PDA

View Full Version : Most Influential Engines

5.9 R/T
06-23-2002, 05:48 PM
Just curious to see what everyone thinks the most influential engines from their respective manufacturers are. Here are a few of my favorites.

Ford: 302 (5.0L) - More so then any other engine produced by ford it is the definition of muscle. Power, reliability, and a huge range of aftermarket parts make this motor tough to beat.

Chevy: 350 (5.7L) - This was a tough decision, I was leaning towards the 454 but the 350 is a much more useable motor and has seen duty in many more cars then the 454. Also picked it for the same reasons as the 302.

Dodge: 426 HEMI - Expensive but the returns are huge, there was no debating this choice.

Honda: B series engines - The prime choice for motor swaps, with most having at or near 100hp/ltr from the factory they are argueably the motor that started the import tuneing craze in the 90's.

Toyota: 3.0 I6 (supra) - Don't know a lot about toyota's engine lines and history but this seemed the obvious choice.

Nissan: SR20DET - Need I say more?

Mitsu: 4G63 - So I'm a little biased. There's no argueing this motors potential for power combined with reliability. Now if they could only get a tranny to match...

Porsche: Flat 6 - The air cooled flat six from the 911 imo is their defining motor. Nothing else says Prsche like air cooled.

Audi: Quattro - Obviously not a motor, but I had to add it in for obvious reasons. Designed by one of the Porsche family members when he was techincal director there, any Audi aicionados here that can name him?

This is all I could think of right now, feel free to add your own choices or opinions.

legendboy
06-23-2002, 06:05 PM
How about the north american industry changing 91 NSX 3.2L VTEC V6, it introduced variable valve timing system used in USDM and CDN markets.

T5_X
06-23-2002, 06:16 PM
from http://www.monito.com/wankel/mercedes.html

Daimler-Benz made several Rotary Combustion Engine (RCE) prototypes from 1962 into the early 70s.
Some were developed for small sedans, but the one of most spectacular vehicles ever to flaunt a rotary was
the two-seat C111, complete with gull-wing doors. The engine was placed mid-ship. Sixteen prototypes
were built.

The MB C111 had three- and four-rotor engines, first shown in 1969 and 1970, respectively. The
three-rotor could generate 280 bhp and move the car 0 to 60 in 4.9 seconds.

The four-rotor developed as much as 400 horsepower, though it was usually tuned for the street at 305
horsepower. The engine had a displacement of 2.4 litres. There were interesting innovations such as a
variable length intake and an anti-lock braking system (ABS). The car weighed 2900 pounds, but was
capable of 185 mph. When tuned for 350 hp it did 0 to 60 mph in under 4.8 seconds. The body was
changed from the previous year by adding air scoops in the front and cut-aways in the rear roof.

The project was headed by Dr Hans Liebold. It ultimately fell victim to the oil crisis and a timid board with
a "not-invented-here" attitude. This was a shame because the cars were unfailingly reliable and wonderful
at holding the road. At the high-point and termination in 1978 it set speed records of 403 km/h (250 mph).

What else? hmmmmmm

Ford 427 Cobra jet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ford 351 Cleveland & Windsor
1957 Corvette 283 ci 283 hp fuel injected V-8 - way ahead of it's time
And not really an engine, but the turbo GM made for Grand Nationals, at its best it was put on the 4.3L V-6 for the syclone/typhoon with 280HP/350TQ

Oh yah.... I believe GM was experimenting with VVT since the 50s or 60s

Oh yah, just thought of a couple more:
Mazda's 2.5L duratec V-6. hahaha, you may be like wtf? but this kicked off a huge explosion of joint mazda/ford produced duratec engines. These engines are gonna be in so many of ford's and mazda's vehicles in the next few years that they'll probably be the most common family of engine on the road. The current big starters are the new 2.3 I-4 that's in the ranger. It's gonna kick off a whole new line of engines for the ranger and possibly other vehicles, rumored to be an I-5 to replace the standard pushrod 3L (my engine) and an I-6 to replace the SOHC 4L. This is good news, since the SOHC V-6 is way too weak to compete with GM's new 4.2 vortec I-6, so expect to see it in rangers and explorers and mazda varients.
Also, the 3L duratec that's in the escape/tribute now has big plans. You know the new Aston Martin V-12 Vanquish? Well apparently that V-12 is basically 2 duratec 3Ls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The 3L may also go into a future V-6 miata. Also, expect Them to put variable valve timing onto this engine soon, bringing it up to 220+ HP soon
As for the 2.5, well it hasn't died. It was used in to contour, and SVT contour (200HP) and is currently in the cougar.

