PDA

View Full Version : Good Food in the Kensington Area

nekoi
04-12-2005, 06:53 PM
I am interested in any recommendation for good food around Kensington, the food can be from a sit down restaurant, deli, pizza place, ice cream store or any place that sell food. Since the weather is getting a lot nicer, I would like to walk around there and find some good food. Thanks

vcteggy
04-12-2005, 07:01 PM
Chicken On The Way

best food in kensington :thumbsup:

GucciBoy
04-12-2005, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by vcteggy
Chicken On The Way

best food in kensington :thumbsup:

lol, yes of course. Nothing better than dining on sunshine yellow seats and being served live chickens haha.

BebeAphrodite
04-12-2005, 07:22 PM
Jupiter is pretty good.

vcteggy
04-12-2005, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by GucciBoy

lol, yes of course. Nothing better than dining on sunshine yellow seats and being served live chickens haha.

you know you love the special, 4 pieces of chicken, 2 fried cornballs and a heart attack for only 5 bucks!

RSeXy
04-12-2005, 07:26 PM
Crave is on Kensington!

There's a lil tea shop "oolong tea house" that is pretty cool.

GucciBoy
04-12-2005, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by vcteggy

you know you love the special, 4 pieces of chicken, 2 fried cornballs and a heart attack for only 5 bucks!

haha damn rights! :thumbsup:

Speed_69
04-12-2005, 08:32 PM
has anyone tried that newer mexican place that replaced red robins?

mo_virgin
04-12-2005, 09:01 PM
yeah julio's... its good, though not nearly as good as the one in edmonton. Also the waitresses don't compare to the one in edmonton as well.

jdmakkord
04-12-2005, 09:17 PM
tandoori hut

BloodBaneZXY
04-12-2005, 09:33 PM
Maurya's ok too..

jaysas_63
04-12-2005, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by mo_virgin
yeah julio's... its good, though not nearly as good as the one in edmonton. Also the waitresses don't compare to the one in edmonton as well.

which one in edmonton: wem, or wyhte, the one in wem is terrible....

vcteggy
04-12-2005, 10:05 PM
If you want good pizza go to CPU its by grassroots and blockbuster, really cheap too, like 25 bucks for two large's with unlimited toppings

'93 SR-V
04-12-2005, 10:51 PM
I'd give Jupiter a try. I was there a while back and liked it. It's a little small and maybe a little hard to find (we went at night, as the door is on the side of this old building, but it's a cool place. Nice atmosphere, the menu looked good (we only had nachos), but the prices were decent and atmosphere was nice. They have an elevated patio that would be alright for drinks as well.

sputnik
04-13-2005, 06:59 AM
Verve... followed by Crave

Proyecto2000
04-13-2005, 08:29 AM
ya Julio Barrio's, pretty good food :thumbsup:

C4S
04-13-2005, 10:00 AM
My gf and I like to go to " TAKE TEN " <--- Cheap lunch ! :D

And there is a new ice cream place .. whatever gelato ... :thumbsup:

sputnik
04-13-2005, 10:02 AM
Take Ten is GREAT! Its a popular Sunday afternoon lunch for me and my friends.

sputnik
04-13-2005, 10:06 AM
I was at Julio's Barrio last weekend for my friends birthday. Pretty good food. I had the Chicken Chimichanga.

We had reservations for 9 but they only set up a table for 8 so they added a chair and we all had to squish together. They were very apologetic and the general manager gave us a bunch of free desserts. I dont mind when mistakes are made as long as they are quickly and politely resolved or compensated.

:thumbsup:

However, you can get the same quality food for a bit cheaper at Tecate Grill near Sunridge (in the Rona parking lot).

Impreza
04-13-2005, 12:53 PM
Muse is not too bad

BebeAphrodite
04-13-2005, 02:25 PM
holy.. I wonder how I forgot the Muse...
As for Julios, I agree, Tecate Grill is better tasting.

mo_virgin
04-13-2005, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by jaysas_63

which one in edmonton: wem, or wyhte, the one in wem is terrible....

The one on whyte ginger beef! smarten up... nothing at Wem is good.

t-im
04-13-2005, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Impreza
Muse is not too bad

:love:

Originally posted by BebeAphrodite
holy.. I wonder how I forgot the Muse...
As for Julios, I agree, Tecate Grill is better tasting.

When he said Ice cream, Pizza and Deli, I didn't think Muse would be in those catagories..yum yum yum

WWJAI
04-13-2005, 05:52 PM
crave is good but their some damn expensive cupcakes

Def_3
04-13-2005, 05:54 PM
Blue Danube, they have awesome creps, European style!!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

GTS Jeff
04-13-2005, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by jaysas_63

which one in edmonton: wem, or wyhte, the one in wem is terrible.... There's also one on Calgary Tr and one on 170th St...they both suck. The only good one in Edmonton is the new one on Whyte heh.

Actually there's a Julio's in Calgary at that ghetto mall on 16th Ave.

D. Dub
04-14-2005, 10:37 AM
Marathon Ethiopian restaurant on 10th St is really good...and interesting too.

I like eating with my fingers...its fun :thumbsup:

C4S
04-14-2005, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by sputnik
Take Ten is GREAT! Its a popular Sunday afternoon lunch for me and my friends.

