PDA

View Full Version : Not to kick a dead horse but.......

69cougar
04-12-2005, 08:13 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=83434

notice how no where did he say how the probles were resolved?

Toms-SC
04-12-2005, 08:45 PM
Yea, the admins should have deleted the shitty posts and kept the thread. Oh well, live and learn

Kirbs17
04-12-2005, 08:49 PM
Its like the little proclaimer at the start of TV opinion shows and other shit like that "The members here at beyond do not support the viewpoints held by our paying sponsors"

Weapon_R
04-12-2005, 09:04 PM
I closed the thread, so i'll elaborate. Revert back my original comment to see that there were no intentions of closing it as long as the conversation and discussion were kept civil.

The thread was closed after a series of issues arose that were not part of the original argument. Allegations that are unsubstantiated, and unrelated to your original complaint ruined the whole point of the thread. As with all threads, if they can be kept civil, they'll stay open - but when it turns into a gongshow, it's going to be closed.

Editing 90% of an entire thread is not a really attractive option either.

ninjak84
04-12-2005, 09:49 PM
I don't see what the point of carrying on is.

You accused him of bringing in 2 salvaged cars.
He admitted it, and said it would never happen again.
Yes it's bad business and unethical. If it happens again, then you can put them out of business (BBB) and that'll be the end of it.

What else are you looking for? :dunno:

Nav13
04-12-2005, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by ninjak84

Yes it's bad business and unethical. If it happens again, then you can put them out of business (BBB) and that'll be the end of it.

exactly. I know the owner of hotwheels and hes an awsome guy. My friends have done a lot of business thru him and everytime they are more then happy. Every business makes mistakes, or has bad service with a customer here and there.

Proyecto2000
04-13-2005, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by ninjak84

:werd:

remember when you buy any used car always do soem research before buying it. get the VIN checked and take it to a mechanic if you are spending alot of money

tictactoe2004
04-13-2005, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by 69cougar
Why is an unethical dealer allowed to advertise here??

Anyone??

There can be a good used car salesman and there can be a sleazy used car salesman, but when has anyone ever heard the words "ethical" and "honest" in the same sentance as "used car salesman".

Any business has the right to advertise anywhere they want to. They are a business, they are there to buy cars at a cheap price, and sell them for a profit. They get people like you and me in the door by these ad's. Do you think that they know every detail about every car they have ever had? My guess would be no. If they say something about a car that is not true, you are not obligated to purchase from them, and you have every right to tell your friends and family that they should not purchase from them either... But just like you have that right, they have the right to advertise where they want to advertise.

If your blowing tens of thousands of dollars on ANY purchase, do your homework, plain and simple. Take the car for an inspection and check with the registries as well as carfax. The $200 total that this will cost you is nothing compared to the total purchase price... If you do not do all of those things, as shitty as it can be if you get screwed, you cannot blame anyone other than yourself.

A790
04-13-2005, 10:20 AM

Anyone??

Please keep the racist shit out of this thread it was going good till it got off topic. Mods I am not trying to stir up a hornets nest it is just that this issue really bugs me.

What else do you want from this company?

If you had a bad experience, or someone you know had a bad experience, sorry about it. You established that in your last thread. The community is well aware of your issue, there is no need to continue it.

There are people that have had bad business with them, and good business with them (myself included) and the debate will continue based on those two points.

I am certain that they are not the only dealership to carry vehicles with a salvage title etc. I've heard of horror stories from Honda West, GSL Chev City, Calgary Hyundai Suzuki etc. etc. that are all along the same merit as the point you are trying to raise.

awd
04-13-2005, 10:22 AM
I think it is worse that the guy was accused of being a racist and a thief -- slander in my opinion.

And regarding the mods, I moderate on a couple un-related forums and the constant editing/deleting of posts in much too time consuming -- much easier to lock it up or just delete the whole thing.

fachie
04-13-2005, 10:29 AM

Anyone??

