PDA

View Full Version : usb hubs

LUDELVR
04-10-2005, 07:37 AM
Can someone quickly educate me on the difference between a usb hub and one that is 2.0?

I was just wondering cuz I have only two usb ports on the back of my laptop, and I constantly alter back and forth between my cd burner, my webcam, the fan for my laptop and the cable for my digi cam.

I just recently bought a usb hub for 5 bux but it's not one that says 2.0 on it. As of right now, I have my fan plugged into one port and the usb hub plugged into the other one. Into the usb hub I'm running my external cd burner, my webcam and the cable for my digi cam.

My questions are first of all, will this slow my computer down? Will it only slow down if I'm running them all at the same time? I only plan on running one item at a time if that makes any difference.
Secondly, does this increase the delay in transfer from both the webcam or cd burner to the laptop itsel?

Thanks in advance you computer gurus.:thumbsup:

Charon
04-10-2005, 10:34 AM
Well first item you should check is the speed of your laptops usb ports. If they are 1.0 a 2.0 hub will do nothing for you. And if your devices are not 2.0 usb devices they will not be affected. But if your laptop is 2.0 and your device is 2.0 and your hub is 1.0. it will be slower. The burner may be 2.0, you should look up the model numbers and find out the speeds of everything you are using.
Another way plug something in. If you are using XP usually it will say. "you have a high speed device pluged into a non high speed ....whatever..."

pixil9
04-10-2005, 10:59 AM
i think USB 1.0 is 1 meg/second

LUDELVR
04-10-2005, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Charon

Another way plug something in. If you are using XP usually it will say. "you have a high speed device pluged into a non high speed ....whatever..."

Ahhh....good call. I just turned on my burner and it says that.
Doesn't happen with my webcam or the digi cam plug though. So I guess my laptop is pretty old then and is only 1.0 then right?:dunno:

soupey
04-10-2005, 08:14 PM
probably^

uve got it good, 2usb's, my older toshiba only has one:(

403Gemini
04-10-2005, 11:25 PM
usb 1.1 is 11 megs a second (or 12?) and usb 2.0 is potentially 480 megs a second

LUDELVR
04-11-2005, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
usb 1.1 is 11 megs a second (or 12?) and usb 2.0 is potentially 480 megs a second

Shit, that's a huge difference. In terms of time, what does that equate to? Cuz right now, for me to burn a cd it may take about 20 minutes to burn a full cd. Anyway, my biggest concern is speed with what I have now. Since I'm positive that it's a slower one (not a 2.0), it doesn't matter whether or not I get the usb 2.0 hub then, does it?

But again, since I"m running only one item at a time, it shouldn't make laptop run slower should it?:dunno:

GTS Jeff
04-11-2005, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by LUDELVR

Shit, that's a huge difference. In terms of time, what does that equate to? Cuz right now, for me to burn a cd it may take about 20 minutes to burn a full cd. Anyway, my biggest concern is speed with what I have now. Since I'm positive that it's a slower one (not a 2.0), it doesn't matter whether or not I get the usb 2.0 hub then, does it?

But again, since I"m running only one item at a time, it shouldn't make laptop run slower should it?:dunno:

To experience full 2.0 speed, you have to hook a 2.0 device up to a 2.0 port. If you hook up a 1.1 device to a 2.0 port or vice versa, you get 1.1 speeds. The connection can only go as fast as the slowest part.