:eek:

We go there on Sunday all the time !(when nice weather) the owner already know we are going to order !

May be we met before .. :D

nekoi
04-23-2005, 02:11 PM
I tried out three places in this couple of weeks.

Peppino - I just tried their pistachio gelato and I've to say that it does not even have any pistachio taste... all I found was some pistachio bits in the gelato

Fiasco - disappointing, I tried their peach, kiwi, pistachio, and chocolate gelato. All the gelato I tasted felt like it was made with syrup and not real ingredients....
:thumbsdow

Chicken on the Way- the chicken is quite good although a bit too salty. I would not get their combo again as I did not like their fries and corn fritter. My fries was soggy...

Anyways, I have never been able to find gelato in Calgary that can compare to the one that I had in Vancouver.

jaysas_63
04-23-2005, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by nekoi
I tried out three places in this couple of weeks.

Peppino - I just tried their pistachio gelato and I've to say that it does not even have any pistachio taste... all I found was some pistachio bits in the gelato

Fiasco - disappointing, I tried their peach, kiwi, pistachio, and chocolate gelato. All the gelato I tasted felt like it was made with syrup and not real ingredients....
:thumbsdow

Chicken on the Way- the chicken is quite good although a bit too salty. I would not get their combo again as I did not like their fries and corn fritter. My fries was soggy...

Anyways, I have never been able to find gelato in Calgary that can compare to the one that I had in Vancouver.

the gelatos they use to have in that ice-cream shop at eau claire aren't that bad, but once uve had the real shit; the stuff in canada just doesn't compare

slick2404
11-12-2007, 07:14 PM
wow bumping old thead....

anyways, has anyone been to TEN in kensington. I think its right across Julios.

adamc
11-12-2007, 07:43 PM
chicken on the way is heavenly..

also Broken Plate for the best greek in the city.

blainer
11-12-2007, 07:49 PM
amato gelato right before 20st is very good ice cream, tons of flavors, beats licks without a doubt
-blaine

Civic99
11-12-2007, 11:38 PM
sharwma stop is pretty good too haha pretty friendly

Lucky97
11-12-2007, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by RSeXy
Crave is on Kensington!

There's a lil tea shop &quot;oolong tea house&quot; that is pretty cool.
:thumbsup: +1

HybridTheory
11-13-2007, 12:01 AM
Amato Gelato is awesome, so many good flavors.

Broken Plate is very good as well. I had great service the last time I went there.

For a coffee shop, Higher Ground is my fave. It's very cozy in there. I'm usually there every other weekend.

Lucky97
11-13-2007, 12:03 AM
river front cafe is pretty good too. my friend works there

msommers
11-13-2007, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by adamc
also Broken Plate for the best greek in the city.

Santorini's on centre is much better, however I can't remember how the prices compare. Try it if you haven't already :)

The House is a chill place for a coffee/tea and a sandwich type deal. Sometimes have live music.

Molly Malones has great burgers, serves crownfloats :drool: but I find their service not the greatest.

Julio Barro's is ok in my books. Had a chicken, rice and beans meal and made me never want to eat there again. Maybe other things are different.

Really enjoyed Marathon last time I went.

Shwarma Station is awesome and the guy running it is as friendly as they get. Although they have been shut down by Calgary Health Region.....but really which donair/shwarma place hasn't:rofl:

Impreza
11-13-2007, 02:37 AM
I find Julio's entrees to be "ok" at best. It's a great place for drinks and snacking type foods like nachos though

borN
11-14-2007, 02:33 AM
CHARLIE CHAN'S!

winterkiss
11-18-2007, 05:27 AM
Originally posted by borN
CHARLIE CHAN'S!

haha I've worked there before. For western chinese food, it is pretty good tho.

There's alot of good restaurants in Kensington, rent is expensive so it has to be pretty decent to stay around.

I've pretty much grown up there so here's how I see it:

Julio's - not great food/expensive for mexican - I dont like it there...last time I was there, there was kids bussing tables?
Broken Plate - very good greek/great service/ great date spot
Muse - very good continental/fusion/ great date spot/ love it there
Indochine Bistro - cleanest vietnamese joint/lots of flat screens for the boys n their sports/been to all the other Pho places in kensington and this is my choice spot in kensington
Tibet on 10th - the only Tibetan restaurant in calgary/pretty good but it's tiny like 6 tables?
Nellies - breakfast spot/i dig it
CPU - best veggie pizza by the slice
shawarma king - love the baklava there
Take Ten - nothin special, good "too lazy to cook" spot, burgers etc., not my thing

If I was to recommend any place to eat in kensington, it would be the muse: beautiful luxe atmosphere without being too stuffy, good wines, great innovative food, this place is a gem that I like to whip out for special occasions

There's a couple new restaurants that sound interesting: Niko's by the cheese shop and sultan's tent (moroccan) corner of 14st & kensington rd and TEN lounge across from Julio's (this space has changed restaurants soooooo many times over the years, even the Verve didn't do well, I think it's cursed)

toyboy88
11-18-2007, 11:24 AM
Globefish! :D