Please keep the racist shit out of this thread it was going good till it got off topic. Mods I am not trying to stir up a hornets nest it is just that this issue really bugs me.

69COUGAR:

My name is Justin and I am the owner of Hotwheels Automotive. I really dont see how out of the hundreds of vehicles in the last year only 2 make me unethical. I fully admit 2 and only 2 vehicles out of 300 had a U.S salvage title. Unfortunatly these were learning experences for not only myself but AMVIC as well. If you check through the Alberta or any government registry these vehicles do not show any titles. Thank you for bring this up because it is a serious concern not only to the buying public but any dealer who is accepting these vehicles on trade or purchasing them from wholesalers. Like I have said before, we did not bring these cars into Canada and they were bought at repitable car shows around Canada. As for the future we have learned from these mistakes and continue to only market Canadian Vehicles. I hope this clears things up for you Cougar69 and you can move on because we are really not a shady business and you should really come down to see for yourself. As any business, last year was our first and each and every day we also learn to enhance what we are doing. I have noticed alot of people on Beyond slamming each and every business as well as ones we deal with day in, day out. JDM. T&T HONDA, SPEEDTECH, ETC ETC. Every company has its good and bad parts but it seems you just want to jump in and slam them for anything without proper info or 2nd hand hearsay. I appreciate the constructive critsism but next time give us a call or come by before posting it all over a public website that we sponsor to keep people like you entertained.

Thanks

sputnik
04-13-2005, 10:35 AM
I looks like someone deleted a bunch of posts in the other Hotwheels thread that shows this....

First look here. ($30,000 in mods + car, 30,000 km, selling for $20,000)

http://www.hotwheelsauto.com/product_view.php?id=305

Then look here. ($15,000 budget build (including price of car), 242,000 km, sold for $6800)

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6256&item=4527362867

This isnt just "the car might be worth that much to someone" or "we got it for a steal and we're just selling it for what its worth". This is blatent lying and deception about the history, value and mileage of the vehicle for sale. I have no experience dealing with HotWheels but this alone will keep me away.

Buyer beware.

awd
04-13-2005, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by sputnik
I looks like someone deleted a bunch of posts in the other Hotwheels thread that shows this....

Then look here. ($15,000 budget build (including price of car), 242,000 km, sold for $6800)

This isnt just "the car might be worth that much to someone" or "we got it for a steal and we're just selling it for what its worth". This is blatent lying and deception about the history, value and mileage of the vehicle for sale. I have no experience dealing with HotWheels but this alone will keep me away.

Buyer beware.

Wow, I feel stupid for feeling bad for the guy -- thanks for the heads up Sputnik, I would never deal with this company.

abyss
04-13-2005, 10:42 AM
yikes! :eek: thanks for the heads up Sputnik, I'm sure a few younger members on the forum could definately benefit from info like that!

awd
04-13-2005, 10:44 AM
I am curious to see Danny's explanation for this blatant rip-off.

civicrider
04-13-2005, 10:46 AM

Buyer beware.

thats an interesting find, makes me wounder.
but cougar why do you keep trying to reopen this topic, its going no where so i think it would be a good idea if you didnt bring it up again, this thread should be closed and never reopend because it will not solve anything and just cause trouble.

sputnik
04-13-2005, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by civicrider

thats an interesting find, makes me wounder.
but cougar why do you keep trying to reopen this topic, its going no where so i think it would be a good idea if you didnt bring it up again, this thread should be closed and never reopend because it will not solve anything and just cause trouble.

Personally I think that the previous post was ruined with the "racist slurs" arguement.

If hotwheels wants a good reputation they need to build it by honest sales or proper handling of disputes. If they were able to compensate the people with "salvage" vehicles or own up to the cars that "exploded" days after leaving the lot then they would get the respect they deserve.