And I don't know much about it, but GM's new ecotech is supposed to be one hell of a base engine that every company is gonna have trouble competing with.

Ekliptix
06-23-2002, 06:37 PM
Typhoon/Cyclone/Grand National/Type-T engines.

ninspeed
06-23-2002, 07:04 PM
4g64
4g63
6G72TT
and
b16a1

my favorite engines right now

2000impreza
06-23-2002, 07:05 PM
subaru ej20
mitsu 4G63

lets of history behind both of these engines.

redline
06-23-2002, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by legendboy
How about the north american industry changing 91 NSX 3.2L VTEC V6, it introduced variable valve timing system used in USDM and CDN markets.

in 91 the NSX engine was only a 3.0l and the b16a1 made the first appearence in 89 in JDM land and other places in the world.

I can not remember the engine code but the skyline engine.

I would not have put the DSM engine on the list with the others.

5.9 R/T
06-23-2002, 07:14 PM
I wouldn't count the NSX motor as most influential because VVT had already been around for years and it wasn't until the B series engines that it was available to the masses. Also the MB rotaries never saw mass production so therefore could not really be considered most influential. However on the topic of roteries, of which I can't believe that I forgot is the RX-7 motor. Rotary power for the masses.

T5_X
06-23-2002, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T
I wouldn't count the NSX motor as most influential because VVT had already been around for years and it wasn't until the B series engines that it was available to the masses. Also the MB rotaries never saw mass production so therefore could not really be considered most influential. However on the topic of roteries, of which I can't believe that I forgot is the RX-7 motor. Rotary power for the masses.

I would call this engine one of the most influential engines because:

"NSU was very astute in requiring license holders to share research results with all others"

I'd say for early development of performance rotary engines, MB played by far the biggest part.

rage2
06-23-2002, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by redline
I can not remember the engine code but the skyline engine.

SR26DETT

2000impreza
06-23-2002, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by rage2

SR26DETT

skyline isn't a SR motor. its RB26DETT.

oh yeah. can't forget the toyota 2JZGTE

Fluidic
06-23-2002, 09:20 PM
Volkswagen VR6 12V

redline
06-23-2002, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Fluidic Digital
Volkswagen VR6 12V

why?

4wheeldrift
06-23-2002, 09:36 PM
Audi: Quattro - Obviously not a motor, but I had to add it in for obvious reasons. Designed by one of the Porsche family members when he was techincal director there, any Audi aicionados here that can name him?

That would be Dr. Ferdinand Piech, grandson of Ferdinand Porsche.

rage2
06-23-2002, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by 2000impreza
skyline isn't a SR motor. its RB26DETT.

Oops... guess I aint' a Nissan expert.

kenny
06-23-2002, 11:03 PM
Volkswagen VR6 12V

rofl :rofl:

rage2
06-23-2002, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
That would be Dr. Ferdinand Piech, grandson of Ferdinand Porsche.

Did you know Porsche designed a 2 stage cam profile system back in the 30's (I think around that era) for varying valve lift duration? It was only used on his race cars because of the costs. The system is nearly identical to the VTEC system of today.

Fluidic
06-23-2002, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by redline

why?

Hmmm... cause it's known for it's legendary success amoung the automobile industry, for it's super smooth power band... I could keep going on... but I'm not... LOL

Peace

GT2NV
06-23-2002, 11:16 PM
yeah my buddy has a VR6, all i can say about it after one ride in it is that :hitit: but i sure didnt have enough money to buy one :( anyways ..!!VR6 forsure!!! but mods = VERY expensive

4wheeldrift
06-24-2002, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by rage2

Did you know Porsche designed a 2 stage cam profile system back in the 30's (I think around that era) for varying valve lift duration? It was only used on his race cars because of the costs. The system is nearly identical to the VTEC system of today.

Ferdinand Porsche is one of the most brilliant designers in the history of automobiles. Many of the innovations he created were years ahead of their time, things that are taken for granted today but were absolutely bleeding edge at the time.

redline
06-24-2002, 07:52 AM

Hmmm... cause it's known for it's legendary success amoung the automobile industry, for it's super smooth power band... I could keep going on... but I'm not... LOL

Peace

that does not make it an influential engine. It might be a good engine but it does not have a lot of aftermarket support and if you compare it too a B series honda engine or most of the other engines in the list that 5.9r/t posted it does not share much in common with those engine in terms of production numbers or love from the general public.

