PDA

View Full Version : Race City NEW Pace Car

talonted
04-11-2005, 05:30 AM
Here's a peek for everyone at the new 2005 Race City Pace car. Some people may have seen it in the Herald lately. But here she is

googe
04-11-2005, 06:22 AM
wow thats a nice red X

Toms-SC
04-11-2005, 10:26 AM
Moral of the story: Instead of paving the track they got a new Viper.

benyl
04-11-2005, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Toms-SC

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

You would think that they would want to make the place nicer for the fans and the competitors. I guess the owner/manager just wanted a nice ride.

sputnik
04-11-2005, 11:07 AM
http://www.planetboredom.net/pix/data/thumbnails/2/i-cant-see-shit.jpg

Aleks
04-11-2005, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by sputnik
http://www.planetboredom.net/pix/data/thumbnails/2/i-cant-see-shit.jpg

GoChris
04-11-2005, 12:18 PM
i dont even see a red x, but if the place needs paving (i havent been there in ages) then ya that would have made more sense

bol
04-11-2005, 01:53 PM
$80k isn't going to pave much though, not that i agree with getting a viper however.

sputnik
04-11-2005, 01:55 PM
The Viper is probably leased. So its not like its an $80,000 capital purchase.

The money they will spend on the Viper this year will probably be about as much as it would cost to put a new coat of paint on the bleachers.

BumpinTalon
04-11-2005, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Toms-SC

a free car would have paid jack shit.. race city didn't pay a dime for that car, and to repave the track it would cost a couple million bucks

izzoblitzo
04-11-2005, 01:59 PM
it takes anywhere between $15,000-38,000 to renovate a 1,000sq ft basement labor and materials.. so painting the bleachers shouldnt be toooo expensive..

I think with the money they spent on the car, they shoulda spent it on painting the facilities, filling any cracks/holes on the track, and maybe painting the track with the tar stuff.

kenny
04-11-2005, 02:32 PM
Why does everyone think they went out and bought a Viper? LOL ever heard of sponsorships?

AllGoNoShow
04-11-2005, 02:36 PM
izzo actualyl we just finished our basement, 1000sq ft or so, 45g so yah its very pricey though.

izzoblitzo
04-11-2005, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by AllGoNoShow
izzo actualyl we just finished our basement, 1000sq ft or so, 45g so yah its very pricey though.

yeah, developing the basement is nuts. depending on who you get to do the work (like, maybe save some money by doing it yourself) and also the type of materials you use..

My uncle built a home with Shane last summer, and they charged him $38,000 to develop it along with the house.. I had my home built by Cardel last year, and they wanted a bit more per square foot to do it.. so I had a guy from work (i work for a condo developer) come and develop it for me.. all in all, it cost about $20,000 to do it.. and I had all the casings, trims, and special headers installed to match the rest of the house. Definately expensive, but more room to kick around in.. it pays off!!:D

2002civic
04-11-2005, 02:43 PM
the viper was donated, if you read the herald article youd know this, they didnt pay a cent for it so maybe find out the truth before bashing them saying the track should have been repaired instead

dieselpower91
04-11-2005, 02:53 PM
either way the track should be repaired though. It has gone to complete shit since I started racing there. It seems like half the time the timer things don't work properly. I race to get a proper time and try to beat it. Not get some piece of paper that says i ran 10.5@52mph.

BumpinTalon
04-11-2005, 03:04 PM
apparently gophers are what messes up the timing.. the one time there was a Top Fuel funny car there, everbody expected it to set a new track ET & MPH record but they got no time for it, so nobody had any idea what the car ran.. although it definitely would have set an ET record. since they completely wasted a run on the funny car (and all the money it costs to make one pass in a top fuel), the crew left, never to make another pass, and odds are we won't see another top fuel here for years and years.

Toms-SC
04-11-2005, 03:51 PM
So even with the donated viper, we are still left with a track that is in need of repair. :)

Toma
04-11-2005, 04:02 PM
45g's for a basement?? WHOA.

I tore out mine, re-framed, drywalled, and paid for mudding, new kitchen cabinets, island, jetted tub, carpet and lino.... $7000

gorillam
04-11-2005, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Toma
45g's for a basement?? WHOA.

I tore out mine, re-framed, drywalled, and paid for mudding, new kitchen cabinets, island, jetted tub, carpet and lino.... $7000

Yeah and I made my car into an enzo using $250 worth of fibreglass. Whoa Toma you're getting a little off topic, and 7g's no way unless you got seafoam green appliances, and installed yourself with your already owned tools.

BerserkerCatSplat
04-11-2005, 06:36 PM
Rumor has it that Race City will get a repave for free (or a severely reduced price) when they take the contract with the IHRA in the next few years. Calgary and Edmonton will both switch to IHRA due to lack of good events, and will each get a national event.

We may yet see the return of the Top Fuelers. I for one can't wait.

Toma
04-11-2005, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by gorillam

Yeah and I made my car into an enzo using $250 worth of fibreglass. Whoa Toma you're getting a little off topic, and 7g's no way unless you got seafoam green appliances, and installed yourself with your already owned tools.
Oh, and that included plumbing and electrical that I paid to have done.

