PDA

View Full Version : Immunology and Infection Program at U of A

Gondi Stylez
04-13-2005, 08:38 PM
I am still waiting to hear about my final admission into this program and was wondering what some opinions are on it. As far as I know it is the only undergraduate degree of its kind in Western Canada (maybe U of S?) so at first that is what drew me to this program two years ago. I have been shadowing this program at MRC and will be heading to Edm. in September (crossing fingers).

From the 2-3 people I know that are in this program they seem to like it a lot and so do I, but I really want to know if there is any benefit of doing a specialized degree program or not? If my career plans carry any weight, I plan on applying for Med School and if that doesn't work out I would like to get my MSc and PhD in Pharmacology and open a research firm.

U of A has nothing but good things to say about it as it is part of the Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry. Since I don't know that many people maybe some of you that go to U of A know some inside information?

Just throw some of the ideas around to give me a better idea to this program and the benefits of doing a specialized/honors degree...

Thanks,

PS - I really like the program thus far, so don't think that I hate it or something!! :D

B18C
04-14-2005, 07:33 PM
Well with a specialized degree you will have a better chance of getting a job in case you don't get into med school. It will be way harder than just doing a general science degree though so it will be harder to actually get into med school if you go that route.

It depends how sure you are about going to med school. If that is the only thing you want to do and you will not even entertain the idea of doing something else for the rest of your life then I say go the general route. If you want a backup plan go the specialized route.

Stratus_Power
04-14-2005, 07:54 PM
i dont recommand doing specialization or Honors if you are planning to go into Med school. Med school is competitive enough as it is, and unless you think you can pull a 3.8-4.0 while in specialize/honor, dont bother.

As for Immunology degree go, like all other BSc degree, doesnt matter if you are in specialization or Honors, you won't be able to find any job related to your field unless you do graduate school.
And i personally think too many people are in the immunology program at UofA atm, and many people i talked to think there just isnt that big of a demand for an immunologist.

So in summary, it would probably be better for you to just go into General Science, get a High GPA, and take some IMIN courses along the way to satistfy your interest for immunology, unless your Plan B is to get a PhD in Immunology and become an immunologist

oh yeh, if you are wondering if having a specialization or honors degree will make you a better Canadate for Med school, it won't.

nismodrifter
04-14-2005, 08:09 PM
^word to everything he said. If you are set on med then don't start taking specialized stuff because its just going to completely RUIN your chances unless you have the brains to pull off crazy marks.

Gondi Stylez
04-14-2005, 08:27 PM
Thanks guys! So unless I can pull a 4.0 I would be better of taking General Bio Sci degree with a minor?

Yes, Med School is something I really want to do, but beyond that my only back up plan was research and that is where this IMIN degree came in.

But all in all, im better of getting a 3.7+ GPA in a general program then doing all the extra work as a "backup" plan?

Stratus_Power
04-14-2005, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Gondi Stylez

But all in all, im better of getting a 3.7+ GPA in a general program then doing all the extra work as a "backup" plan?

well... if you think you can get a 3.7+ GPA in a specialization program then you can do that, just understand that all your GPA do is get you the interview, they dont really care if you are in general Sci or Honors.

just dont think they would take a guy w/ a 3.5GPA in specialization than a 3.8 guy with just general Sci

Gondi Stylez
04-14-2005, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Stratus_Power

well... if you think you can get a 3.7+ GPA in a specialization program then you can do that, just understand that all your GPA do is get you the interview, they dont really care if you are in general Sci or Honors.

just dont think they would take a guy w/ a 3.5GPA in specialization than a 3.8 guy with just general Sci

Yea, I think I could get a 3.4-3.5 in the specialization but now that I think about it may not be worth it since Med School GPA's are 3.8+! Hmmm..... I know you go to U of A and I think your doing Molecular Genetics (if I remember correctly), so that is a spec. program and is it THAT much more work or is it merely the fact that its a hell of a lot harder then the general program?

Also, Im looking at the U of A site and I can't find what majors you can pick in Bio Sci? I want to see if my classes can go towards my major or not....

Stratus_Power
04-14-2005, 09:04 PM
yeh I'm specializing in genetic at UofA.

I think specialization/honors is harder in the sense that you are forced to take all these high level diffcult courses and everyone in your class are also in spec/Honors, so its more competitive, and remember almost all the grades are curved.

i think Bio sci itself is already a major.
like can be a Bio Major or Chem major

Stratus_Power
04-14-2005, 09:05 PM
"183.3.6 General Program in Biological Sciences
A major or a minor area of concentration in the Biological Sciences is available in the BSc General program.

Courses which may be used toward a Biological Sciences major or minor include BIOL; BOT; CELL 300, 301; ENT; GENET; INT D 224, 371, 372, 421, 452, 455; MA SC; MICRB; MMI 351; NEURO; NU FS 363; PALEO; PHYSL 210, 372, 401, 404, 410; PMCOL 201, 305, 335, 336, 342, 371, 392, 403, 409, 412, 415; ZOOL

Courses in Biochemistry (see §184.3) may be used for a concentration in Biological Sciences or Physical Sciences but not for both.

The following previously offered courses may be used for a concentration in Biological Sciences: BOT 199, ENT 120, GENET 197, MICRB 193, and ZOOL 120.