However making excuses and demanding proof are pretty poor examples of how NOT to handle customers. Especially on something like Beyond where there are potentially over 10,000 import enthusiasts located in Calgary reading these forums.

The red Civic example is just another example of their integrity. Granted they might sell some decent cars, but do you really want to support someone who takes advantage of those that neglect to go through the proper inspection/evaluation process?

fachie
04-13-2005, 11:15 AM

Buyer beware.

wow you guys never stop. we did not buy that car off ebay. that price of 30,000. does not include alot of labour labour that has been done to the car. we were told the car had $30,000 of parts and labour. we can not sit on the internet and search for hours doing research on every car we buy. the motor has been rebuilt and thats why we wrote 30,000 kms. the odometer is still the original so we clearly are not lying about the kms. and we did not pay that price for the car. the reason we put it up for such a high amount of cash is because we were doing v8less and wanted to keep it for the show. we had to cancel the show and we have now marked the car down in price. I hope this clears up this "blatent lying" that we are constantly acused of doing.

sputnik
04-13-2005, 11:23 AM
Was the engine rebuilt locally? Was it blueprinted and are receipts of the work available.

Given that the car was sold on eBay only 7 weeks ago (to someone else who sold it to you) it sure seems like you must have been on a really tight schedule.

How do you put 30,000 km on a show car in the winter in 6 weeks?

fachie
04-13-2005, 11:39 AM
ive just been informed that the engine is JDM and came in shipping with that amount of kms.

rage2
04-13-2005, 11:53 AM
Justin, just want to commend you on handling this nicely. As a note for everyone that's attacking hotwheels, ALL used car shops suffer from this problem. Previous owners lie, and things gets overlooked, especially with a lot of different cars moving in and out of the shop. It even happens to dealerships!

I bought my 87 Integra from Silverhill Acura, and it was previously written off. Didn't know until I curbed the car and went to fix it at a 3rd party shop. Silverhill never told me, learned my lesson, when buying a used car, CHECK IT YOURSELF before commiting on the purchase.

Toms-SC
04-13-2005, 12:08 PM
wow, just wow

civicrider
04-13-2005, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Justin, just want to commend you on handling this nicely. As a note for everyone that's attacking hotwheels, ALL used car shops suffer from this problem. Previous owners lie, and things gets overlooked, especially with a lot of different cars moving in and out of the shop. It even happens to dealerships!

I bought my 87 Integra from Silverhill Acura, and it was previously written off. Didn't know until I curbed the car and went to fix it at a 3rd party shop. Silverhill never told me, learned my lesson, when buying a used car, CHECK IT YOURSELF before commiting on the purchase.

yeah people are making it seem like hotwheels are the only ones with these kinda problems. its alreadys been discussed you dont need to keep bringing it back. you cant hold a shop responsible because you didnt do research on the car before you made the purchase.

Aleks
04-13-2005, 12:19 PM
So what if they are selling the Civic for 20K? I've seen 4 year old civics on here with "fancy" body kits with 28K asking prices. As far as 15K vs 30K investment goes so what? Maybe it's labour maybe it's some other factors.
The accusations of lying and deceit are common in the used car business. No dealer is without some faults. I mean any dealer I go to and ask for the history it's always the same story:.. "uh it's a trade in, and we don't know from where from who or anything else:...

My suggestion: Check out any car before you buy it. Go on Carfax, go to Alberta Registries, have it inspected. I wouldn't trust my best friend when buying used!

Toms-SC
04-13-2005, 12:23 PM

yeah people are making it seem like hotwheels are the only ones with these kinda problems. its alreadys been discussed you dont need to keep bringing it back. you cant hold a shop responsible because you didnt do research on the car before you made the purchase.

This is a public forum, I am glad this was brought up in such a mature manner. As for this being 'bought back', other people can come forward with their experiences. Look what sputnik found. As for 'research', these forums are a research tool, just look at what has been found out. :thumbsup:

Toms-SC
04-13-2005, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Aleks
So what if they are selling the Civic for 20K?
It would be like me buying your car for $30,000, and selling it a day later for $40,000. I believe its called 'curbing'.