Fluidic
06-24-2002, 11:22 AM
I would have to disagree with you in regards to the "lack" of aftermarket support: it indeed has a ton of people bowing before it's feet!

You name it: they make it for the VR6 12V:

Cams,
Superchargers,
Turbos,
ECU upgrades,
Upgraded Pistons,
Upgraded Valve Springs,
Upgraded Cranks,

etc, etc, etc, etc

:)

Peace Bro!

Peter

Audi Kid
06-24-2002, 11:31 AM
peter you dont have the 24valve man

Ben
06-24-2002, 11:32 AM
Audis 2.7L 30V Biturbo is a sweet Peice of work, as is that 16 cyclinder Bugatti quad turbo jobbie...

http://members.albertacars.net/benny/Bugatti4.jpg

These new W engines that VW has come up with are quite the build...

This one generates 1001bhp, and 922 lb/ft of torque.

Acceleration? Well, its the only production car on the planet to hit 300km/h in less than 14 seconds...

5.9 R/T
06-24-2002, 11:48 AM
If I were to pick a VW engine it would probably be the 1.8T or the air cooled (porsche design again!) engine from the old beetle. The 1.8 because it's cheap, fast, and relatively easy to tune, and the old beetle because a role of ducktape could fix almost any problem you had with it. 4wheeldrift good job, that is correct. Not only was porsche working with different cam profiles and various engine layouts for several manufacteres and race teams (they were mostly a werks shop in the beginning) porsche also was running a motor with over 100hp/ltr almost 80 years ago! Argueably the most brilliant engineer in automotive history.

I'm curious why no one has mentioned BMW or Ferrari engines yet? I can't pick a specific motor from either company but surely they deserve a mention.

Ben
06-24-2002, 11:50 AM
1.8L cheap? Hardly...

To swap that motor into my car, it is upwards of 11000 dollars... That is a very expensive motor....

Replacements run about 6000 USD...

5.9 R/T
06-24-2002, 11:54 AM
On the options list which is cheaper the 1.8T or the VR6? Then what is cheaper, parts for the 1.8T or the VR6?

Ben
06-24-2002, 12:10 PM
In truth, they are both very expensive engines to mod.

The 1.8T can get an early jump on the VR6 due to a chip that cranks up boost, but after that, its a dead even hurdle of cost for mods...

T5_X
06-24-2002, 12:17 PM
Couple more:

Cadillac: 4.6L 32V Northstar V-8 http://popularmechanics.com/popmech/out/9810BOATZAJ.jpg

Ford 2.3L

5.9 R/T
06-24-2002, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Benny
In truth, they are both very expensive engines to mod.

The 1.8T can get an early jump on the VR6 due to a chip that cranks up boost, but after that, its a dead even hurdle of cost for mods...

Ok so you get, what, 20hp from the chip? Then after that most bolt on mods would cost about the same, until you get to the 'brick wall' of the engines, in which case the 1.8T will be cheaper and easier to mod, less pistons, simpler head design, and it's already set up for FI. Also take the intial cost of the engine into consideration. What's the VR6's premium over the 1.8T on a new car? 500-3000 bucks? So you get ~20hp, less cost for buildup, and less intial cost. How are they equal? I don't even know why I'm argueing this, neither engine really is worthy of 'most influential engine' status for VW.

Ben
06-24-2002, 12:47 PM
I never said they were equal, never once, I just said that they are both expensive, and that the 1.8T gets an easy bump with the chip, after that it is very expensive no matter what engine...some mods for the 1.8T are more expensive than some mode for the VR6 and vice versa...damn you always get so defensive in EVERY SINGLE debate...

Oh and BTW, The VR6 only comes on the Premier models, you CANNOT buy a 1.8T in a GLX model, just the same, you cannot get the VR6 in a Base GL or GLS, hense the MORE EXPENSIVE COST...The GLX comes with the deluxe package, leather seats, real wood grain trim, premium sterio, etc etc etc...

