PDA

View Full Version : Low Beams constantly on.

Kaos
04-10-2005, 02:54 PM
Everytime I turn on my car my low beams are always on (not my daytime running lights in my high beams).
No matter what position I turn my headlight switch.
I know that pre-94 BMW's have this function but I would really like to know if there is a way I can turn on my low beams manually, rather than automatically.

Can the US Spec DRL Module change this function? (make me turn on my headlights manually)

Does anyone have experience with this? I would really like to know because I want my new HID bulbs to last alot longer than my old ones.

T-Dubbs
04-10-2005, 03:10 PM
those are day time running lights
i think if u pull the right fuse, they will go off

three.eighteen.
04-10-2005, 03:27 PM
on the pre 94s the only way to get the low beams off is in the parking light position...dunno if that helps

and i do believe you are right about the US Spec DRL module, american guys swap theirs for the Canadian DRL modules for DRLs

Kaos
04-10-2005, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by RedDevil
those are day time running lights
i think if u pull the right fuse, they will go off

If I pull the fuse then I wont have working headlights at night.
I'd have to keep reinstalling them if I wanted them on.

j0nblayz
04-10-2005, 05:42 PM
i think the fuse was #25.. i'm actually gonna do the switch install today.. place a switch for the fuse.. that way you can turn off your light and on again with a switch.. give me a shout if you need any help..

bol
04-11-2005, 09:24 AM
The US headlight relay will turn the DRL's off. The part # is 61 35 8 370 510. I have one but it's not for sale.

Double check the part # before you order in case mine is not the one for your application.

Loose
04-11-2005, 10:57 AM
On my car the lights are ALWAYS on. Headlights, tail lights, and dashlights.

I wonder why...

bol
04-11-2005, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Loose
On my car the lights are ALWAYS on. Headlights, tail lights, and dashlights.

I wonder why...

the only thing I can think of is either your wiring is messed up from a poor alarm install or more likely that your headlight switch is broken.

Loose
04-11-2005, 11:38 AM
I will try to get to the bottom of it soon.

- car has a factory BMW alarm
- if the fog light button is pushed on, turning the fog lights will activate if the headlight are in the "on" position only.
- the car has an angel eye kit, and I have no idea how well it was intalled or if the intstaller hacked up the car in the process...

The joys of buying a modified used car...

bol
04-11-2005, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Loose
I will try to get to the bottom of it soon.

- car has a factory BMW alarm
- if the fog light button is pushed on, turning the fog lights will activate if the headlight are in the "on" position only.
- the car has an angel eye kit, and I have no idea how well it was intalled or if the intstaller hacked up the car in the process...

The joys of buying a modified used car...

yeah, the other thing i'd check out is go through the wiring diagram in the bently and see if there are any single areas where things could fail to cause the lights to turn on(ie a relay stuck open)

j0nblayz
04-11-2005, 03:07 PM
thats normal for you lights to all stay on.. any bmw 94 or before have this feature. It was a cheap way of doing DRL. mines a 94 and yes all the lights are always on no matter if the light switch is turn on or off.. does not effect anything. But as i stated before, put a fused switch into #25, and then you can turn off and on..

heres a shot of the fuse box with the wires

j0nblayz
04-11-2005, 03:08 PM
heres a shot where i placed the switch on my dash

j0nblayz
04-11-2005, 03:09 PM
heres a close up of the switch i used.

j0nblayz
04-11-2005, 03:10 PM
heres where i placed the wire thru the firewall, it ended up inside right above the carpet and right under the glove compartment..

Loose
04-11-2005, 03:11 PM
WTF. Why even have a light switch if it doesn't do jack? Are you SURE?

j0nblayz
04-11-2005, 08:23 PM
actually, light switch controls your high beam so it stays on, and also your fog lights to stay on