PDA

View Full Version : How to avoid people who want to drive or test ur ride

greatunicon
04-16-2005, 08:10 PM
just don't want someone burn my clutch

i usually say i have a bad gear in my transmission.
what do u say usually?

GorG
04-16-2005, 08:12 PM
I usually say no... unless of course they have a better car or bike, then trade agreements are made.

nismodrifter
04-16-2005, 08:12 PM
um...I don't let anyone drive it, how hard is it to simply say no, its your car so its not like you are forced to let them drive it or something.

Shaolin
04-16-2005, 08:22 PM
take it to dealerships for a full inspection rather than letting them drive your car.

Weapon_R
04-16-2005, 08:30 PM
Are you trying to sell it or are you trying to avoid letting friends test it?

mdeleon
04-16-2005, 09:14 PM
ye, gettin a full inspection is a good idea wheather or not you want to give out test drives....more so if ou dont so you dont seem like a shady seller. i say straight out say i dont trust people enough to test drive my car. and then just say yes to the ones you do trust.

ecstasy_civic
04-16-2005, 09:17 PM
I always go with them, and should they beat on my car, SMACK! lol

They wont try anything funny after that.

But if you really dont want them to, just say you'll drive it for them;)

ex1z7
04-16-2005, 09:23 PM
Take them for a drive if it's a test drive to sell the car..

Carfanman
04-16-2005, 09:25 PM
I think he's talking about friends, not selling it.

If I'm wrong, never mind.

mdeleon
04-16-2005, 10:03 PM
if it's friends there shouldn't be a prob speakin your mind...haha..."hell no man, you're probably gonna burn my clutch!"

asp integra
04-16-2005, 11:27 PM
if they know how to drive a car 5 speed or w/e and you have seen them drive and they drive really good then there porbably isnt to much harm in it, just as long as there are so burnouts or crazy reving, but its up to the person who owns the car, i for one am fine to let a freind of mine drive it if the are good but if not, then fuck off! lol

tsi_neal
04-17-2005, 07:01 PM
Personally ive never seen the big deal about letting people drive my cars... There will always be the understanding that if they fuck somehting up they will make sure its fixed to my satisfaction tho. Other than that if your a friend feel free to bag my car as hard as i do :D

And as for test driving a car im gonna buy, if i cant drive it id never consider buying it.

JordanLotoski
04-17-2005, 07:21 PM
id never buy a car without driving it. whats the big deal...there not gonna hurt it with one 10 minute drive!

JAYMEZ
04-17-2005, 08:41 PM
Hrmm , I let a girl drive my car once , and she ran into a pole , that wasnt very good. (Poor Explorer)..

As for letting people drive my current cars , I will let my friends drive the car with me in it , and if they do something stupid , ill smack on the head and tell them to get back in the passenger seat.

Weapon_R
04-17-2005, 08:52 PM
Once upon a time there was a certain member on this board who had a very nice ford probe for sale at an excellent price.

My friend was seriously interested in buying it and wanted to pick it up on Friday afternoon. The seller lived in Shawnessey and had to drive to Rundle to allow us to check it out (neither of us had a ride that day).

The guy comes to the house and we go outside to check out the car. Everything looks relatively clean and in good working order. After about 5 mins, we are ready to go.

Now, for the test drive.

"Okay, so far so good, let's go for a cruise".

"Sure, hope into the passenger seat."

"No, you don't seem to understand. We want to test drive it to make sure everything is good"

"No, you can't test drive it. My insurance company won't allow anyone to drive it."

"Hmm. You sure you're not going to let us drive it?"

"No, sorry I can't risk it."

"Okay, go home."

"what?"

"Go home. We've wasted enough time".

We walked right back inside. No point in even considering a car, no matter how new or clean it looks, until its been thoroughly inspected and test driven. Think about that if you're trying to sell a car.

Speed_69
04-17-2005, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

We walked right back inside. No point in even considering a car, no matter how new or clean it looks, until its been thoroughly inspected and test driven. Think about that if you're trying to sell a car.
:werd: i would never consider buying a car without letting me test drive it. i mean 5-10min test drive isn't going to do much harm, if even any.

chris
04-17-2005, 10:56 PM
my g/f wanted to drive my car, i let her, that was interesting. She said she could drive standard and stalled twice, that was the end of her drive.

SilverBoost
04-18-2005, 12:55 AM
My parents said I'm not allowed lend'n.

;)

If you're buying you have to drive it plain and simple.

If you're just getting asked if they can drive, well, that's totally in teh discretion of the owner. Most people won't drive my car even if I let them... the "you break it you bought it" policy is alot for some people to risk.

BumpinTalon
04-18-2005, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by SilverBoost

the "you break it you bought it" policy is alot for some people to risk.

everybody understands that policy until they actually break something.. and then you see a different side of your friends - the guys who don't want to pay for the damage they did to someone else's car. just cuz they say they'll pay for it, doesn't mean they will.
somebody else has only driven my car once, and that was only for about 5 minutes (U of C rez to brentwood) after I had enough drinks to put me into that gray area between sober and drunk.

SilverBoost
04-18-2005, 10:36 AM
Funny thing though about the Break it you bought it policy, at least in the manual I have, is that if you break it and then decide you're just gonna say, "sorry shit happens", then I get to break your kneecaps. So remember to read the small print folks. :)

I understand what your saying though. I've never really had anyone ask me if they could drive it anyhow. It's just too risky. Accidents can happen without it being their fault, but yet they were driving so it gets touchy. Especially when it comes to replacing aftermarklet parts. Insurance is not always your friend there.

In the end, you're really just safer keeping the test-pilots grounded. :)

abyss
04-18-2005, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by chris
my g/f wanted to drive my car, i let her, that was interesting. She said she could drive standard and stalled twice, that was the end of her drive.

That's ALMOST as good as my lesson from Hampstor. I just burned the tires all the way through first and second learning to start on a hill. (BTW his expert advice consisted of, well, you're gonna have to rev it a little more and let off the clutch a little faster....I interpreted this as rev it to 4500 and dump the clutch) it was awesome, the first thing he says is

jeeze! why didn't you get scared and stall it like any normal person?
:rofl:

he still lets me drive it though ;)

finboy
04-18-2005, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by MIWYFSHOT
id never buy a car without driving it. whats the big deal...there not gonna hurt it with one 10 minute drive!

Originally posted by chris

you would be suprised, i've seen people do some dumb shit in cars they aren't used to driving.

i'll offer a ride, but no test drives.

mind you, i don't bother selling cars, because 9 times out of 10, the people considering buying your car are just tire kicking idiots :rofl:

Ed the SOHC
04-18-2005, 01:29 PM
Test drive my car?...

"What is 'no', Alex."