PDA

View Full Version : Feedback on Upcoming Features

kenny
04-14-2005, 12:16 AM
Before I implement some new features I just wanted to get some feedback to see if it will be worthwhile.

Private Message Downloads System:
This feature is to help users deal with important private messages they don't want to delete from their inbox or sent items. The download system will allow you to archive your PMs and download them and save them to your own computer so you can free up the space on the forums.

Notify you via PM when a thread you started has been moved:
Pretty simple feature, when you start a thread and its in the wrong section, currently you wont know its been moved. Some users even post a thread asking where their thread is because they don't know how to search. This will hopefully end confusion. You will not be able to opt out of this notification if implemented, but moderators at their discretion can disable the notification from being sent.

Ignored users cannot reply to your thread:
If you have users on your ignore list, this feature will not allow them to participate in threads that you start. A lot of issues on the forums have to do with users that take things too personal. With this option you can ignore a user and basically end all contact with them but still allows both users to exist on the forums.

Attachments limited to car related attachments, max size of 100KB:
Attachments are now only to be car related and have a maximum size of 100KB and 800x800 max resolution. Our database has grown incredibly fast because of the sheer number of attachments. Other forums do not allow attachments at all but we want to crreate a large resource for automotive discussions so its nice to have related images instead of red x's which happens when ppl use third party image hosting services.

------------------------------

Please post your thoughts on these features that I am currently looking into. I have partially implemented the attachments restriction, as there is no automated way to ensure attachments are automotive related at the moment. If you are extremely against the addition of these features, please post why, and same if you are in support of these features. I just wanted to get a few perspectives before I implement them.

If you have suggestions for features not listed in this post, please start a new thread and it will be looked at.

ryder_23
04-14-2005, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by kenny

Private Message Downloads System:
This feature is to help users deal with important private messages they don't want to delete from their inbox or sent items. The download system will allow you to archive your PMs and download them and save them to your own computer so you can free up the space on the forums.

If you have users on your ignore list, this feature will not allow them to participate in threads that you start. A lot of issues on the forums have to do with users that take things too personal. With this option you can ignore a user and basically end all contact with them but still allows both users to exist on the forums.
[/B]

Those 2 sound really good , good to hear :thumbsup:

shakalaka
04-14-2005, 12:28 AM
^^Werd, Those 2 sound really good. Even the "Notify you via PM when a thread you started has been moved" should work as well. I dont know much about the last one, doesnt really matter because I dont post too many pictures on here. Even if i do, i just host it from photobucket or something. Sure go ahead with it, if it will save up some space on beyond.

Toms-SC
04-14-2005, 02:49 AM
Nice going on the ignore list :thumbsup: But are the ingore user able to see the thread?

Khyron
04-14-2005, 08:56 AM
Attachment idea makes total sense - I was always amazed that you allowed them at all.

Notification isn't that important imo because don't most people get email notifications on replies that automatically link to the thread, regardless of where it is?

PM archive, good idea - just dump it to excel or something and be done with it. I'd clear my entire box if that feature was enabled.

The Ignore user can't reply... I think that might get a bit abused by ignoring someone you are actually impacting their posting. If I ignore someone and they post in my thread, me not seeing their post at all would make total sense (and is pretty common), but preventing them from posting at all...

Khyron

Proyecto2000
04-14-2005, 09:31 AM
I think that all 4 features are great :thumbsup:

Carfanman
04-14-2005, 11:11 AM
What if I ignore someone and then start a thread that they would actually post something worthwhile in, but they cant? I dont think its fair to prevent people from posting in a thread.

If you dont read their post because they are ignored, does it really matter if they reply?

88CRX
04-14-2005, 11:13 PM
i cant get my pics that small :thumbsdow

there quality is sooo bad you cant make them out

Kobe
04-14-2005, 11:22 PM

[/B]

Not really digging this, say, someone makes a April desktop thread, and then if the thread creater has someone ignored, they can't post in it..

Im done for the other ones!! :D

88CRX
04-14-2005, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX
i cant get my pics that small :thumbsdow

there quality is sooo bad you cant make them out

nevermind..... we now had we-todd :thumbsup:

RickDaTuner
04-14-2005, 11:28 PM
how about self serivce Market place forums? not full self service but like if a item sells then you can lock the thread your self or have a light system for it kinda like when we are online

green: still for sale
Yellow : deal pending
Red : sold

I think it would help to clean up the market place a bit?

blinkme_210
04-14-2005, 11:38 PM
[/B]

This would be an awesome feature. Makes it easy for the thread starters to ignore obvious post whores who don't contribute anything to the discussion of the thread.

As for suggested features, I don't know if vBulletin even has such a system, but what about thread voting? If a thread is voted too low or what not, it could be temporary locked and submitted to moderators for a final decision. This thread voting would effectively cut down on the number of useless posts and threads.

This suggestion is in wake of the numerous retarded fast & furious threads... notice how most of the thread starters are south of the 49th parellel :rolleyes:. While the fast & furious threads are good for a few kicks and laughs, after a while, it gets lame when it's all started by the same clueless poster who carry over the same horde of people to only flame them again. I don't know about you guys, but it "annoys" me when I see the stupidity of the thread starter. Regardless it absolutely affects me in no way, just something to think about.

AllGoNoShow
04-15-2005, 01:25 AM
Sounds good, I still wish you could implement a donation section where when you donate you get a few things others dont, like attachments and such, as some of the imagehosters are slow themselves, others you can't hotlink too, not to mention the time wasted. I thinkit would be much easier to get some people to help pay for it and get the space they need/could use.