For those who went to the swap meet in Red Deer, they caught this effect first hand. If a good deal was to be found, table B would buy the product from table A for $100. Table B would sell the product 5 minutes later for $185. Although not illegal, its pure greasy.

fachie
04-13-2005, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Toms-SC

It would be like me buying your car for $30,000, and selling it a day later for $40,000. I believe its called 'curbing'.

For those who went to the swap meet in Red Deer, they caught this effect first hand. If a good deal was to be found, table B would buy the product from table A for $100. Table B would sell the product 5 minutes later for $185. Although not illegal, its pure greasy.

Its called BUSINESS. Buy at wholesale, sell at retail.

civicrider
04-13-2005, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Toms-SC

This is a public forum, I am glad this was brought up in such a mature manner. As for this being 'bought back', other people can come forward with their experiences. Look what sputnik found. As for 'research', these forums are a research tool, just look at what has been found out. :thumbsup:

thats the problem it wasnt mature, instead of checking with the company to see if it was true, the blab on here scaring possible customers with false ideas. some may have some truth, but before you post something maybe check in private with hotwheels to find out about the situation. what sputnik found is false like danny said they did not buy it off ebay. and the situation with the salvage cars is the buyers fault as well they are responsible for checking the background of the car before they buy it. thats like you buying wheels without knowing hte lug pattern and then blaming the shop for not checking to see if those are the right ones for you. its your responsiblity, its nice when a business does that work for you but you cant expect that, your setting yourself up for trouble IMO

lastprodigy
04-13-2005, 12:55 PM
i never knew ebay was a car wholesaler:rolleyes:

fachie
04-13-2005, 12:56 PM
thats not what "curbing" is at all... its profit. how do you expect a business to make $$$.

fachie
04-13-2005, 12:58 PM
As we said, we didnt buy it from ebay. How many cars do you know with turbo, DVD, playstation etc for under $20000.00. NONE!! We are selling the car for $14995.00 so I dont know where this $20000.00 keeps coming up. We had it listed at $19995.00 to keep the calls down before it came in We were honestly going to keep it for shows or a company car but now are selling it. Let me know if you want it. lol

fachie
04-13-2005, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by lastprodigy
i never knew ebay was a car wholesaler:rolleyes: lol... you didnt. and not just for cars. ebay wholesales all kinds of things.:nut:

BerserkerCatSplat
04-13-2005, 01:00 PM

what sputnik found is false like danny said they did not buy it off ebay.

What Sputnik found isn't exactly false. It IS the same car, but Hotwheels must have bought it from whoever got it off of Ebay. Either way, the major discrepancies in mod $ value and milage were the points in question, not whether Hotwheels bought it off of Ebay. I couldn't care less where they got it, as long as the provided information is correct. At the moment, it's a bit sketchy. Why would they sell it as a "Celebrity Car" if they've swapped out the engine for a JDM? (Not to mention there's no reference on the site to the engine being JDM)

tictactoe2004
04-13-2005, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by danny@hotwheels

the motor has been rebuilt and thats why we wrote 30,000 kms. the odometer is still the original so we clearly are not lying about the kms.

then two posts later once you realize that story doesnt work, you find out its a JDM motor? So you write 30,000K on your ad, but the car has over 200,000K ?? but your not hiding anything? wow... that sounds like a BS story to me....

If I owned a car dealership and just bought a car like that, i'm sure I would remember what kind of motor I put in it.... But I guess since your not hiding anything, and since people here are so curious about you... you'd be ok with some people coming down to look at the car to see if your full of it or not, right?

