PDA

View Full Version : Haskayne 317s

random
04-17-2005, 03:11 PM
I have a question for those in Haskayne that've taken the 317s...

I know they tell you not to take more than one at a time, but does that apply to all of them? I'm going into 2nd year and my schedule is kind of off because I don't have all my prereqs done (haven't taken stat 213/217 yet) so I can't take mktg317 or fnce 317 (which are the two areas I'm considering concentrating in) so I'm trying to arrange my courses so as to actually finish in 4 yrs :confused: I've heard horror stories about mktg 317 and fnce 317, but does it really matter if I take say acct 317 and hrod 317 together?

I'm so confused... any help would be really greatly appreciated!

7thgenvic
04-17-2005, 03:13 PM
well if you haven't taken 213 or 217 you can't take accouting 317! read the calender and descriptions on the internet! these are simple questions that you can figure out off of infonet!

if you are confused, why not read the ucalgary calender and course descriptions are prerequisits!!!

EDM
04-17-2005, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by 7thgenvic
well if you haven't taken 213 or 217 you can't take accouting 317! read the calender and descriptions on the internet! these are simple questions that you can figure out off of infonet!

if you are confused, why not read the ucalgary calender and course descriptions are prerequisits!!!

yes you can take acct137 w/o stats213/217

http://www.ucalgary.ca/pubs/calendar/current/What/Courses/ACCT.htm#317

but thats not what he's asking in the first place. i have no idea about the difficulty of hrod317 and fnce317, im not in business anyways.

random
04-17-2005, 03:18 PM
You just need bsen 291 to take acct 317 so I'll be fine for that one... it's not the requirements that I'm confused about, because I've read through the calendar and used degree navigator, etc... I just need to do some rearranging because I thought I was going to do a combined degree and so didn't take the stats courses in 1st year :( ... I'm just wondering if what they keep telling us about not taking more than one 317 at a time because they're 'too difficult' is true for all of them, or just a few?

sexualbanana
04-17-2005, 04:42 PM
The cardinal rule is DO NOT take marketing and finance 317 in the first semester. The workload for each class can be overwhelming.

You're still on your second year so it is still entirely possible to do your degree in 4 years. Your program would be similar to those a few years ago before direct entry.

Back then, stats wasn't taken until second year. So you can easily fit in your 317's in the next 2 years.

So it would be Stats 213 and 217 in your fall and winter respectively. You should be able to do ACCT at the same time as either course.

MGIS, OPMA, and MGST 391 are similar courses. There's a little overlap in their material.

FNCE is a very front heavy class. Meaning there's a lot of work to do in the first half of the semester because of the midterm.

MKTG is very back heavy, because of the final project you have to do.

HROD relies very heavily on how well you can memorize terms. So depending on your learning style, you can fit that into whatever semester you want. If you want to take HROD and ACCT together, it's not a problem.

But like I said, it depends on your own learning style. ACCT is a very logical, step-by-step thinking kind of class.

Gainsbarre
04-17-2005, 05:09 PM
You can divide the 317 courses into two groups really...those that require a fair bit of luck/effort:

FNCE 317
MKTG 317 (term project is HELL)
ACCT 317

And those that are fairly straightforward memorization courses:

OPMA 317 (term project is fairly simple)
MGIS 317 (again, term project is simple)
HROD 317
RMIN 317 (note that RMIN 317 is NOT one of the required 317s)

It really shouldn't matter if you take ACCT 317 and HROD 317 in the same semester...you've got nothing to worry about. I even took FNCE / MKTG / MGIS together (with two other senior level courses) in Fall 2003 and I turned out just fine (I think...) I still made the dean's list that term so it's still possible to do well even if you take MKTG 317 and FNCE 317 in the same semester.

Originally posted by random
I have a question for those in Haskayne that've taken the 317s...

I know they tell you not to take more than one at a time, but does that apply to all of them? I'm going into 2nd year and my schedule is kind of off because I don't have all my prereqs done (haven't taken stat 213/217 yet) so I can't take mktg317 or fnce 317 (which are the two areas I'm considering concentrating in) so I'm trying to arrange my courses so as to actually finish in 4 yrs :confused: I've heard horror stories about mktg 317 and fnce 317, but does it really matter if I take say acct 317 and hrod 317 together?

I'm so confused... any help would be really greatly appreciated!

crazydriver
04-17-2005, 09:21 PM
i'm also doing into 2nd year haskayne, so the main thing is, don't have fnce 317 and mktg 317 together and plug the rest where there's room???:dunno:

Billy
04-17-2005, 10:34 PM
yea, finance 317 and mktg 317 is a killer. putting those two together means a huge GPA drop.

random
04-18-2005, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the help guys! I'm glad that there isn't really an issue with all of them... or else I think I'd be here forever...

One more question... this is random, but just if anyone knows... I noticed a class called 'ACCT 301' on the F05/W06 timetable... anyone know what that is?

sexualbanana
04-18-2005, 08:55 PM
Don't know what it is, but 301 type classes are usually for non-business majors.

random
04-18-2005, 09:00 PM
Oh okay... good to know. Perhaps for non-Haskayne kids that just *really* want to learn accounting...

crazydriver
04-18-2005, 09:50 PM
Ahh now it makes sence, thanx guys

random
04-19-2005, 02:06 AM
Is a General BComm completely useless? I'm pretty sure I'll be applying to law after I finish my degree anyway... but if I happened to change my mind... will a General BComm have any use in terms of actually getting a job. (does anyone here know any recent BComm-general grads?)... I'll probably do it anyway.. unless I really like FNCE 317 or something... but would be good to know if I'd be closing all other doors.

thich
04-19-2005, 08:25 AM
Specializing is usually the best route to go; there ARE jobs for General BComms but they usually don't go too far in terms of promotions through the corporate ladder.

But if you're going to get a law degree it almost makes little sense to go through a BComm route since it's hard and takes A LOT of effort to maintain a high gpa to get into Law

sexualbanana
04-19-2005, 06:04 PM
Actually, natural progression is usually from BComm to Law, and BEng to MBA.

It just seems to be the most common route people take.

Mckenzie
04-20-2005, 08:46 AM
I took OPMA 317, MGIS 317 and FNCE 317 last semester and it almost killed me....especially with the MGIS group project. I dont think I ever recovered from that semester this winter...oh well... But I would suggest trying to space it out with two a semester instead of three....my .02 anyways.

thich
04-20-2005, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by sexualbanana
Actually, natural progression is usually from BComm to Law, and BEng to MBA.

It just seems to be the most common route people take.

does natural progression usually = easiest route? :thumbsup:

lol.
i dunno, i think there's an easier way to get to law instead of thru BComm. altho i do see the merits of having a bcomm and a law degree :thumbsup:

random
04-20-2005, 12:33 PM
Yeah... it seems like a lot of people do either a BComm, or BA in Poli Sci, History, Philosophy, etc (those are the ones I've seen most), before applying to law school. I don't know which is easier but I like business a lot more... Humanities/SS classes start to get to me after a while. Although I keep hearing horror stories about FNCE317 and MKTG317 so maybe that'll change haha.

eblend
04-20-2005, 02:43 PM
definately don't take fnce317 and marketing 317 same time, not cool haha

i took marketing last semster, not bad lots of work but intersting class not boring

fnce...lots of work and very boring ,takeing it right now, not doing very hot but will come out with a b- or something for not doing much at all so its not bad either, kinda learn something but u hate doing it