D'z Nutz
04-15-2005, 01:06 PM
Personally, I think all the features except for the ignore one sound great. If you have a personal beef with someone and you put them on your ignore list, that shouldn't exclude them from the thread especially if they are legitimately contributing and staying on topic. Just cause you don't like what a person says doesn't mean it might be any less important.

Another scenario where I could see this not working is if someone is selling crappy merchandise in the marketplace. The topic starter could block someone who is aware of it and someone else could get suckered when they could've otherwise been warned.

One suggestion I would like to see is to allow topic starters to change the title of their threads in the Marketplace. I do see that people have tried to change their thread titles, especially after their item has been sold (thread titles don't change, but the Subject line does). I myself, and I'm sure other mods, get the occassional title change requests too. Also, this would be useful in case someone's forgotten to put "FS/WTB/etc..." and they would like to fix that before one of the mods trashes the post ;)

schurchill39
04-15-2005, 07:54 PM
I like the "self-serve" market place idea where youcan change the subject or use the "light system". Would avoid alot of searching and would get rid of some of the clutter

kaput
04-15-2005, 07:55 PM

D'z Nutz
04-15-2005, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by kaput
Could somebody explain why you have set it so that we can only do one search every 60 seconds? I find it annoying when I know what I'm looking for and just need a few tries to find the right search term. If theres a reason for it then great, but if not then maybe consider taking off that limitation?

That's something you could've searched for too:
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=82608

nismodrifter
04-15-2005, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by kaput
Could somebody explain why you have set it so that we can only do one search every 60 seconds? I find it annoying when I know what I'm looking for and just need a few tries to find the right search term. If theres a reason for it then great, but if not then maybe consider taking off that limitation?

reason was posted before in another thread, limit has been setup for performance reasons, having a billion people hitting search search search search search search over and over again places strain on the resources. Another method would be to use the google search feature to find what you are looking for :) Type it in the google box and you'll usually find the thread you wanted :)

Kirbs17
04-15-2005, 09:22 PM

Im liking this. :thumbsup:

sabad66
04-15-2005, 09:37 PM
I'm really diggin the pm inbox downloading feature. Just a question, in which format would we download it in? Would it be like an outlook file or something?

/////AMG
04-16-2005, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Personally, I think all the features except for the ignore one sound great. If you have a personal beef with someone and you put them on your ignore list, that shouldn't exclude them from the thread especially if they are legitimately contributing and staying on topic. Just cause you don't like what a person says doesn't mean it might be any less important.

Another scenario where I could see this not working is if someone is selling crappy merchandise in the marketplace. The topic starter could block someone who is aware of it and someone else could get suckered when they could've otherwise been warned.

Smack on! You could have a user with a whole bunch of people ignored because of issues outside of beyond or just personal stuff (as mentioned above) and this would effect the too much! The person who has ignored everyone will just be having a laugh in the end, especially when the thread is something where everyone would like to or can contribute to.

Also like Díz said, could be a huge issue around the Market Place.

Neil4Speed
04-16-2005, 10:14 AM
The others are pretty good, but the first one is VITAL, and would be really good, its nicce to keep track of old pms sometimes etc.

Nice Job man!

blinkme_210
04-16-2005, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by /////AMG
Also like Díz said, could be a huge issue around the Market Place.

How about implementing it on the other sections, except the marketplace?

thinmyster
04-16-2005, 07:59 PM
if your ignored and you cant post then could you still pm that person and work out your differences that way and then continue or would you not recive there pm aswell?

Neil4Speed
05-02-2005, 11:00 PM
Hi Kenny,

any idea when these features will come into affect?

kenny
05-03-2005, 01:02 AM
No idea. It is relatively low on the priorities list :)

/////AMG
05-03-2005, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by thinmyster
if your ignored and you cant post then could you still pm that person and work out your differences that way and then continue or would you not recive there pm aswell?

Chances are they probably have you on their ignor elist fo rPM's too.

legendboy
05-03-2005, 08:18 AM
I think all of your ideas are perfect :)

k_dawg
05-04-2005, 05:05 PM
I like the private messaging system because i know that sometimes I've needed an PM and always have to log on when i'm in a hurry to read it again. I think this will help when people are on the run and will make their day easier when they need to see PM.

soupey
05-09-2005, 07:39 AM
Attachments limited to car related attachments, max size of 100KB:
Attachments are now only to be car related and have a maximum size of 100KB and 800x800 max resolution. Our database has grown incredibly fast because of the sheer number of attachments. Other forums do not allow attachments at all but we want to crreate a large resource for automotive discussions so its nice to have related images instead of red x's which happens when ppl use third party image hosting services.
[/B]

bleh sorry to complain about this one, but i hate having to upload things to different places jus to get an image onto beyond, i do quite a bit in teh photoshop section and its annoying to not be able to attach images there anymore, the photoshop section is dedicated to image editing and i think it should have a larger allowance for image size based on that...its the only section where the attachment size really becomes an issue, ppl ask for chops and then if they are attached to the thread they lose tons of quality cuz of the size restriction. anyways i guess if that cant change at all we'll all be forced to live wit shittier quality pics or using different online storage places to store photoshops...but it'd b ALOT handier if the photoshop section's image attachment size was increased again...thanks

soupey
06-04-2005, 02:51 PM
sooo has the beyond mod team decided if the attachment thing is gona stay the same?....i sure liked it a whole lot better when the attachments just showed while lookin at a thread rather than having to click the link to see each one....