PDA

View Full Version : Basic car knowledge.

Carfanman
04-14-2005, 12:53 PM
Well, I'm learning about how cars work from www.howstuffworks.com, But I still know almost nothing about specific cars. For example, I can walk down an average street and not know the make or model of any of the cars I see without looking at what it says on the back, yet most of the people I know can. I was wondering if there are any sites that show alot of different cars, and tell about each one.

BumpinTalon
04-14-2005, 12:54 PM
as far as I know, there is no such site... supercars.net has all the nice expensive cars, but there isn't a site for just regular cars that I've found. it just takes time. I'm actually pretty surprised at how good I am at recognizing cars... can even get the exact year on some of them.

QuasarCav
04-14-2005, 12:54 PM
I can tell you any car on the road by headlights! I used to read every car magazine available. Get a library card and borrow lots of car mags. It just takes time.

Speed_69
04-14-2005, 02:26 PM
when i was younger at the age of 13 or so, i would just sit looking outside at cars passing by and try seeing if i could recognize what make/model the car was. i got pretty good at it but yea i just suggest looking at car magazines and eventually with time, you'll be able to name everything.

AllGoNoShow
04-14-2005, 02:31 PM
Its not something you just goto a site and learn in a matter of 20 minutes. It takes time and patience. One thing to do would be just to slowly figure it out by looking at the makes and models on them, then you will get to know what manufactures look like what type of cars and such. For example, Bently used to be basically one of a kind to me, you could tell any bently just by the grill/headlight assembly, the 300 and 300C have changed that a little but you still can tell by the manufactures symbol on the front if you get confused or are learning.

Another place to go checkout poeples cars and how they look compared to different years and such would be www.cardomain.com Although a lot on that website is modified, alot also isn't and its a good way to check out one year vs another year or oen model vs another model.

Carfanman
04-14-2005, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the responces. What are some good car magazines?

AllGoNoShow
04-14-2005, 02:54 PM
Depends what you like to read.

Car reviews and rating for newer cars, Car & Driver

Tuning there is many, HCi for example

Trucks, there is also numerous 4x4 and offroading mags out.

Basically goto your local bookstore, grab a few different ones and find out which you like the best, then go get more of the ones you liek the best.

HillBilly
04-14-2005, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav
I can tell you any car on the road by headlights!

headlights give it away almost every time.... Most of the time you can even tell the model year..

BlkMaxima
04-14-2005, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav
I can tell you any car on the road by headlights! I used to read every car magazine available. Get a library card and borrow lots of car mags. It just takes time.

I learned this by looking for cops in crown vics and durangos.

LOL

streetarab
04-15-2005, 08:13 PM
its defintly not something you can just learn, it definitly take time, id say go for a walk through a parkin lot, thats the only way your gonna see enough cars to learn anything, but its still gonna take time

you know your good when you can tell what make model and year of a car by a bodyline or just a fender, i suprise myself sometimes

3G
04-15-2005, 09:18 PM
With older Hondas, if it has rubber bumpers it's the base model

crazydriver
04-15-2005, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by 3G
With older Hondas, if it has rubber bumpers it's the base model

ahhh there's something new, i didn't know that b4