PDA

View Full Version : Diamond Appraisal in Calgary?

str8jkt
04-12-2005, 01:13 PM
Hi, just wondering if anyone knows of any places in Calgary that would be able to appraise a diamond for me.

I purchased a ring online and it came with an EGL certificate for the main diamond. I do not need another complete appraisal done but really just want someone to ensure that the diamond I received is the one listed on the EGL certificate.

Anyone know somewhere that would be able to help with this? I am hoping it won't be as expensive as a complete appraisal since I am only looking for confirmation that the diamond I received is what was sold to me.

Thanks in advance!

lint
04-12-2005, 02:10 PM
Is the diamond laser inscribed with an EGL number on the girdle that corresponds to the certificate? It it does, then you can just use a 10x or 14x magnifyer and read the number to make sure. Course this could be difficult if the diamond is set such that you can't read the number.

Call IGL (International Gemological Laboratory), they're a diamond appraiser in Calgary. They'd be able to give you some options.

str8jkt
04-12-2005, 02:20 PM
I don't believe EGL does laser inscriptions on their diamonds. I thought that was an AGS or GIA only thing. (I could be wrong though).

I have tried IGL and unfortunately it seems they are only open 9-5 on weekdays. This unfortunately doesn't work well with my schedule (seeing as I work during those times as well).

Wondering if there is anywhere else anyone knows of that might be open either a little later or possibly on weekends.

lint
04-12-2005, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by str8jkt
I don't believe EGL does laser inscriptions on their diamonds. I thought that was an AGS or GIA only thing. (I could be wrong though).

I have tried IGL and unfortunately it seems they are only open 9-5 on weekdays. This unfortunately doesn't work well with my schedule (seeing as I work during those times as well).

Wondering if there is anywhere else anyone knows of that might be open either a little later or possibly on weekends.

If you called IGL, did you tell them your situation? Maybe they would know if EGL inscribes? I tried to search on the net, and couldn't come up with a definative answer. I would believe that most grading laboratores would inscribe them.

str8jkt
04-12-2005, 02:35 PM
I can always give IGL a call back if needed to see if I can work something out. I also did a quick google search and it looks like you can get diamonds inscribed by EGL but its not done on the norm.

Thanks for the suggestions though lint.