5.9 R/T
06-24-2002, 01:15 PM
Isn't that what you do in a debate, defend and argue? I dunno, maybe i missed something? Hope this isn't too DEFENSIVE for you, sheesh. Anyway this is what you said:

"but after that, its a dead even hurdle of cost for mods"

Your exact words, so yes you did say they were even. I can understand if you were talking about simple bolt-ons that may be true, but once you start building up both motors the VR6 will be more expensive. Therefore the 1.8T is the cheaper motor, not only because of cheaper mods but also less intial cost, no matter what option group it is or isn't in.

Ben
06-24-2002, 02:22 PM
I dont know where your shopping then...VR6 12'v are going for 2699USD, 1.8T 5499...its a newer motor, its a 5 valve per cylinder turbocharged motor developed by Audi...VR6 is a narrow V 12 Valve motor that is 10 years old in design.

As far as what I wrote, I was referring to size of cost, its a huge hurdle for both cars when it comes to mods to make them fast...They both run the same track, either car you pick, they are expensive as hell to Mod...By Hurdles, I ment "Problem" as Hurdles are often used to symbolize problems in writings form...both cars have the same "Problems" when it comes to mods, extreme expense!

Take out Hurdle and substitude Problem in...get where I'm comming from?

I'm in no way trying to cause an argument, just trying to clarify, as arguemnts are often caused by inclarification as wel as misunderstanding:thumbsup:

Isn't that what you do in a debate, defend and argue? I dunno, maybe i missed something? Hope this isn't too DEFENSIVE for you, sheesh.

yes, but you always end up getting all worked up...

either way, back on topic!

5.9 R/T
06-24-2002, 03:58 PM
I wasn't worked up at all, simply stating facts, either way it's a useless arguement and pointless to continue. Another engine that most definately should be added to the list is the Cosworth turbo 4. Incredible engine that NA never got to see in production form.

Clem
06-24-2002, 04:12 PM
Ford:

GM:

Dodge:
426 Hemi

Toyota;
2JZ (Supra Motor)

BMW:
S52/S52 (E36 M3)
S54 (E46 M3)
S62 (E39 M5)

Wankel Rotary Engine

Various Exotic car engines but that's a given.

GT2NV
06-24-2002, 04:58 PM
i know i know but the costs of modding it is what im talking about fluidic :confused:

SwitchBlade
12-20-2003, 01:56 PM
Renesis 1.3L, i think it won a award this year for best inovation or something to the likes.

2JZGTTE :D

4wheeldrift
12-20-2003, 02:03 PM
Good god is this ever an old thread.

Ashkente
12-20-2003, 02:05 PM
I'd say the 4A platform for Toyota, or the 3S-GTE. Both have racing heritage and saw use in a number of vehicles. :)

CelicaST-162
12-20-2003, 02:06 PM
Just curious to see what everyone thinks the most influential engines from their respective manufacturers are. Here are a few of my favorites.

Ford: 302 (5.0L) - More so then any other engine produced by ford it is the definition of muscle. Power, reliability, and a huge range of aftermarket parts make this motor tough to beat.

Chevy: 350 (5.7L) - This was a tough decision, I was leaning towards the 454 but the 350 is a much more useable motor and has seen duty in many more cars then the 454. Also picked it for the same reasons as the 302.

Dodge: 426 HEMI - Expensive but the returns are huge, there was no debating this choice.

Honda: B series engines - The prime choice for motor swaps, with most having at or near 100hp/ltr from the factory they are argueably the motor that started the import tuneing craze in the 90's.

Toyota: 3.0 I6 (supra) - Don't know a lot about toyota's engine lines and history but this seemed the obvious choice.

Nissan: SR20DET - Need I say more?

Mitsu: 4G63 - So I'm a little biased. There's no argueing this motors potential for power combined with reliability. Now if they could only get a tranny to match...

Porsche: Flat 6 - The air cooled flat six from the 911 imo is their defining motor. Nothing else says Prsche like air cooled.

This is all I could think of right now, feel free to add your own choices or opinions.

