PDA

View Full Version : Do you pay taxes on a used private sale?

bennyhanna
04-14-2005, 07:18 PM
Thanks

bennyhanna
04-14-2005, 07:19 PM
car sale

69cougar
04-14-2005, 08:01 PM
only if you are an idiot.

:nut:

autobodygal
04-14-2005, 08:12 PM
In sask, you don't pay the tax on the sale of the car, but you pay PST on sales over $3000 when you get your plates. They use a scale showing what the values of the cars are as well as what you paid for the car.

vcteggy
04-15-2005, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by autobodygal
In sask, you don't pay the tax on the sale of the car, but you pay PST on sales over $3000 when you get your plates. They use a scale showing what the values of the cars are as well as what you paid for the car.

that really sucks, in alberta only suckers would pay gst on a private sale, even at most dealerships you can bargain for no tax, they just cut the base price.

statick
04-15-2005, 07:45 AM
:werd: in alberta, no taxes on a private sale.

bennyhanna
04-15-2005, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by 69cougar
only if you are an idiot.

:nut:

SO you think Im an idiot because I dont know....and Im new to the province

:thumbsdow

69cougar
04-15-2005, 10:24 AM
No I never said YOU were an idiot I said if you pay taxes on a private sale you would be an idiot.

"new to the province" Your profile is Aug 04??

:drama:

Barking_Spidre
04-15-2005, 01:05 PM
No I never said YOU were an idiot I said if you pay taxes on a private sale you would be an idiot.

"new to the province" Your profile is Aug 04??

:drama:

What's to stop him from joining beyond if he doesn't live in alberta? Not like it's illegal to do it.

me&you
04-15-2005, 02:42 PM
If the seller is asking for GST on a private sale, he's just trying to pocket an extra 7%.

Don't pay it, or let him tell you he's "throwing in the tax for free" like he's giving you a deal. Deal off the asking price of the car and disregard the tax part all together. If he insists and you still think you are getting a good enough deal, ask for his GST number.

I will mention that there is one exception (kinda). If you are buying a vehicle from someone who is leasing it, then they have to pay out the lease which is subject to GST. The seller may then want you to pay the tax, but usually they just ask an inclusive price.

69cougar
04-15-2005, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Barking_Spidre

What's to stop him from joining beyond if he doesn't live in alberta? Not like it's illegal to do it.

Whoever said it was illegal?? If you are not in Calgary why would you put that as your location?? :dunno:

nismodrifter
04-15-2005, 03:22 PM

Whoever said it was illegal?? If you are not in Calgary why would you put that as your location?? :dunno:

man you are clueless aren't you, I'll let you figure out this one on your own...

GTS Jeff
04-15-2005, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by bennyhanna

SO you think Im an idiot because I dont know....and Im new to the province

:thumbsdow

Actually, you're all idiots for assuming GST has anything to do on the provincial level. Here's some info for you immigrants; GST is a federal tax, it stands for Goods & Services Tax. It's 7% that the government collects for goods and services sold by a business. The only way the government collects GST from a business is if they've registered. When a business registers with the government, they're given a GST number, which they usually print on their receipts to prove to customers that they're legitimately collecting GST. So when someone wants GST, just ask for a GST number.

Geez I thought this was common knowledge...especially since some stupid kid like me knows...

C4S
04-16-2005, 01:04 AM
If someone is selling his car, ( say private sale )and his car is under his company name, ( say whatever Pizza shop, or fast food shop etc .. ) then he can sell the car PLUS GST ...

If a car is under "personal" name, then can't charge GST .. :)

ZorroAMG
04-16-2005, 06:58 PM
Isn't GST only applicable to NEW goods?

seer_claw
04-16-2005, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
Isn't GST only applicable to NEW goods?

Nope, think of how many sports stores sell used equipment including GST. It just has to be sold by a registered company.