Tools for framing, paint and drywall? Saw... $50. Tape measure, $3, electric drill, $30. Assorted bits $30. Olfa knife $9. Cheap paint roller kit $7.99. Level $15

Lino and carpet bought at an auction at liquidation world. (installed for cash by off duty Home depot employee)

You guys make it sound hard.

Used appliances of course (dishwasher, fridge, stove), used sink, all from habitat (like new condition)

Fluorescent fixtures from Totem, halogens from Ikea.

Generic kitchen cabinet with nicer doors from Totem.

Don't feel bad. The industry exists cause someone has to make some money....

Fuck, are you gonna shit when I tell you we just built a double garage at my buddies house for $8000 fom gravel to finished lol.

JAYMEZ
04-11-2005, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSpl
Rumor has it that Race City will get a repave for free (or a severely reduced price) when they take the contract with the IHRA in the next few years. Calgary and Edmonton will both switch to IHRA due to lack of good events, and will each get a national event.

Damnit your getting me excited for Auto X to soon LOL , ugh i want to track now!

knees scrapin'
04-11-2005, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by gorillam

Retail is a nasty word. It must be terrible to be a man and not have any hand skills.:dunno:

And yes the track is in dire need of attention.:D

AllGoNoShow
04-11-2005, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by Toma

Oh, and that included plumbing and electrical that I paid to have done.

Tools for framing, paint and drywall? Saw... $50. Tape measure, $3, electric drill, $30. Assorted bits $30. Olfa knife $9. Cheap paint roller kit $7.99. Level $15

Lino and carpet bought at an auction at liquidation world. (installed for cash by off duty Home depot employee)

You guys make it sound hard.

Used appliances of course (dishwasher, fridge, stove), used sink, all from habitat (like new condition)

Fluorescent fixtures from Totem, halogens from Ikea.

Generic kitchen cabinet with nicer doors from Totem.

Don't feel bad. The industry exists cause someone has to make some money....

Fuck, are you gonna shit when I tell you we just built a double garage at my buddies house for $8000 fom gravel to finished lol.

electrical was done by a buddy for cheap
Plumbing was predone
New insulation in some areas, new lining for insulation, new drywall, new paint, new metal casings and supports, next room, same thing, next room same thing, next room same thing, next room, same thing, redone window sills and security bars. Redone elctrical panel so I will stop blowing fuses when I throw stereo up. New carpet, new TV set, new fireplace brick and texture, new mantel, 2 new gas fireplaces w/ installation from store. New furniture, new tile at top of stairs, new carpet on stairs, new baseboards for everything, new doors for everything, + labour + supplies + little things = bigger bill.

Thats what happens when you want something done right and so it looks good too.

Any handy man could throw up a set of cabnets and paint and such, too finish a basement from head to toe done right very maticuously and NEW everything, costs money.

Just like anyone could paint the bleechers at Race City for a few bucks, but to do it right takes time and people who want to do it.

The people who complain about the bleechers, get your asses out there and offer to help get some guys together for abit and help Race City out. Half you people never fucking sit on them anwyays you all stand so it isnt going to matter if they paint them again, they will just have to do it in a year cause you will all be bitching.

talonted
04-11-2005, 11:21 PM
Race City would love to repave and rebuild everything. The onething is that just like everyone else there is a little thing called money. But im sure if anyone has a few million sitting around they would be very happy to repave and upgrade everything. The viper was quite a nice sponsorship deal with chrysler though

bol
04-11-2005, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSpl

The IHRA thing was supposed to be last fall and nothing really happened... from what I recal at least.

Plus from what I had been told is that the repave would ONLY be the dragstrip, nothing more... and that's because the IHRA requires concrete over pavement.

From what I had been told at least...

ninjak84
04-12-2005, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by 2002civic
the viper was donated, if you read the herald article youd know this, they didnt pay a cent for it so maybe find out the truth before bashing them saying the track should have been repaired instead

I think it's sweet that we have a Viper pace car.

Too many of you aren't part of the problem, but you aren't helping the solution. If you want to see Race City get better, then help it prosper. The community really needs to support the track.

Race your car, watch events, and buy a pop while you're there.

It's crazy to see how popular this forum is, but how few people show up for special events. :dunno:

BerserkerCatSplat
04-12-2005, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by bol

The IHRA thing was supposed to be last fall and nothing really happened... from what I recal at least.

Plus from what I had been told is that the repave would ONLY be the dragstrip, nothing more... and that's because the IHRA requires concrete over pavement.

From what I had been told at least...

Yes, the repave would be the dragstrip. It's logical when you consider that the spectator turnout for a national drag event would be quite higher than that of a local AutoX. But, if/when we get the good drag events, the ticket profits could be enough for an AutoX repave as well. Money leads to money in this business.

As for when this'll happen, no firm date has been set. Yes, I think you're right about last fall being the original date, but I think that Race City had some issues with track insurance. One of the big reasons for going to IHRA was that under the NHRA affiliation, they were forced to buy insurance directly through NHRA (and get hit bigtime in the pocketbook) just to stay a member. Thus, by moving to IHRA, Race City can buy cheaper insurance and save money that can be put to better use elsewhere. I think the reason that the changeover is taking so long is that Race City is having trouble setting up new track insurance. I'm not sure how track insurance contracts work exactly, it could be that Race City is stuck using their current insurance for a set period of time.