Those supra engines...:drool: 5M-GE, 6M-GE (GTE), 7M-GE (GTE), 2JZ-GE (GTE)..But the most influential engine in my opinion goes to the 4A-GE (GZE), and the 3S-GE (GTE) both engines were introduced in the mid-late eightys as high performance engines, those engines included the Twin Cam, 4 valve per cylinder technology which revolutionized engine technology up to today as you see in the hondas, nissans etc. (Toyota)

Ashkente
12-20-2003, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by CelicaST-162

Those supra engines...:drool: 5M-GE, 6M-GE (GTE), 7M-GE (GTE), 2JZ-GE (GTE)..But the most influential engine in my opinion goes to the 4A-GE (GZE), and the 3S-GE (GTE) both engines were introduced in the mid-late eightys as high performance engines, those engines included the Twin Cam, 4 valve per cylinder technology which revolutionized engine technology up to today as you see in the hondas, nissans etc. (Toyota)

Haha, posted 1 min after me :thumbsup:

4wheeldrift
12-20-2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by CelicaST-162

Those supra engines...:drool: 5M-GE, 6M-GE (GTE), 7M-GE (GTE), 2JZ-GE (GTE)..But the most influential engine in my opinion goes to the 4A-GE (GZE), and the 3S-GE (GTE) both engines were introduced in the mid-late eightys as high performance engines, those engines included the Twin Cam, 4 valve per cylinder technology which revolutionized engine technology up to today as you see in the hondas, nissans etc. (Toyota) Not wanting to bust your chops, but dual overhead cam technology is well over 80 years old now, and 4 valve per cylinder motors aren't a whole lot newer. Most of the manufacturers had been playing with motors of that type back in the 60s for street cars. The motors in the supras are more notable for being built like a brick shithouse than because of any technical innovation built into them (there really isn't anything that hadn't been done before).

jdmsource
12-20-2003, 02:19 PM
b18c5 my favorite honda motor

hampstor
12-20-2003, 02:23 PM
Definately the 427 cobrajet for ford

for nissan, it'll be the FJ20ET (dunno why they didnt put the D in the code despite being twin cam), VQ series, and especially the SR/RB for their tuning potential.

04blackMAX
12-20-2003, 02:41 PM
VQ35DE:thumbsup:

hjr
12-20-2003, 04:35 PM
Good god is this ever an old thread.
haha, 6 months old!!! Well its a good thread and ill put in my opinion for VW, the 1200cc-1600cc Flat 4 air cooled engine of the beelte, microbus, karmann ghia, porsche 914, and a few other units was VW most influential motor.

4wheeldrift
12-20-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by hjr

haha, 6 months old!!! Try a year and six months ;)

TyLs6
12-20-2003, 04:43 PM
You forgot the Chevy 302.

Ty,

5.9 R/T
12-20-2003, 04:48 PM
Jeeps 4L I6.

rx7_turbo2
12-20-2003, 04:52 PM
13BT?

Nobody mentioned rotary. Maybe not all that influential in the giant grand scheme of things, but worth noting for the simple fact it's completely different.

4wheeldrift
12-20-2003, 04:52 PM
The DOHC inline 6s used in the Jaguar XKs.

tegdream
12-20-2003, 05:00 PM
the VQ35 will be influential in many many years to come1

Ashkente
12-20-2003, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by rx7_turbo2
13BT?

Nobody mentioned rotary. Maybe not all that influential in the giant grand scheme of things, but worth noting for the simple fact it's completely different.

Hey man, I'll second that :thumbsup: Still one of the coolest engines out there! (figuratively, haha!)

hampstor
12-20-2003, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by TyLs6
You forgot the Chevy 302.

Ty,

Chev has a 302? I thought it was a 305 ...

02bump'nWRX
12-20-2003, 09:32 PM
Small block Chevy. The most winningest engine in the history of automibiles!! Can't argue with that. Everything from the 283 fulie in the 57 vette to the high revving 305 Z28 motor in the 68 camaro to the LT1's and now LS1 and LS6's. these are some of the best motors ever made. May lack in technology but make up in reliablity and power.

Moe Man
12-20-2003, 09:46 PM
i would say the best engine is the 5.7l chevy......i dont think there is a engine that was used in a bigger line up than that......vett,camaro,savana,seiara,yukon,and all the brothers of them eg:T/A,suberban,express,silverodo,exclade,taho.......and soon the grand prix and buick will use it

oh and sorry about my spelling:whocares:

AutodreamMarvin
12-20-2003, 10:09 PM
nissan:vq series

toyota:the t series 2t 3t 2tgte etc.

m10-power
12-20-2003, 11:44 PM
BMW:

M10 engine

Production block used in F1 engine which produced 1475+hp from 1.5L!

Top that...anyone?

