PDA

View Full Version : K&N cone filters

2000impreza
06-23-2002, 04:43 PM
i don't know if its just me but these things get dirty so damn fast... i clean mine every 7000km's - 10 000km's. its a pain in the ass to clean these things too. thinking about getting a blitz wire mesh filter, suppose to be easier to clean.

redline
06-23-2002, 05:02 PM
They work better to a point when they are dirty, but unless your are driving on gravel roads etc... i would not clean it that often.

2000impreza
06-23-2002, 05:19 PM
so these things work better when they are dirty? on mine you can't tell what colour the filter element is. its caked leaves, dirt, sand and a bunch of other crap. i guess it might have something to do with the fact i drive mostly on gravel and dirt roads.

turboMiata
06-23-2002, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by 2000impreza
so these things work better when they are dirty? on mine you can't tell what colour the filter element is. its caked leaves, dirt, sand and a bunch of other crap. i guess it might have something to do with the fact i drive mostly on gravel and dirt roads.

If you got that much dirt on it, you should clean it. K&N works better when it is a little dirty, but not to the extent where the element is completely caked.

IIRC, K&N also makes a sponge filter "accessory" that basically wraps around the regular filter element for extra protection in off-road situations. You should look into that. When the sponge gets too dirty, just remove it from the filter and hose it off.

GT2NV
06-24-2002, 05:20 PM
whats the hp gains with just an air filter??

2000impreza
06-24-2002, 05:30 PM
i don't think you gain anything with a airfilter. if you do the whole intake maybe 2-3hp. those adds saying you gain X amount of hp is :bullshit:

Ferio_vti
06-24-2002, 09:28 PM
I just got a cai with a Ractive filter, how do you clean filter cones?

mwmhong
06-24-2002, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by 2000impreza
i don't think you gain anything with a airfilter. if you do the whole intake maybe 2-3hp. those adds saying you gain X amount of hp is :bullshit:

When the manufacturers 'test' these things, they strap it down to a dyno jet with the hood OPEN don't they? :devil:

redline
06-24-2002, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Ferio_vti
I just got a cai with a Ractive filter, how do you clean filter cones?

Buy a K&N recharge kit

bol
06-24-2002, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by redline

Buy a K&N recharge kit

yup

and MAKE SURE YOU LET IT DRY BEFORE YOU PUT IT BACK IN USE!

2000impreza
06-24-2002, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by mwmhong

When the manufacturers 'test' these things, they strap it down to a dyno jet with the hood OPEN don't they? :devil:

who knows what kind of test method the manufacturers use. for all we know they could have put ice on the intake manifold or something.

companies like AEM, injen, blitz,...etc claim that you will gain X amount of hp with their products...... yeah right. only ricers would believe that.

i've put a few basic bolt-on mods on my car. intake, catback exahust, field hyper-r sfc(air/fuel computer) and apex-i itc. it doesn't feel much faster than stock. just makes a lot more noise...... thats about it. there is no easy way to get more power. you have to go turbo, SC, nitrous, or major na mods(cams, heads, pistons) to get some decent power gains.

Rydog
06-24-2002, 11:41 PM
took the words outta my mouth.:thumbsup:

4wheeldrift
06-25-2002, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by black94gt
whats the hp gains with just an air filter??

On a stock car, nothing. Maybe its good for a horsepower or two, but the gain is so negligible you won't even feel it. However, once you start to do more to the car that it requires more air then you will start noticing better gains from filters and intake mods.