Imagination
04-13-2005, 01:08 PM
How many cars do you know with turbo, DVD, playstation etc for under $20000.00. NONE!!
evidently this car did for the selling price of 6800 :dunno:

lastprodigy
04-13-2005, 01:10 PM
^ so i put a dvd player and turbo on an 79 civic and its worth $20K...will you buy it :rolleyes:

sputnik
04-13-2005, 01:10 PM
We are selling the car for $14995.00 so I dont know where this $20000.00 keeps coming up. We had it listed at $19995.00 to keep the calls down before it came in.

:rolleyes:

"Not For Sale" is usually a good way of not selling a car.

Its like the million dollar hotdog. Just gotta sell one.

tictactoe2004
04-13-2005, 01:14 PM
So when did the price drop to 15K??

BokCh0y
04-13-2005, 01:14 PM

Buyer beware.

holy.......don't think i'll be heading to hotwheels now.......thanks for the 411 pal.

defiantely buyer beware!!!!!!!!!

sputnik
04-13-2005, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by tictactoe2004

Sometime between this morning and now.

abyss
04-13-2005, 01:18 PM

SHAAADYYYYY.........makes you think twice anyways.....

*edit* If the car was not going to be sold why put it on the website anyways? Higher price or not.

tictactoe2004
04-13-2005, 01:25 PM

If your blowing tens of thousands of dollars on ANY purchase, do your homework, plain and simple. Take the car for an inspection and check with the registries as well as carfax. The $200 total that this will cost you is nothing compared to the total purchase price... If you do not do all of those things, as shitty as it can be if you get screwed, you cannot blame anyone other than yourself.

Is it too late to add "Check on ebay" to the above list?

:eek:

googe
04-13-2005, 01:45 PM
"i dont know where this 20000 keeps coming up"

dude, it was on your website not more than a few hours ago haha! what do you mean you dont know where it came from? :nut:

awd
04-13-2005, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by googe
"i dont know where this 20000 keeps coming up"

dude, it was on your website not more than a few hours ago haha! what do you mean you dont know where it came from? :nut:

LOL.

rage2
04-13-2005, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSpl
Either way, the major discrepancies in mod $ value and milage were the points in question, not whether Hotwheels bought it off of Ebay. I couldn't care less where they got it, as long as the provided information is correct. At the moment, it's a bit sketchy.
It's called marketing. As long as he didn't roll the odometer back, it's fine.

Some of you guys seem to just want to attack hotwheels personally. Dunno why.

max_boost
04-13-2005, 02:10 PM

It's called marketing. As long as he didn't roll the odometer back, it's fine.

Some of you guys seem to just want to attack hotwheels personally. Dunno why. :werd:

That's all I'm really gathering from reading this thread.

It's greasy to buy something for cheap and sell it at a higher price? LOL That's some of the dumbest shit I've ever heard of in my life. Its the car business and applies to any other facets of buying/selling, happens all the time, regardless if it's individuals or companies as a whole.

If there are discrepancies between the numbers, mileage, price, $ invested etc. That's why you do your homework, search and find the complete history of the car.

There is absolutely no need to call out a business and say they are blatantly lying about something, how do you know?

Hotwheels has been very professional in handling all of this, good job. Some of you need to jump off the bashing bandwagon.

Imagination
04-13-2005, 02:10 PM
yes it's called marketing and it's the same concept as buying a car from an auction. clean it up. tune up and sell for thousands more. ALL dealerships do this and we all know this. but it's not wrong for others to inform others of when we know that you're not getting what you're paying for. i know the owner of hotwheels personally and i have personal reason why i wouldn't deal with his company. i also have good friends who are in this type of business and wouldn't purchase from them either.

rage2
04-13-2005, 02:24 PM
haha then you shouldn't buy a new car either. By law, if a new car gets damaged during shipping, unless it's a write off, it doesn't have to be disclosed. I've seen a new BMW get wrecked during shipping, $15k worth of damage, repaired, sold brand new as a brand new car.

All dealers do this. Chances are, the new virgin car you bought at the dealership has been spotpainted before ;).