Perhaps I am bias :burnout:

rx7_turbo2
12-21-2003, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by m10-power
BMW:

M10 engine

Production block used in F1 engine which produced 1475+hp from 1.5L!

Top that...anyone?

Perhaps I am bias :burnout:

Do you have some more data on that claim? Not saying your wrong or lying just interested in it, that's a ton of power.

thich
12-21-2003, 12:34 AM
Not wanting to bust your chops, but dual overhead cam technology is well over 80 years old now, and 4 valve per cylinder motors aren't a whole lot newer. Most of the manufacturers had been playing with motors of that type back in the 60s for street cars. The motors in the supras are more notable for being built like a brick shithouse than because of any technical innovation built into them (there really isn't anything that hadn't been done before).

i think he was referring more to the 4AGE and the 3S engines...
but the 4AGE was revolutionary as it was one of the first engine to mainstream the concept of a small, high-revving engine.

CelicaST-162
12-21-2003, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by thich

but the 4AGE was revolutionary as it was one of the first engine to mainstream the concept of a small, high-revving engine.

:werd: ...to add to that those engines came with the Toyota Variable Induction System (T-VIS), bumped up the power a bit for the top rpms and that nice signature 4 cylinder growl!

04blackMAX
12-21-2003, 02:11 AM
10 best in the World

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=270122

bart
12-21-2003, 02:30 AM
TDI.

makes up for 35% of new cars sales in europe every year. :)

GT-FOUR
12-21-2003, 04:28 AM
Toyota

3S-GTE:

based off of the 503 race engine used in tonnes of race cars, for example the pikes peak celica. Also, Toyota used the 3sgte for MANY years in the WRC with something like 5 WRC championships...and continued to use it in the Corolla rally car.

The 6 cylinders like the 7mgte and 2JZ-GTE were capable off high power levels (as is the 3S-GTE), however do not have this kind of history or influence in the industry. When people swap out their 2jz for a 3s, thats telling you something!

Thats my vote, guess I'm biased...haha

-Chris

E36M3
12-21-2003, 06:10 AM
Any BMW inline 6. Smoothest engines I have ever had the fortune of driving.. there are so many great ones that I wouldn't know which would be my favorite.

In terms of most influential, I guess I'd go with any of the three major iterations of the BMW M1 powerplant. I think that it was the first "practical" supercar, and certainly the first that could be serviced without a ridiculous amount of effort.

4wheeldrift
12-21-2003, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by thich

but the 4AGE was revolutionary as it was one of the first engine to mainstream the concept of a small, high-revving engine. Apparently Datsuns L series doesn't count ;)

4wheeldrift
12-21-2003, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by bart
TDI.

makes up for 35% of new cars sales in europe every year. :) That might have something to do with the fact you are taxed up the ass on gasoline and engine displacement ;)

TyLs6
12-21-2003, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by hampstor

Chev has a 302? I thought it was a 305 ...

Yes they do have a 305 but they also did a 302ci is was basicly 283 block with a 327crank.

amazing power, and reved past 7 g they made it for there racing program, the limit was 305, but the 302 was 3 x the engine, u can find them (very rare) in 67-69 camaros.

Ty,

Maxt
12-21-2003, 10:11 AM
I would have to go with rotary power(you don't say..;) )....
Dodge engines.....hmmm 426 hemi... 354 an 392 hemis..
350 cid big block mopar, its the b engine that started it all...
The 440 was the probably one of all time best street engines..
Ford engines... probably the 427 cammer and the 429 cj's
The 351 Cleveland was a fine example of when so much is to much, the thing was a total dog on the streets, to big of valves, to big of ports for a 351 cid motor on the 4v motors....
The 302...a workhorse motor, but not that impressive really when stacked up to other smallblocks, even lowly 318's..
Chev engines...
3.8 litre v-6 for sure..
350 hp 327 v8's
The 427 mark4's..... most 454's are total dogs...
The new generation z06 is a decent motor..
The new duramax is quite impressive as well
Import motors...
The turbo supra motors, while impressive are not influential at all, the technology in those motors is not earth shatteringly new at all..
The Vw vr6 not really a ground pounder off the showroom floor, sorry guys..
The more I look I think about it, its the 354 hemi, as the most influential ever, most of the best import engines out there use hemi head technolgy that was refined by chrysler, the toyota and the best honda engines, all use hemi head configurations.... Or the buick /rover 3.5 litre aluminium v-8, the casting techniques devoloped for that motor are still used to this day..Maxt

Loose
12-21-2003, 12:46 PM
NSX motor, C30 or something....first production engine with VTEC. Paved the way for variocam, VVTI, etc...