The following previously offered courses may not be used for a concentration in Biological Sciences: BIOL 110, BOT 130, GENET 165, and PMCOL 101.

Note: Effective September 1996, it is not possible to combine a major or minor in the Biological Sciences with a minor or major in one of the specific subject disciplines in the Biological Sciences. For example, students may not select a major in the Biological Sciences and a minor in Microbiology. Students who choose Biological Sciences as a subject of concentration should consult the Department of Biological Sciences or the Faculty of Science Student Services Office.
"

Gondi Stylez
04-14-2005, 09:30 PM
Oh ok..... So basically I just mix and match courses in the Bio department. I thought I had to pick like Pharmocology as a major and take 48 credits in that, then do 36 credits in a business minor

This makes much more sense.... thanks man!

Stratus_Power
04-14-2005, 10:01 PM
pretty sure if you want to do a Business minor you'll have to apply for it. limited spots

B18C
04-17-2005, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Gondi Stylez
Thanks guys! So unless I can pull a 4.0 I would be better of taking General Bio Sci degree with a minor?

Yes, Med School is something I really want to do, but beyond that my only back up plan was research and that is where this IMIN degree came in.

Yes. but you have to be sure that you want to go ot med school and anything else in science does not intrest you at all. There are lots of people like that. The only reason they are in science is to go to med school and they have no intrest at all in research. That's fine, but in this case I think you would be better off taking a major that intrests you in case you don't get into med school and just take the science pre-req's that you need. In that case, even if you don't get into med school you won't have a completely useless degree.

Stratus_Power
04-17-2005, 11:42 AM
and I've read in those pre-med books that they actually preferr an applicant with other undergrad degree + pre-req ( ie art, engineering, etc) than just a BSc.

Gondi Stylez
04-17-2005, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by B18C

Yes. but you have to be sure that you want to go ot med school and anything else in science does not intrest you at all. There are lots of people like that. The only reason they are in science is to go to med school and they have no intrest at all in research. That's fine, but in this case I think you would be better off taking a major that intrests you in case you don't get into med school and just take the science pre-req's that you need. In that case, even if you don't get into med school you won't have a completely useless degree.

Yes i know that! I reallyu enjoy doing research and that is why that is my "back up" per say. What im doin really does interest me and sometimes i just have doubts about gettin into med so i think about contuing w/ research! so far what i like is pharmocology and immunology and genetics!

nismodrifter
04-17-2005, 03:04 PM
don't have a backup :D that way you will work 10x harder at getting in since you realize you are focked if you don't :D its all about how you think playa :D :D

cough...pharm is my backup..cough

Gondi Stylez
04-17-2005, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter
don't have a backup :D that way you will work 10x harder at getting in since you realize you are focked if you don't :D its all about how you think playa :D :D

cough...pharm is my backup..cough

:bigpimp:

B18C
04-17-2005, 07:01 PM
So you are going to specialize then?

Gondi Stylez
04-18-2005, 01:13 AM
So you are going to specialize then?

Well, im not 100% sure! When I go to U of A next year I will be in the I&I program but can choose not to follow the course requiremnets and just continue with the general program. I have to really put my head around this because im done all my "pre-med" reqs. so it really comes down to what GPA I can honestly achieve and what career path I want to take.

At the end of the day you MUST have a backup to ensure an alternative. An option that I have been pondering for the past yearish is to complete my BSc. + MSc. and do the MD/PhD program and do medical research if being a physican wasn't my calling in life.

I really have to wrap my head around this but I still have next year before I would have to declare my major/minor if I did the general since it would be my first year at U of A but 3rd year of studies.

Thanks for all the input guys! Its been a great help. Hopefully I can meet Stratus_Power, GTS Jeff, etc. that go to U of A next year. Living on HUB prolly won't be that entertaining!

Gondi Stylez
04-18-2005, 01:14 AM
btw. nismo what are you doin at U of S???

nismodrifter
04-18-2005, 01:51 AM
2nd year student majoring in Physiology, trying for dental next year and then medicine in 4th year (can't apply as a sask resident for medical next year because of stupid residency requirements....I should have came here first year :banghead: but I can apply as one for dental so will give that a shot next year).
Going to write mcat this summer so I will be applying to other places anyways even though I won't apply to U of S next year.
I've thought about it and am more focused towards getting into medicine but since I have the opportunity to try for dental I thought I should not pass it up.

Gondi Stylez
04-18-2005, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by nismodrifter
2nd year student majoring in Physiology, trying for dental next year and then medicine in 4th year (can't apply as a sask resident for medical next year because of stupid residency requirements....I should have came here first year :banghead: but I can apply as one for dental so will give that a shot next year).
Going to write mcat this summer so I will be applying to other places anyways even though I won't apply to U of S next year.
I've thought about it and am more focused towards getting into medicine but since I have the opportunity to try for dental I thought I should not pass it up.

good for you! yea i dont think i would ever become a dentist! i cant even stand goin to one!!:thumbsdow

but that is great ur trying all avenues, and hey ull be racking in the $$ no matter what!

B18C
04-18-2005, 10:48 PM
Hey don't knock dentists.

Gondi Stylez
04-19-2005, 11:43 AM
Hey don't knock dentists.

$200/hr to look at my teeth! pfft! :devil: