PDA

View Full Version : Indiglo Gauges

djayz
04-09-2005, 12:42 AM
So after a few hours of work i finally got my guages installed...
unfortunatly they didnt turn out the way i thought they would. Now it might just be the way i hooked it up but i dont think it is.

Anyways i hooked the epicenter up to the dimmer output but obviously i wont use the dimmer. But its not as bright as the picture below shows...and when i change the color from teal to blue the epicenter makes this loud whining sound...is that normal?
and did i hook it up right or should i use a different power source?

another thing...i didnt read anywhere about not pulling off needles so i tried it on my rpm needle...now it wont move like its sitting too far in to move freely...but if i pull it up it moves freely but it keeps settling back down. I tried putting things behind it to keep it above the surface but it didnt work...Does anyone know how to fix it?

AG_Styles
04-09-2005, 12:59 AM
ok, i have installed and played around with many guages and even made my own custom ones.
ur tach sounds like it's done. cuz u pulled it out in a certain way, my old guages did that all the time if i pulled them out the wrong way. i couldn't repair them and had to get replacement gauges. most important thing in gauge installation for honda's is that u never wanna pull needles off. trust me. after 400 bucks worth of stock gauges on 2 diff cars, it's not worth it.
the whine sound u hear is normal. but u shouldn't be able to hear it unless ur alone in ur car with all doors closed, in ur closed garage at midnight when there's no other sound to be heard.
i hooked my guages for the civic up to the wires for my top dome light. the way my was built is that it came with it's own dimmer and color selector so i didn't have to worry about the OEM dimmer. whatever u do, u don't wanna adjust the OEM dimmer after. i haven't tried this yet, and i don't intend to just in case it messes up another one of my guages.
if u have more questions, pm me.

Weapon_R
04-09-2005, 01:15 AM
You shouldn't have touched the needles. Most of the time, after you pull the needles, you have to buy a new cluster to get it to work properly.

You can try and center the guage so it doesn't touch the needle and see if that helps.

djayz
04-09-2005, 01:21 AM
k well it was really quiet in the car which could explain the whine...but even with the music up at normal listening level i could still here it when i put it to a different color. at teal its quite but when it gets closer to blue it gets higher pitched

as for the tach...can i just replace the tach or do i need to replace the whole guage cluster?
and i tried adjusting the cars dimmer...just makes the guages flicker and then if you go to far itll cut almost all the power to the guages leaving them dim.

and yah i have the color selecter and dimmer on the guages itself but i dont want to turn my dome light on everytime i want my guages to light up...and i dont want my guages to light up everytime i open the door. I have the turn style stick on the left side of the steering wheel...

djayz
04-09-2005, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
You shouldn't have touched the needles. Most of the time, after you pull the needles, you have to buy a new cluster to get it to work properly.

You can try and center the guage so it doesn't touch the needle and see if that helps.

yah i didnt know...i thought you could just pull the needles off and push them back onto the spindle after...so much for that and i dont see why they dont make it like that or atleast put a little screw in the middle. I centered the guage and everything but no matter what the needles sits too low and drags.

If i pull the needle up its the right position but its too loose so it doesnt stay there it just sinks back down and drags. I dont know why its sinking back the other needles go in and out but they are a little tighter so when you pull them away from the guage they stay there..the tach needle you pull it and it stays for a bit but a little bit of movement and it just sits back and rubs...makes no sense i even tried pushing the needle back since i pulled it and i tried pulling it off but it wont move either way

AG_Styles
04-09-2005, 03:34 AM
everytime my needle did that, i've always had to buy a new gauge cluster (or u could just buy an after market one). i've had my speedometer messed up the same way, fuel gauge messed up the same way, temp gauge messed up the same way, tach messed up the same way. basically every gauge on the cluster i've messed up b4 lol. if u know a way to fix it, by all means. but every situation i've had like that, i always had to buy a new gauge cluster in the end. i know what u mean cuz it seems like the needle can be fixed and it's really annoying since i didn't really wanna shell out more for another cluster.

sorry, like i connected my gauges to the OEM gauge lights on the dash. i misworded what i said earlier. so my gauges light up whenever i turn the headlights on only.

for the whine, it would bug me if i could still hear it with the music on. i dunno, i think it might maybe be the gauges itself and not the installation? i bought mine off ebay and the whine is constant throughout the different colours and usually is really really quiet.

djayz
04-09-2005, 12:25 PM
k think im just gonna have to replace the tach.

as for hooking it up to when the headlights are turned on...i checked the current coming through that wire...it runs at 12 but as soon as i touch the wire for the indiglo guages it goes down to 6 and the guages dont light up...thats why i hooked mine up to the dimmer

Chiggles
04-11-2005, 01:20 AM
Yeah, wired mine through the dimmer's 12V constant (NOT the variable wire) and the ground of course. My inverter unit has a whiny hum to it as well, so I'm sure it's normal with all of them. If it bothers you too much, you can get some sound deadening material to insulate around it from a hardware store, or just crank up your music of course. :tongue:

djayz
04-11-2005, 10:19 AM
yah on the color i like its so loud and annoying i can still hear it throw my music...but since i work sometimes at night i cant really crank the music

but then again my exhuast kills a bit of the sound but when idleing it really bugs me

you think home depot would have some insulate?