VW 1.8T, brought back the turbo motor's popularity in the last few years

I'd like to think the Cadiallac Northstar to, for being the first mass produced 32V V8 (i think).

Big difference between influential and best though... for best I'd say:
LS1 (and 3800 series)
2JZ-GTE
E46 M3 motor

ehos
12-21-2003, 12:55 PM
How could you forget the good ole air cooled VW engine?

Same basic engine been around for over 60 years, modded to hell and back, etc etc.

Long after these rice cars are rusted out and forgotten, acvw's will still be on the road.

Look ma, it's a 1970 CVCC Civic!!

88CRX
12-21-2003, 01:04 PM

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: too bad honda decided to slack off for over a decade and use the same engine over and over again. :thumbsdow

three.eighteen.
12-21-2003, 01:05 PM
bmw s14, the original m3 engine...found in E36 touring cars at one point

redx2nv
12-21-2003, 01:30 PM
Chevy:
4.3 FI v6-Syty
3.8 FI v6-GN
LS1-Camaro/Vette
LT4-ZR1 Vette :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
32V Northstar

Ford:
351 cleveland
2.3 FI-Turbo stang

Dodge:
360(my fav)
426 Hemi
2.2 FI-ShelbyZ

Honda:
B18C5-ITR
3.0-NSXR
K20A2-RSX/S

Toyota:
1JZ-JDM MkIII Supra
2JZ-MKIIII Supra
3SGTE-2G MR2
4AGZE-1G MR2

Nissan:
SR20-Silivia
RB26-Skyline

Mazda
3 Rotor-Cosmos
20B-RX7

DeathBy240
12-21-2003, 05:26 PM
Most influencial Nissan eninge, how come nobody has mentioned the FJ20ET?!?!?!?! It the engine that started the supercar status of the Skyline. It wasnt the first Skyline engine, but it was the one that made a name for the Skyline.

hampstor
12-21-2003, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by DeathBy240
Most influencial Nissan eninge, how come nobody has mentioned the FJ20ET?!?!?!?! It the engine that started the supercar status of the Skyline. It wasnt the first Skyline engine, but it was the one that made a name for the Skyline.

I mentioned it a few posts up :D

Good call though, FJ20ET was an awesome engine

twincharged86
12-21-2003, 08:23 PM
every variation of the 4AGE!

that motor has been used in CART, drift, rally, and the basic design of the motor has been utilized (up till about '98) since it's introduction in '83.

m10-power
12-21-2003, 08:43 PM

Do you have some more data on that claim? Not saying your wrong or lying just interested in it, that's a ton of power.

http://www.320i.com/bt52_04-BMW%20F1%20Turbo%20engine-Smaller.jpg

Link to more info on those engines (http://www.research-racing.de/bmwturbo.htm)

Remember too these were 1.5 hour+ races at those levels qualifying engines produced near 1500hp (from 1.5L)

Alpine Autowerks
12-21-2003, 08:45 PM

the m12/13 engine was based on USED 320i blocks, it put out 7-800 in race trim, and once hit 1400 + on a development dyno. they used high milage blocks from taxis so there would be no core shift. the qualifying gernade engines (3 lap wonders) could put out 1100 hp.

rx7_turbo2
12-21-2003, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Alpine Autowerks

the m12/13 engine was based on USED 320i blocks, it put out 7-800 in race trim, and once hit 1400 + on a development dyno. they used high milage blocks from taxis so there would be no core shift. the qualifying gernade engines (3 lap wonders) could put out 1100 hp.

Cool, thanks guy's:D

m10-power
12-21-2003, 09:17 PM
Marc,
Info I had on these engines came from a BMW video with an interview with Paul Rosche (engine developer) I've had a difficult time finding any more info other then vague info on the net. As with anything F1 hard power numbers seem very elusive, curious where your numbers came from and if you know of anywhere else I could get information about these engines?
Paul

HillBilly
12-22-2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by ninspeed
4g64
4g63
6G72TT
and
b16a1

my favorite engines right now

6G72TT - My favorite right now too!

100hp/litre stock, in 1991!

