PDA

View Full Version : Deferred Exams At UC?

Marsh
04-13-2005, 06:31 PM
Has anybody here deferred their final(s) at u of c before? Just wondering if its a painstaking process or something simpler

Weapon_R
04-13-2005, 06:35 PM
Its pretty simple. Have a docs note and a prescription from that doctor.

Go to the department office of your faculty. Sign a document, give them your documents, and wait.

Marsh
04-13-2005, 07:23 PM
Wait for what the dean says right? How long does that usually take?
And im assuming you have to fake some kind of illness, righT?

Kor
04-13-2005, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Marsh
Wait for what the dean says right? How long does that usually take?
And im assuming you have to fake some kind of illness, righT?

Uhhh no you don't have to FAKE it, since it is supposed to be if you really are ill, or have an emergency (death in the family). Or if you are scheduled 3 exams in 24 hours.

jaysas_63
04-13-2005, 07:52 PM
deffered tests are usually a bitch as the profs make the test harder (to compensate for all the extra time u had to study)...also the dean will look at ur other marks in the class (labs, midterms and assignments), ur overall GPA, and they will also look if u have defered exams in the past.......then they will give u a go ahead on the deffered exam.

604-Mico
04-13-2005, 08:22 PM
if you're planning to fake it, why dont you just start studying RIGHT NOW

By deferring it, you're not fooling anyone...you're just delaying the inevitable

EDM
04-13-2005, 08:58 PM
thers a form on the registars site you should print out and the dean and a doctor are supposed to sign it.

Marsh
04-13-2005, 09:45 PM
Thanks, the posts have been helpful

Originally posted by 604-Mico
if you're planning to fake it, why dont you just start studying RIGHT NOW

By deferring it, you're not fooling anyone...you're just delaying the inevitable

I am studying now:rolleyes: I was just inquiring in case I don't feel ready the day of the test

604-Mico
04-13-2005, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Marsh
Thanks, the posts have been helpful

I am studying now:rolleyes: I was just inquiring in case I don't feel ready the day of the test

I think deferred finals are to be used by students who have legit reasons...not because one doesnt "feel ready" on the day of the test.
:rolleyes:

I sure hope one day if i am truly sick for a final they wont deny me because of people abusing the deferral

Besides...wouldnt you want to have a nice summer without having a final hanging in front of you?

shakalaka
04-13-2005, 10:03 PM

I think deferred finals are to be used by students who have legit reasons...not because one doesnt "feel ready" on the day of the test.

I sure hope one day if i am truly sick for a final they wont deny me because of people abusing the deferral

Besides...wouldnt you want to have a nice summer without having a final hanging in front of you?

Dude you don't need to spaz or anything. People deferr all the time if they dont feel ready. I would say more than 50% people who deferr are not sick. Most prolly just not ready to write the exam. Its not that big of a deal. And you dont need to worry about you getting denied to deferr for your final. They just look at your record, like how many deferr's so far etc. Not what other people do. So if you are truly sick, you will be able to do it no matter what.

Marsh
04-13-2005, 11:21 PM

Yeah exactly what shakalaka said

Calm down, what I do won't affect you in anyway.
And no, it would be a much better summer knowing that I was as prepared as possible for a final exam instead of not knowing shit and getting a shitty mark

604-Mico
04-13-2005, 11:40 PM
na not spazzing
just stating the purpose of a deferred final

I remember a while back looking at some info on the rate of passing deferral exams....I dont remember the exact % but then if i remember correctly it was in the low 40% range

As the above posts have said, the deferred will be much harder than the scheduled final...thats for sure. And many profs are starting to use oral final deferred exams....and those get pretty nasty...

wish you the best of luck

Marsh
04-14-2005, 12:15 AM

wish you the best of luck

I doubt it

thanks anyway

Despair*
04-14-2005, 12:45 PM

I remember a while back looking at some info on the rate of passing deferral exams....I dont remember the exact % but then if i remember correctly it was in the low 40% range

As the above posts have said, the deferred will be much harder than the scheduled final...thats for sure.

