barred my car today for the first time ever, man what a work out! But the end result was pretty good. It took all the road tar and little contaminents off the paint, without marring the finish.
Although my car is riddled with rock chips and scratches, the clay bar was a good first stage in my long evening of polishing. After I clay barred I use mequires fine cut polish, and then finished with mequires swirl remover. It got dark before I could wax the car.
Does anyone know if I can still wash the car before I wax it, would it take off the polish that I spent all night working on?
I have mothers gold car wash, and I says it doesn't take wax off, so i'm hoping it doesn't take the polish off as well.

leutyc
05-16-2005, 03:22 PM
Where can i buy just the clay bar? Because i just bought the mothers kit and i wrecked the clay bar and need a replace ment... anyhelp please?

sullygully
05-16-2005, 09:06 PM
I believe UAP/NAPA sells them individually. Check the one out in the NE, I think thats where i saw it