As for informing others, it's fine, that's why we don't remove threads like this. I just have a problem with a few that seems to be making it personal, that's all.

Primer_Drift
04-13-2005, 02:39 PM
^^^
I dunno about it being fine for a supplier to not disclose the product you are buying has been damaged.. infact I believe it is illegal

Alberta Fair Trading Act (1999)
Division 1, Section 6, subsection 4-g
Unfair Practices
"(g)a supplier's representation that goods are new if they are
used, deteriorated, altered or reconditioned"

There is a lot that could be considered illegal when it comes to the interpretation of our laws designed to protect the consumer. Blatantly not disclosing the product has been damaged and repaired, and sold as new should be considered fraudulant.

rage2
04-13-2005, 02:50 PM
The car was damanged, but repaired. So, in essence, it wasn't used, deteriorated, altered, or reconditioned. And yes it's true... ask any close friend who's honest with you and worked in the new car industry before.

Have you ever bought a new car and they told you they had to spot paint it? :) Now drive by some of the auto body shops that does work for dealerships. There's one close to Maranellos and you see absolutely NOTHING but new Fords from dealerships going in there to get repaired from shipping damage. They all go in with their protective sheets there too hehe.

I was shocked as well when I first heard about it, but it's perfectly legal (I was told anyways).

Imagination
04-13-2005, 02:53 PM
^ that's true. i have family members in the autobody business and more than 80% of their work is from the dealership.

t-im
04-13-2005, 02:56 PM
haha then you shouldn't buy a new car either. By law, if a new car gets damaged during shipping, unless it's a write off, it doesn't have to be disclosed. I've seen a new BMW get wrecked during shipping, $15k worth of damage, repaired, sold brand new as a brand new car.

All dealers do this. Chances are, the new virgin car you bought at the dealership has been spotpainted before ;).

As for informing others, it's fine, that's why we don't remove threads like this. I just have a problem with a few that seems to be making it personal, that's all.

So persay it's been wrecked with 15k damage (at the most extreme) and they fix it up, would it be fixed "up to snuff" (like it was brand spakin' new from the factory) or would you be able to tell if you brought it for some sort of inspection?

rage2
04-13-2005, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by t-im
So persay it's been wrecked with 15k damage (at the most extreme) and they fix it up, would it be fixed "up to snuff" (like it was brand spakin' new from the factory) or would you be able to tell if you brought it for some sort of inspection?
Oh you'd be able to tell haha. I noticed it just looking at the car because the fender gap seems to be a bit off, asked a friend who worked there, and he said "good eye" hehe.

The damage can be REALLY extreme too. I mean, new cars don't lose value off the bat, and needs almost 100% damage to be written off :eek:. If there's a sucker to buy it, it'll get sold. The BMW got leased at a discounted rate ;).

Redlyne_mr2
04-13-2005, 03:16 PM
OK this thread is getting a bit off topic but to set the record straight the dealer is responsible to disclose the nature of any damage that they vehicle may have incured. If the vehicle is sold to the customer AS IS then thats another matter but no new vehicle is ever sold as is. There is a point though where they don't have to disclose repair info for example if the fender has a ding or scratch touched up, then that can be considered a detail job rather than a repair.

What happens if a customer leases a unit that has been severally damaged then brings it back at the end of the lease term and the dealer does a condition report and they find evidence of damage? then what? What happens if a serious issue with the vehicle arrises and the manufacturer decides not to honor the warranty because of an accident? Of course it has to be disclosed.

Primer_Drift
04-13-2005, 03:16 PM
Haha refer to my first post.. and thesaurus.com on the meaning of "recondition"
I would (and I'm sure a claims court would also) consider repairing a damaged vehicle with parts that did not come with the original product to be altering, or reconditioning a product ; And when sold as new thats illegal for sure despite what you were told. Interesting to see a BMW dealer doing something as crooked as that.:guns:

Alberta Fair Trading Act (http://www.qp.gov.ab.ca/Documents/acts/F02.CFM)

But yes sorry for the off topic posts - back on topic to a mature discussion

rage2
04-13-2005, 03:33 PM
The damaged vehicles got repaired with BMW parts. All factory parts. All I'm saying is, your new car that you bought maybe repaired already and you don't even know it. So when buying new or used cars, it's up to you to check everything.