Yeah, i would definately recommend studying as hard as you can until your final hits. I wrote a deferred final for electrical circuits quite a few year ago at the U of C, and that test was absolutely brutal. If you can get yourself ready in time for you final you will have a much better chance of passing and doing well than writing some deferred monster that your prof gives to you.

eblend
04-14-2005, 08:53 PM
dude, i took 3 exams in one day from 8 am till 6 pm, all exams were 3 hours and i had a choise of deferal and i decided against it, u get an extra month or two to study...u blow 99% of that time slacking around, then start studying a few days before, and realize u forgot what you already knew..go in there and fail, not worth it

outlawz_lm
04-21-2005, 11:51 PM
dude be carefull with deferred exams. In most cases they are much harder than he original. Most profs at u of c are a-holes so they will F*** u over. I defered an exam last semester and it was extremely hard compared to what everyone else wrote. What class is it for and whos your prof.

BebeAphrodite
04-22-2005, 01:22 PM
I don't think that there's anything wrong with deferrals because its still you doing the exam - it's not as if you are cheating or bringing notes in on rulers or what not. It's like getting an extension on a paper.

As for the ease of deferring an exam, it's harder than deferring midterms but it's still pretty easy. You need to have some type of illness and the doctor has to fill out a form and it has to be placed in a sealed envelope (if i remember correctly).

And for those people saying that deferred exams are harder, I've never had a deferred that was harder than a normal exam. For midterms, half the time it's the same exam. For finals, when I compared with friends on the difficulty, it's the same.

Good luck.

Weapon_R
04-22-2005, 02:42 PM
Deferred exams are the same as regular exams. Whoever actually believes that is retarded.

The material presented in class is the same material that will be on the test. A professor cannot add anything that you shouldn't already know.

autospeed
04-23-2005, 12:32 PM
^yea i totally agree. I had a deferred exam last semester and after talking to my friends it was basically the same thing they wrote. The exams being harder is just rumours imo. My older cousins had friends that would defer at least one exam every semester, because it gave them more time, and although it was only once one of them found the deferred test (oral) easier.

I highly doubt having deferred and exam the previous semester would make them question you deferring one this semester. If you have a doctors note and he/she fills out the papers saying you're ill how can they deny you? lol then again so many ppl these days have their "go to doctor" for this time of the year. lol

sexualbanana
04-23-2005, 03:08 PM
I've written a deferred midterm before and it really is more difficult than the midterm. There are common questions that cover the same topic, but it is often more tricky on the deferred.

For example, the deferred midterm I wrote was for Geog.

Deferred (it was written as opposed to MC):
Name ALL (13 or 26, I forget now) the countries that ratified the Antarctic Treaty

Actual midterm:
Which one of these countries did not ratify the Antarctic Treaty.

Same idea, much different format. With the actual midterm, I could've at least eliminated and then guess. With the deferred I was SOL.

It's common for midterms, I don't know about finals, but if it's a MC exam, the deferred tends to be a written.

But of course, my opinion of a deferred only applies to this one course, and all courses are different.

BebeAphrodite
04-23-2005, 03:20 PM
Hmm... well during my second and third year I deferred probably 10-12 midterms exams missing every midterm in one semester and I've deferred 3 finals before. I've never found them to be any more difficult. And like I said before, half of the midterms were identical to what had been previously given. And the midterms I deferred were all from the social science faculty.

RiCE-DaDDy
04-23-2005, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by BebeAphrodite
And the midterms I deferred were all from the social science faculty.

no wonder...

BebeAphrodite
04-23-2005, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by RiCE-DaDDy

no wonder...

But I'd always heard of Econ deferred exams being harder but they aren't ever harder. Rumours... I deferred a geography exam (what faculty is this in?) as well and if I remember correctly that one was identical to the class midterm. hmm.. oo and I forgot, I deferred two in mgst before as well and they were similar in difficulty.

eblend
04-24-2005, 10:48 PM
in haskayne most times deffered exams are indeed written where as normal are mostly mc. Finance is one of those, 60 MC for normal, 60 short answer otherwise...which one would you like to take haha?