Drsuce
05-15-2004, 01:23 AM
4-AGE 1.6L

one of the most used engines in the world for racing.... this engine made imports what they are now :)

Sean7
05-15-2004, 01:48 AM
Great job resurrecting this thread........It was started June 6, 2002!!!! :closed:

Kor
05-15-2004, 01:53 AM
Great job resurrecting this thread........It was started June 6, 2002!!!!

Oh yeah, just noticed this too, guess replying is kinda useless :)

T5_X
05-15-2004, 02:21 AM
Who the fuck cares what time it was started!? I'd rather have these old threads we had back in the day that are good for a general car enthusiast forum rather than many of the new useless threads.

Anyway, to add to a very old post, I'd say Audi's line of 5 cylinder engines which inspired good engines by Honda and Volvo and are still used today by Volvo. Combining the efficiency of a 4 cyl with the grunt of an I6 :thumbsup:

Maxt
05-15-2004, 08:41 AM
Old thread.... And vr-6's still suck.....:poosie:

iceburns288
05-15-2004, 08:45 AM
The flat-12 engine from the Ferrari 512 Berlinetta Boxer. First F12 ever, and I think there have been very few since.

1badPT
05-15-2004, 12:03 PM
Hey cool thread, and I like most of whats been posted, even though there are some that I'm not familiar with, but I'll look into them.

Only one I'll add is the PT Cruiser GT/SRT-4 Engine

Chryco 2.4L I4 DOHC HO Turbo

Still pretty new, but the engine (or at least the SRT-4's existance) has had a big impact on the sport compact scene.

Meteorite
05-17-2004, 12:00 AM
Shouldn't "Influential" be leading edge or historical technology, Such as the early 4 cyl Ford "Tin Lizzie" engines that powered the Model T's, and the Ford Flatheads of the thirties and forties?

Why do historical engines have to be automotive? Wouldn't the Rolls Royce Merlin engine or the P series Curtis engine qualify as historically signifigant and all-time great

How about the B series Austin engines that powered so many millions of British cars from the post war period right up to the mid seventies? And of course, the VW flat 4 engine that powered so many millions and millions of Beetles (and Porsche 356's & 914's). How about Citroens D series 4 that powered 40 years of Citroens? What about Mercedes' model OM617 5 cyl turbodiesel, or Volvo's B series 1800 motor that has the distinction of having the most miles on it of any gasoline engined car in continuous use?

Closer to home, what about GM's Blue Flame Six, or Oldsmobile's Rocket 88, or the earliest Cadillac engines that were used in everything from American barges to Alards and Cunninghams, to 392/426 Hemi's? Also Small Block Chevrolets, and the Y block Ford?

More recently, the B18 Hondas and DSM's, the modern Porsche Flat 6, and the 3.8 litre GM or Cummins Diesels?

5.9 R/T
05-17-2004, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by Meteorite
Shouldn't "Influential" be leading edge or historical technology, Such as the early 4 cyl Ford "Tin Lizzie" engines that powered the Model T's, and the Ford Flatheads of the thirties and forties?

Why do historical engines have to be automotive? Wouldn't the Rolls Royce Merlin engine or the P series Curtis engine qualify as historically signifigant and all-time great

How about the B series Austin engines that powered so many millions of British cars from the post war period right up to the mid seventies? And of course, the VW flat 4 engine that powered so many millions and millions of Beetles (and Porsche 356's & 914's). How about Citroens D series 4 that powered 40 years of Citroens? What about Mercedes' model OM617 5 cyl turbodiesel, or Volvo's B series 1800 motor that has the distinction of having the most miles on it of any gasoline engined car in continuous use?

Closer to home, what about GM's Blue Flame Six, or Oldsmobile's Rocket 88, or the earliest Cadillac engines that were used in everything from American barges to Alards and Cunninghams, to 392/426 Hemi's? Also Small Block Chevrolets, and the Y block Ford?

More recently, the B18 Hondas and DSM's, the modern Porsche Flat 6, and the 3.8 litre GM or Cummins Diesels?

If you bothered to read through the 3 pages or so of this thread you would realize that most of what you said has already been mentioned.

Meteorite
05-17-2004, 12:25 AM
ReallY?
Some were, I see - some weren't.

I have been warned that newbies on this site can expect to get a hard time by people who have a few hundred posts under their belt.
Oh well, point taken.
Yes, I read the posts, and just offered my my opinions of what were histotical and influential engines. And yes, I did concur with some other people on a few.
Your point is....?