The dealership does have to disclose the information IF you ask. They can't say, no it's never been repaired. You can ask them when buying a new car if it was damaged at all during shipping and sent out for repairs. Then, and only then, do they need to tell you.

sabad66
04-13-2005, 03:54 PM
I know this is off topic, and that it wasn't you who personally closed the thread, but what about this one? http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76959

rage2
04-13-2005, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by sabad66
I know this is off topic, and that it wasn't you who personally closed the thread, but what about this one? http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76959
The thread wasn't removed. It's still there for everyone to read. Search google, it'll come up too. What's your point?

Redlyne_mr2
04-13-2005, 04:17 PM
The damaged vehicles got repaired with BMW parts. All factory parts. All I'm saying is, your new car that you bought maybe repaired already and you don't even know it. So when buying new or used cars, it's up to you to check everything.

The dealership does have to disclose the information IF you ask. They can't say, no it's never been repaired. You can ask them when buying a new car if it was damaged at all during shipping and sent out for repairs. Then, and only then, do they need to tell you.
You're all about looking for loop holes aren't you?:) On a new vehicle its almost impossible for a customer to check on any previous damages, history etc. The dealer can easily hide all of that. If a situation such as this was to ever go to court I can tell you the judge would almost certainly grant reward to the plaintff.

I was working an autoshow years ago with Audi, an A6 fell off the top level of the truck and came crashing to the ground. It really messed up the car but it could have been repaired. Audi did not do that however, they took the car and sold it for scrap because if they were to repair it and sell it they would be in huge violation of automotive consumer laws. Unfortunately though many dealers do not follow the same rules as the manufacturer.

Back to the hotwheels incident the term " buyer beware" does not apply as much when purchasing from a licensed used car dealer. A dealer is not allowed to claim ignorance as an excuse for not knowing about a vehicles history. It is up to them to do the research and disclose any serious issues to the customer.
If its a private deal then thats a different story but the used car laws are changing because of all the shady, unprofessional and ghetto ass used car dealers that have been out there scamming people for years.

sputnik
04-13-2005, 04:27 PM
Wow. This got off topic in a hurry. This wasnt supposed to get into the legalities of buying used cars.

The main purpose for my post was to indicate that the same car that was advertized at $19,995 with 30,000km was originally sold on eBay 7 weeks earlier for $6,800 with 242,000km.

Now I admit that I may have been a bit harsh in my wording (and I apologize) however when you see something like this where the mileage is grossly understated with no mention of an engine replacement/rebuild and that how the price suddenly drops $5000 once it has been brought to light along with an interesting explanation for the price drop... red flags were all over the place.

This was supposed to be a "Buyer Beware" post not a "Lets Go Burn Down Hotwheels Warehouse" post.

I guess the easiest way to solve this problem is to go down to Hotwheels and check to see if the engine in question is really a JDM block with a JDM serial number with proper documentation of its install and purchase.

69cougar
04-13-2005, 07:35 PM

....... and the situation with the salvage cars is the buyers fault as well they are responsible for checking the background of the car before they buy it. ...... IMO

So even though it is the business they have chose to be in, they don't have to have any due diligence and check and see what they are buying? They can just buy whatever and put it on the lot and leave the research to the consumer??

Sounds sloppy to me. As for the people who are saying false accusastions have been made, he has acknowledged what I have said to be tru in one of his posts.

Again I am not on here bashing anyone if you read my posts on this topic I have not even named the dealer directly but again I think people on here deserve to be aware :dunno: