PDA

View Full Version : Applying wax and using a buffer

STONER1
04-09-2005, 02:41 AM
I am starting my buisness tomorrow detailing cars, i have always been a perfectionist when it comes to detailg my own car, but now I am represneting myslef and I want to do the best I can for my customers.

1. I have heard mixed things about applying waxes
--some say to apply in circles
--some say to not apply in circles but in back and forth motion

2. Never used a buffer before to remove the wax and I heard that improper use can damage the paint, but I also heard that some buffers have a saftey mechanism that stop when you apply too much pressure, what is the proper way to use a polisher.

DuPont
04-09-2005, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by STONER1
I am starting my buisness tomorrow detailing cars, i have always been a perfectionist when it comes to detailg my own car, but now I am represneting myslef and I want to do the best I can for my customers.

1. I have heard mixed things about applying waxes
--some say to apply in circles
--some say to not apply in circles but in back and forth motion

2. Never used a polisher before to remove the wax and I heard that improper use can damage the paint, but I also heard that some polishers have a saftey mechanism that stop when you apply too much pressure, what is the proper way to use a polisher.

3. I also heard that leaving the wax stand too long will make it harder to remove, this I have found to be untrue the longer I have let my wax stand the easier it comes off and does not streak requiring me to wipe the area again.

1. "Waxes" aren't abrasive, and should be applied, not worked-in. Hand polish is still pretty lame, and will have to be rubbed in, or worked-in, in a circular motion.

2. if your removing "wax" with a machine, it should be a large, heavy, and random orbital buffer. In any case you shouldn't be applying any pressure. Always let the machine do the work, not you.
You sound like one of the many people who don't understand the difference between wax and polish. Wax is a non-abrasive protective coating that is applied with a random orbital buffer, or by hand. Polish is an abrasive that should be applied with a variable speed polisher in the hands of a professional for best results.

3. Letting wax dry to a haze, will be more effective than mushing moist wax around with your cloth. common sense. I could see letting wax dry overnight being a bitch to remove, but if your that stupid, you deserve the extra work.

DuPont
04-09-2005, 03:33 AM
btw, I'm half in the bag, so if anyhting I just typed doesn't make sense..... blame Captain Morgan.:drool:

gggunit
04-27-2005, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by DuPont

3. Letting wax dry to a haze, will be more effective than mushing moist wax around with your cloth. common sense. I could see letting wax dry overnight being a bitch to remove, but if your that stupid, you deserve the extra work.

Alot of high end sealants recommend that you leave it over night. like klasse sealant

djayz
04-27-2005, 05:16 PM
^^
its a good thing to leave it overnight but since this guys going to be running a business letting it sit on the polished car for about 30 minutes does the trick...plus if you wax regularly it shouldnt matter how long you keep it on

doesnt matter how you apply wax circles or back and forth as long as you wipe it off with a clean cloth in a circular motion you wont get streaks

LittleAngel
05-07-2005, 03:08 AM
if u hand polish a car it wont stay very long... you need to squirt it on the car and work it in, and dont work the power polisher in circles, do it in a side to side kind of way, if your polisher is all over the place, you will swirl the car really easy. but liek said above let the polisher do the work, unless you're trying to get out a scratch, then you will have to press hard

if you are just waxing, then just apply by hand and remove by hand, no power polisher needed.

bol
05-07-2005, 03:40 PM
I don't mean to be an ass but if you're starting a business detailing cars when you have no idea what you're doing... get real.

Good luck is all I can say!

No two polishes, waxes or sealants are alike.

izzoblitzo
05-12-2005, 01:00 AM
can someone tell me what good is the chamois for? I never used it simply because I had a car cleaning kit, but I recently got one, and it sticks to the car (it's really grippy) so why should I be using it? to clean the car, or to dry the car? it doesnt seem to be doing a very good job though.. but perhaps Im using it wrong.

Also, how does the wax work, I mean, you get the creamy stuff, apply it with say.. a sponge? then you use the buffer to clean it off? I bought a mechanical buffer last year, but I never really got to use it before winter hit.;)

on average, how long does everyone take to wash their car in the driveway? (and then wax it afterwards)

T-Dubbs
05-12-2005, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by izzoblitzo
can someone tell me what good is the chamois for? I never used it simply because I had a car cleaning kit, but I recently got one, and it sticks to the car (it's really grippy) so why should I be using it? to clean the car, or to dry the car? it doesnt seem to be doing a very good job though.. but perhaps Im using it wrong.

Also, how does the wax work, I mean, you get the creamy stuff, apply it with say.. a sponge? then you use the buffer to clean it off? I bought a mechanical buffer last year, but I never really got to use it before winter hit.;)

on average, how long does everyone take to wash their car in the driveway? (and then wax it afterwards)

chamois= dry the car only

?????
05-12-2005, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by izzoblitzo

A chamois is used to dry the car. Make sure you wet it and then ring it out. It dries better that way. Its sticking to the car because its new and theres too much water in it. When you feel it getting heavy and its not drying as well ring it out.
Wax creates a layer of protection over your paint. You used a sponge applicator (terry cloth material) not a regular sponge. You can use both a dry soft cloth or a mechanical buffer to take off the wax. You'll probably still have to go over it with a soft cloth after using the mechanical buffer just to get whatever is left over.
How long really depends on what you want to do and how dirty your car is. If its just a wash and wax i'd say 2 hours but if you wanna detail and clean every single part of your car it can take a whole day.